BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

My friend and I had a recent discussion on the classification of the language 'c'.

I said "c is a middle level language".

He said "c is classified under high level language, since there are only two general classifications: high level and low level".

Who is wrong?

15 answers to this question

a description of C:

C is an imperative (procedural) systems implementation language. It was designed to be compiled using a relatively straightforward compiler, to provide low-level access to memory, to provide language constructs that map efficiently to machine instructions, and to require minimal run-time support. C was therefore useful for many applications that had formerly been coded in assembly language.

Despite its low-level capabilities, the language was designed to encourage...blablabla

a description of C:

C is an imperative (procedural) systems implementation language. It was designed to be compiled using a relatively straightforward compiler, to provide low-level access to memory, to provide language constructs that map efficiently to machine instructions, and to require minimal run-time support. C was therefore useful for many applications that had formerly been coded in assembly language.

Despite its low-level capabilities, the language was designed to encourage...blablabla

looks like wiki agrees - I had it the wrong way round, based on english needs to be simplified and direct english translation syntax which is very high level - hope i made some sense

C is a general purpose structured language. Though C resembles with high level languages like Pascal or FORTRAN-77, it has additional features however that allows it to be used at a lower level. Hence it is the bridging gap between machine language and high level language.

This is the introduction given by a textbook which I am using to learn C.

lol, looks like an old book, if it mentions Pascal and FORTRAN ;D

yeah...I HAVE to study from that book. The syllabus is outdated! All hail the Mumbai University :P

You will be surprised to know that I have to study FOXPRO!!!! <_<

What do I say more? :rolleyes:

yeah...I HAVE to study from that book. The syllabus is outdated! All hail the Mumbai University :P

You will be surprised to know that I have to study FOXPRO!!!! <_<

What do I say more? :rolleyes:

Just thought that I would add the fact that Fortran is so, so obsolete and passe' but my bro is now a successful programmer thanks to cobal and pinball machines. He is 43 years old and dealing with my neices at 3 years old in California. happy day you all.

Edited by akaslickster

neither, it is low level

Hi unreality, I'm surprised to hear that. Can you please mention the sources. I always thought that a low level language is the one that is:

1) Not English like.

2) Hence difficult for humans to read and understand the logic.

3) Communicates directly with the microprocessors.

Where as, C is:

1) English like.

2) Hence easy for humans to read and understand the logic.

3) Needs compilers to communicate with the microprocessors.

Please Justify/Clarify.

'C' is considered a low-level language because you can access your hardware directly and do things that are not possible with higher level programming languages. E.g. format a single track on a floppy/hard-disk with unusual sector size, tinker with memory - peek/poke.

My friend and I had a recent discussion on the classification of the language 'c'.

I said "c is a middle level language".

He said "c is classified under high level language, since there are only two general classifications: high level and low level".

Who is wrong?

uummm i thought it was a low level? :mellow:

I would say it is a low-level language because almost all of the basic constructs of C map directly to series of instructions to your machine. The "high-level" part comes in because it can support abstract data types from basics such as arrays to more advanced ones like structs. These things are usually found in higher-level languages, such as C++.