BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Mafia III

unreality

Question

Mafia III

Sign up now ;D 12 is the absolute minimum, though 15 is the real minimum. 18 would be awesome, and 21 is ideal for what I have in mind (more than 21 is even better tongue.gif)

Check out Mafia II for more information on what Mafia is, and the concepts and stuff:

Post #29 - Rules
Post #17 - Strategy Tips
Post #51 - Intro
Post #65 - A Wild Evening
Post #77 - The Blue Octane
Post #159 - To The Sharks!!!
Post #174 - Open Warfare
Post #338 - The Web of Lies
Post #360 - Last Girl Standing
Post #429 - A Firelit Lynching (& Epilogue)

I won't post the official rules and roles for Mafia III until I know how many people are playing, so sign up quick biggrin.gif

* Dnae is invincible for the first night and first day
* Puzzlegirl is invincible for the first night

(If you don't know, those two are invincible because they died first & second in Mafia II)

the roster:

Host: Unreality
1) dnae
2) puzzlegirl
3)

• Answers 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't want to trust him blowing another innocent role. Plus if he is actually a baddie this time then people will be less likely to vote for him.

Totally agree with you there.

Got it. New Role

"The Lawyer"

The job of the Lawyer is to defend the most accused character during a lynching. The Lawyer learns the role of the accused and does their best to defend the accused person (accused meaning there is a supreme majority in favor of the accused. At least 3 votes in the majority).

The Lawyer is impartial, because the lawyer wins by "saving" (swaying the mob away from the accused) three people during the course of the game. Like the Mayor, the lawyer is confirmed as an innocent (kind of) so as not to be lynched himself. The lawyer may or may not be requested by the accused, however if he is, he may do whatever is necessary to defend the client (out the accused person's real role, or claim that he is a different role entirely).

How's that?

Letting him know what role the accuser is would be a little too much power. Otherwise, great idea.

It's no more than the other roles get as far as knowledge is concerned. The accused must ask for the Lawyer's assistance (it's not required) and so what if the lawyer knows the identity of the accused? It helps with the defense, plus, if he helps to convict a baddie, then he gets killed at night. And because the lawyer has an independent winning system, he/she needs to stick to saving the client(accused).

Oh, which gives me another idea... the lawyer MAY NOT be saved or protected from lynchings/night kills.

Got it. New Role

"The Lawyer"

The job of the Lawyer is to defend the most accused character during a lynching. The Lawyer learns the role of the accused and does their best to defend the accused person (accused meaning there is a supreme majority in favor of the accused. At least 3 votes in the majority).

The Lawyer is impartial, because the lawyer wins by "saving" (swaying the mob away from the accused) three people during the course of the game. Like the Mayor, the lawyer is confirmed as an innocent (kind of) so as not to be lynched himself. The lawyer may or may not be requested by the accused, however if he is, he may do whatever is necessary to defend the client (out the accused person's real role, or claim that he is a different role entirely).

How's that?

One would hope that he wins in addition to another side, or else his help might just cause people to condemn the defendant to prevent the Lawyer from winning. :P

It's certainly an interesting idea since as we saw, Ben Law's defense didn't do much for him... :( A "protector" for the lynchee could work, if implemented correctly.

It seems like it would be hard to imploy someone who learns multiple roles, especially with a whole other winning system. It doesn't seem like it would fit in that well.

What happens if the layer joins up with the Mafia? They get a free defender and the roles of the people who are accusing them.

No, the lawyer gets to know the role of the Accused person(the one he/she is defending), not the accuser.

BTW, how far out are we from the night post? There have been alot of people on.

Edited by Brandonb

No, the lawyer gets to know the role of the Accused person, not the accuser.

Oh...

That works better. :D

But I don't think their role should be reviled. People should have to try and figure out who is defending.

Edited by pw0nzd

Maybe the Lawyer idea could be tied in with the merchant idea mentioned earlier, considering that he was dealing in role information as well. Not sure how that would work... :huh:

my work on Mafia IV so far:

Mafia IV

Awesomeville is awesome, I couldn't resist returning...

Baddies (and Vigilante) strike at night, while the Innocents try to lynch them during the day by majority vote

20 peope: 8 baddies, 12 Innocents

baddies:

* 4 Mafiosos (Godfather, Thief, Assassin, Bankroller) - kill each night. Abilities useable any night but not 2 in a row. Godfather=see faction, Thief=assume identity, Bankroller=rough up. Assassin's role is just kill the Doc or Healer if they save him/her

* 3 Quarky Agents - kill each night. Must have majority to kill. If they do reach this majority, those who were part of the majority meet each other and get to PM

* 1 Grim Reaper - kill every even-numbered night. Invincible for first night and first day

win conditions for baddies:

* Mafia - kill everyone except Mafiosos

* QAs - kill the Sphinx. If they fail, they are immediately notified and a secondary mission is given: lynch a specific person the next day (the person is chosen randomly by me and is not a QA). If the QAs fail the secondary mission, their aliases are discovered and they are mass-lynched along with the actual person being lynched

* GR - kill the Vigilante

Innocents: win by killing all the baddies. Each Innocent has a special role...

saving roles = Doctor, Healer, Illusionist

* Doctor - save one person each night. Not 2x in a row. Can save self only once

* Healer - same as Doctor

* Illusionist - save one person every even-# night from the Grim Reaper only. If the GR dies before the Illusionist, the Illusionist becomes the Sphinx

* Sphinx - every odd night, turns into a sphinx and protects one person. If baddie trying to kill the person can answer a riddle correctly, the sphinx steps aside. If baddie can't, all baddies in that faction die. Baddies have the option of stepping down if the riddle is too hard, they only get 1 guess

discovery roles = Inspector, Spy, Bomb

* Inspector - gets PMed, every odd day, a baddie identity in this order: Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA, Mafia

* Spy - PMs me one player each even day, I reveal their role

* Bomb - [knows Inspector, is known by Mafia] can use lie-detect ability any night, but not two nights in a row

killing roles = Vigilante and his/her Defender. They know each other's identities

* Defender - no special powers on their own

* Vigilante - while Defender is alive, cannot die

other roles = 4 more open slots

Edited by unreality

my work on Mafia IV so far:

Mafia IV

Awesomeville is awesome, I couldn't resist returning...

Baddies (and Vigilante) strike at night, while the Innocents try to lynch them during the day by majority vote

20 peope: 8 baddies, 12 Innocents

baddies:

* 4 Mafiosos (Godfather, Thief, Assassin, Bankroller) - kill each night. Abilities useable any night but not 2 in a row. Godfather=see faction, Thief=assume identity, Bankroller=rough up. Assassin's role is just kill the Doc or Healer if they save him/her

* 3 Quarky Agents - kill each night. Must have majority to kill. If they do reach this majority, those who were part of the majority meet each other and get to PM

* 1 Grim Reaper - kill every even-numbered night. Invincible for first night and first day

win conditions for baddies:

* Mafia - kill everyone except Mafiosos

* QAs - kill the Sphinx. If they fail, they are immediately notified and a secondary mission is given: lynch a specific person the next day (the person is chosen randomly by me and is not a QA). If the QAs fail the secondary mission, their aliases are discovered and they are mass-lynched along with the actual person being lynched

* GR - kill the Vigilante

Innocents: win by killing all the baddies. Each Innocent has a special role...

saving roles = Doctor, Healer, Illusionist

* Doctor - save one person each night. Not 2x in a row. Can save self only once

* Healer - same as Doctor

* Illusionist - save one person every even-# night from the Grim Reaper only. If the GR dies before the Illusionist, the Illusionist becomes the Sphinx

* Sphinx - every odd night, turns into a sphinx and protects one person. If baddie trying to kill the person can answer a riddle correctly, the sphinx steps aside. If baddie can't, all baddies in that faction die. Baddies have the option of stepping down if the riddle is too hard, they only get 1 guess

discovery roles = Inspector, Spy, Bomb

* Inspector - gets PMed, every odd day, a baddie identity in this order: Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA, Mafia

* Spy - PMs me one player each even day, I reveal their role

* Bomb - [knows Inspector, is known by Mafia] can use lie-detect ability any night, but not two nights in a row

killing roles = Vigilante and his/her Defender. They know each other's identities

* Defender - no special powers on their own

* Vigilante - while Defender is alive, cannot die

other roles = 4 more open slots

any ideas for the 4 open slots? I have some general name ideas... Merchant... Banker... Cook... lol I dunno.

I had a "Necromancer" idea about raising the dead, but I don't think resurrection is a good idea in Mafia... there's too many loopholes

any ideas for the 4 open slots? I have some general name ideas... Merchant... Banker... Cook... lol I dunno.

I had a "Necromancer" idea about raising the dead, but I don't think resurrection is a good idea in Mafia... there's too many loopholes

Once the QAs get together, I think they will become very dangerous, so I think that a Desert Warrior character is a good idea; maybe tweak it a little, but I'm not sure how.

We have protectors, killers, info-gatherers. What else is there (excluding resurrectors, martyrs and others in that vein?) Either we need to think of an entirely new category of innocent, or find a way to take old ideas in new directions.

Maybe you could have a cook character that can (on certain nights) bake something and deliver it to someone's house. That person gorges himself/herself and can't operate that night. If it's one of the mafia, then there's a 1/n, where n is the number of living mafia, chance that they botch the night's kill. The character would have to be careful because he/she might stop the doctor or others from doing their thing, so I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. :huh:

Another idea: Preacher, or town crier. Every night he gets PMed three logical statements from the host about other characters, one of them has a truth value of true, while the others are false. The preacher selects one and while the preacher is still alive, the selected phrase is announced during the next day post. That might need some tweaking, but I think it has potential... -_-

Maybe you could have a cook character that can (on certain nights) bake something and deliver it to someone's house. That person gorges himself/herself and can't operate that night. If it's one of the mafia, then there's a 1/n, where n is the number of living mafia, chance that they botch the night's kill. The character would have to be careful because he/she might stop the doctor or others from doing their thing, so I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. :huh:

We already had an idea similar to that, remember the pirate? The problem with that role is that the cook would discover who he stopped because of who was inactive that night, therefore knowing mafia, doctor, and so on.

by Cook I meant like a Chef, someone that runs a restaurant, and only certain roles visit the restaurant. The Cook could choose to poison one person, but it'd only succeed if they were among the "richer" roles (including Mafia) that attend the restaurant. Like a mixed discovery/killer

but I decided against that :P

the Desert Warrior... yeah it wouldn't be desert anymore

I am thinking of making a different anti-QA character though

by Cook I meant like a Chef, someone that runs a restaurant, and only certain roles visit the restaurant. The Cook could choose to poison one person, but it'd only succeed if they were among the "richer" roles (including Mafia) that attend the restaurant. Like a mixed discovery/killer

but I decided against that :P

the Desert Warrior... yeah it wouldn't be desert anymore

I am thinking of making a different anti-QA character though

The Quirkinator :P