BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

(1) Before we met, I was every color shown in light,

Now that you're gone, I'm just black and white.

(2) I was the one who captured you,

But now you have changed me, too.

(3) It's hard to think that as I grow,

You could and would actually slow.

(4) For you I'll translate,

If you can keep the date.

(5) I'll forever take your traces.

To countless far-away places.

We know that you'll never come back,

So we've come together as a pack.

But you will be the one who sees,

If they can discover our identities.

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

(4) For you I'll translate,

If you can keep the date.

Here's a direction no one has tried. I'm not sure exactly what would be appropriate, but some sort of mathematical transform can "translate" time from one scale to another. If I'm on the right track, maybe someone else can figure out exactly what's intended.

Here's a direction no one has tried. I'm not sure exactly what would be appropriate, but some sort of mathematical transform can "translate" time from one scale to another. If I'm on the right track, maybe someone else can figure out exactly what's intended.

maybe Fourier transform . ;) It seems to be one of the many favorites of y-s . :lol:

maybe Fourier transform . ;) It seems to be one of the many favorites of y-s . :lol:

That's just the sort of thing I was thinking, but I don't know exactly what is getting translated with it (which is why I didn't say it :P )

1 - pre big bang a palsma state of gas at several billion degrees, has to be a colourful state right? - it's all blacka and white to the naked eye noe (what is a 'naked eye' ?

1 - pre big bang a palsma state of gas at several billion degrees, has to be a colourful state right? - it's all blacka and white to the naked eye noe (what is a 'naked eye' ?

Wow, that's intense..

.but don't get caught up with the colors...it's more an analogy...as mentioned before, has something to due with history inverted...;P

my guess for number 1:

the future? once time moves on, the future is really the past, or history.

for number 4:

greenwich mean time or time zone? that as long as you keep track of what day it is, you can figure out what time it is anywhere?

this one is a stretch.

This is really hard but I still don't get the big picture. What I mean is that even when we (hopefully one day) learn all of the 'correct' answers, how do they come to be described as 'spurned lovers'? It's looking more to me like the specs for a digital camera.

This is really hard but I still don't get the big picture. What I mean is that even when we (hopefully one day) learn all of the 'correct' answers, how do they come to be described as 'spurned lovers'? It's looking more to me like the specs for a digital camera.

Haha...no, the "spurned lovers" was a theme...I wrote the lines to sound like something "spurned lovers" would say to the one who spurned them...I actually thought up the clues separately and then realized that it would be a good theme, that would allow me to put in certain hidden clues (like "you'll never come back" a revealing clue that hides nicely in a dialogue between a spurned lover and a spurner ;) )

The "big picture" I refer to is the entire puzzle, which is what you have to look at to figure out the identity of the spurner, which is probably the best first step in solving the riddle...also I might have used "big picture" to refer to looking at the meanings of lines instead of focusing on individual keywords, which may obfuscate the matter...

my guess for number 1:

the future? once time moves on, the future is really the past, or history.

for number 4:

greenwich mean time or time zone? that as long as you keep track of what day it is, you can figure out what time it is anywhere?

this one is a stretch.

The inverse of the future is *not* history...it is the past. "History" has a relationship to "the past"...

OK I think we are ready for the answer now. :D

Okay fine, I'll give you this, and it should be obvious...

[spoiler='Explanation for 4

']Time has no inherent units...humans use this to translate time into units they can understand and keep track of...but it can't keep track of the date, so it requires someone/something else to do it ("You keep the date").

And not quite ready to reveal 1 yet, but I'll tell you this:

Like mentioned previously, it's an analogy, so don't try to think of things that relate color and black and white, but instead, think about the relationship between "colors shown in light" and black and white...

Hmmm....still no takers, huh...

Well, here's part of the explanation for 1

Objects can reflect/absorb some of the light that reaches it. The color that is shown (that we see) is the color reflected. Things that appear white reflect all the light, and things that appear black reflect no light.