BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

grey cells

Question

Yeah! You guessed right . This one is an interview question , which was asked to me just yesterday(No kidding!A real interview.My first one and Yippee .....I got selected).Thanks for the welcome-back-to-the-den ritual Bona and Eagle(hey!where's the musical troupe :P )

I hope this one hasn't been done before , at the den. :rolleyes:

Interviewer:(in a growling voice :mad: )What is the height of each of the walls in this room(interview hall)?You have no measuring instruments or anything else with which you can compare the height.So now what is the height?(eyes riveted on me , glaring)

Candidate(myself :blink: ):??????????

• Answers 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

taller han us, or my height plus a little more

or not so much higher when I'm standing up - which makes them comparitive I guess

"High enough" would be cheeky!

I am not saying all of your answers are wrong , but the answer I have in mind is as easy as a stroll in the park.

It's the simplest answer and more cheeky , LIS.

King , I am not saying that your 5'6" answer is wrong but at the same time I am not saying it is right. ;) (HINT)

And Aka , the answer is purely quantitative . So unknown variables are not used.

Roop , again the same condition. No unknown variables.

Again the answer is too simple and cheeky. :lol:

Don't mean to be a cynic, but this a situation where the interviewer liked your answer, or did s/he have one specific answer in mind when asking the question? I mean, did you find the one true answer to a premeditated brain teaser, or just one that works, because it's beginning to sound like the latter. Even a quantitative answer could have tickled the interviewer's fancy. Otherwise you've got me stumped :)

Edited by Mohar

the same as the others.... since he asked what the height of each wall was.

Hi , Nikyma . Long time , no see. Please do forgive my English. ;) Good answer , Nikyma , but not the quantitative one.

I can smell something fishy . :sniff::sniff: Now I can see the source of the smell . Aha , 2 kudos points are missing . I knew it , and it's Aka . Naughty Boy , Aka. :P

Mohar , I am not saying all the answers are wrong . I gave credit to some answers , but I am waiting for an answer which is the simplest one . It does not require previous knowledge and it is a quantitative answer(interviewer asked that , not me) and it shows your positive attitude. :)

Hey, I stumbled onto this forum a few days ago and this puzzle has just been stuck in my head that I just had to register and find it out.

So quantitative, but cheeky? I think this is cheeky but maybe not quantitative...

"actual size" or "1:1 size"

Answer please... for 7 pages you have been talking about this cool answer that is the only right one to the question. I speak for all of Brainden when I say we give up. We have failed the interview!!

Cheers!

--

Vig

sorry king ofpain you are not speaking for me, We have plenty of time, leave the rat race and gotahaveitnow.com and relax

Jahudo , welcome to the den . :D

And Jahudo , I hope you are not disappointed with the answer. :)

KOP , you spoke too soon . ;)

KOP , congrats , you are recruited. :P

Seriously , you have given an answer which is both cheeky and cool. And quantitative too. ;)

900 metres . When he asked "How I could prove it" , I replied "There's nothing to prove I am wrong" as he initially mentioned , that there were no measuring devices . :)

But as mentioned before , KOP , your answer's much more apt. So 8 kudos to KOP(2 taken away by Aka :P ).

And KOP I did not say all the other answers are wrong . As you can see this is the simplest quantitative answer. I just wanted someone to arrive at this answer .

As the famous quote goes:

A puzzle's half dead , if the answer is given away by the OP writer.

- Phil O'Sophy

And on behalf of the Den , let's hope there's a good match between India and Pak. :lol:

EDIT: LIS , just saw your post , thanks for the Never-say-die attitude. Kudos to Lis and Jarod for the factual answers. :)

Edited by grey cells

900 metres . When he asked "How I could prove it" , I replied "There's nothing to prove I am wrong" as he initially mentioned , that there were no measuring devices . :)

Grey Cells, you'd be a good cult leader.

I just read my post begging for the answer and oh! my! it was pretty abrasive! I just typed some stuff intending for it to be lighthearted and then removed some stuff resulting in an acidic post. For this I apologize :)

If I had been the interviewer, I would have smacked you across the face and said "I told you YOU had no measuring devices, but I do! NEXT!"... just kidding :) Anyway, glad you made it through the interview! Congrats!

And to 'Lost in Space'... Maybe you did not get the memo, but I am the official spokesperson for Brainden. I decide when it is time for the OP to give us the answer - your patience notwithstanding... MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! See my apology above :)

And the Ind Pak match is currently a watershed :) And if they were only gonna play 4 matches in the entire tournament, it should have been a test series involving SL instead of BD... Tests >> T20> ODIs IMHO...

FWIW, the bowling was atrocious and none of the shots played today were Test quality. Still, it was fun to watch Sehwag bat like a loon! I would give an arm and a leg to watch M.Waugh, Laxman, Ambrose and Donald play Tests after all this IPL B.S. But at the end of the day, it's somewhat related to cricket and I'll watch it!

Before I ramble Offtopic some more, I'll end my post :)

Cheers!

--

Vig

so basically, it's a philosophical thing?

"you can't prove my number is wrong, therefore, my answer could be right?"

Well , sort of . Eventhough it has a philosophical twist , it is not in any way theoritical , the reply was practical.Practical in the sense , the interviewer was asking for it . I mean , he just wanted me to give an answer , that he could approve. ;)

IAnd the Ind Pak match is currently a watershed :) And if they were only gonna play 4 matches in the entire tournament, it should have been a test series involving SL instead of BD... Tests >> T20> ODIs IMHO...

FWIW, the bowling was atrocious and none of the shots played today were Test quality. Still, it was fun to watch Sehwag bat like a loon! I would give an arm and a leg to watch M.Waugh, Laxman, Ambrose and Donald play Tests after all this IPL B.S. But at the end of the day, it's somewhat related to cricket and I'll watch it!

Yeah , swashbuckling stuff from Viru , Gauti and Yuvi.And some good swing bowling from Praveen.

And I Boycotted IPL . A disgrace to cricket , trying to overshadow ICL with glamour and money , rather than good cricket .

AHHHHHH!!!! COOL ANSWER!!! They can't measure it so you could have said anything (above obvious heights) and it COULD be right because there is no way to measure it to check!! LOL KOP!!! Just because you can't measure it, I can!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAH!!! So you got the job?! Well done!!