BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello

This is not too taxing and is my first puzzle, so go easy on me!

There are four cards on the table with faces showing either a letter or a number:

B D 3 7

Given that each card has a letter on one side and a number on the other, which 2 cards would you need to turn over to prove the statement that all cards with a B face have a 3 on the other side?

Maybe not what you first think: You need to turn the B card and the 7 card.

You need to turn the B card to check that there's a number 3 on the other side. The D card proves nothing. It doesn't matter what's on the reverse of the 3 card - the statement only says that a B card has a 3 on the other side NOT that a 3 must have a B on the other side. Turning the 7 card as well as the B card proves the statement one way or the other - if there's a B on the reverse of the 7 card then the statement will be proved to be wrong, otherwise it's true.

9 answers to this question

Hello

This is not too taxing and is my first puzzle, so go easy on me!

There are four cards on the table with faces showing either a letter or a number:

B D 3 7

Given that each card has a letter on one side and a number on the other, which 2 cards would you need to turn over to prove the statement that all cards with a B face have a 3 on the other side?

Maybe not what you first think: You need to turn the B card and the 7 card.

You need to turn the B card to check that there's a number 3 on the other side. The D card proves nothing. It doesn't matter what's on the reverse of the 3 card - the statement only says that a B card has a 3 on the other side NOT that a 3 must have a B on the other side. Turning the 7 card as well as the B card proves the statement one way or the other - if there's a B on the reverse of the 7 card then the statement will be proved to be wrong, otherwise it's true.

I'm not sure about the logic to your answer. You say that all 4 cards are showing their faces. Then you ask: prove that B faces have a 3 on the other side. Since there is only 1 card with a B face, you need only turn that card over. All other cards are irrelevant because they don't have B faces.

I'm not sure about the logic to your answer. You say that all 4 cards are showing their faces. Then you ask: prove that B faces have a 3 on the other side. Since there is only 1 card with a B face, you need only turn that card over. All other cards are irrelevant because they don't have B faces.

As there is a letter or number on either side of each card, each card has two faces. As they are sitting on a table, you can only see one of them. If that's caused you confusion, then I apologise. Does that make sense?

Suppose there were a B on the back side of the 7 card.

As there is a letter or number on either side of each card, each card has two faces. As they are sitting on a table, you can only see one of them. If that's caused you confusion, then I apologise. Does that make sense?

Well, I got it in the first place. I was just making the point that the opposite side of a card isn't called it's face. It's a petty semantic thing I guess. Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Wait, I've just realized something that would make Skinny's reasoning wrong.

If 3, D, and 7 are all considered to be face cards as well as B, then there is no reason for the 7 to be flipped. 7 would be the same as 3, according to your answer.

So the correct answer is only B.

Assuming you have already turned over the B. Turn over 3 and you either have a B or something else. If it is a B, then you haven't discounted that there could also be one on the reverse side of the 7 (which would prove the statement incorrect). If there isn't a B on the reverse side of the 3, you don't disprove the statement (the statement doesn't say that on the other side of 3 there is always a B). So you must turn the 7, which is the only card which will prove or disprove the statement.

I think this had better be my first and last puzzle - I don't think I'm cut out for it!