BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

Can you think of a way to accurately weigh your own head?:unsure:

zero-gravity environment, then you can be certain your head weighs nothing!

...or...

Cut off (a statistically significant sample size of) heads of other people. Weigh them and find their volume. Calculate densities of the sample heads. Find the mean density. Measure your own head and use the mean density to calculate the weight. Then run from the law.

EDIT: I see your response to Alyanna. My second option would have a similar problem, though it would still be a fun experiment (maybe for ThunderChicken to try). Guess I have to stick with the first one.

Edited by Cherry Lane

You can accurately measure the *volume* of your head by dunking in a brim full container of water and measuring the volume of water that spilt out.

This could be done by measuring the amount of water in the container (eg: bucket) at the start (weight or volume)

Dunk your head in, this will force water to flow out of the container.

Take your head out and measure what is left in the container. Subtract this amount from the original.

The human body has a density farily similar to water, so you could get a rough idea of the weight of your head by weighing the water instead of measuring its volume.

I said to measure both the weight and volume. It you don't have scales then by measuring the volume you can work out the weight using the volume..

This way would be less messy.

If anyone opts to try some of the other ways, I'd suggest you call 111 (or whatevery the emergency number in their country is) before you do it.

Edited by Tearz

Freeze the body first.

Of course, that would mean someone else could accurately weigh my head. Not myself. :P

Yes, it was my desire to remain alive that led to my plan to weigh other people's heads. I like the freezing thing. Then it just might work.

You would need to know exactly where to cut the neck so as not to lose any grams or have too many. The blood must be included I suppose. Buy a guillotine and weigh the bucket first in order to subtract that weight from the overall. Of course this requires an assistant.

If this is regarding the head of a beer, then scrape or blow it on to a scale .... :lol:

Edited by akaslickster

Dunking your whole body in a tank of water and measuring it's volume. Then, submerge your body only up to your chin and measure the volume.

When dry, weigh yourself on a scale.

From that information create a formula based on percentage of volume that your head occupies on your body...use that percentage to calculate the weight of your head.

Okay, so you will not get an exact weight because you are not accounting for mass, but it will be pretty darn close.

That would require alot of water and alot of measureing....

don't be a sissie! :D

Hey, if anyone is able to solve this with a good deal of accuracy, then I would really like to know how to calculate the weight of my breasts (my poor shoulders are aching all the time! :) )

don't be a sissie! :D

Hey, if anyone is able to solve this with a good deal of accuracy, then I would really like to know how to calculate the weight of my breasts (my poor shoulders are aching all the time! :) )

I can accurately teel by placing my hands gentley and carefully under them, then lift them them up a few inches and wha -hey!!

Dunking your whole body in a tank of water and measuring it's volume. Then, submerge your body only up to your chin and measure the volume.

When dry, weigh yourself on a scale.

From that information create a formula based on percentage of volume that your head occupies on your body...use that percentage to calculate the weight of your head.

Okay, so you will not get an exact weight because you are not accounting for mass, but it will be pretty darn close.

This is possibly the most accurate so far and as an added bonus you get to live still. This answer also assumes no difference in body density and as LIS pointed out some people's heads are pretty dense. :)

I can accurately teel by placing my hands gentley and carefully under them, then lift them them up a few inches and wha -hey!!

I'm not entirely sure that would be considered sound scientific methodology. ;)

I just tried it. My head weighed 12.5 lbs. :)

Big head! - you can't deny it PG - you posted the proof - or you could have proven density - :P

if we all use the same method - it wont be so random - um why do we need to know/do this

Big head! - you can't deny it PG - you posted the proof - or you could have proven density - :P

if we all use the same method - it wont be so random - um why do we need to know/do this

It just makes for good discussion. :)

Maybe you can take your twin's head and weigh that. Although they may get the same idea. ;)

Hey, I just thought of some other variables:

- hair

- jewelry

- medical alterations (ex: glass eye, metal plate, gold teeth, chin implant...you get the idea)

- sinus congestion

geesh, we'd better call Charlie Eppes to create some sort of algorythm :o

Hey, I just thought of some other variables:

- hair

- jewelry

- medical alterations (ex: glass eye, metal plate, gold teeth, chin implant...you get the idea)

- sinus congestion

geesh, we'd better call Charlie Eppes to create some sort of algorythm :o

Well thats none with me.... so 12.7 safely

:lol: