BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Such as "your gay!" or "your mum jokes" or even racial things like in the South Park movie, with Jew being an insult, I am not focusing on any topic and feel free to post your ideas of how words like "gay" have become insults in our modern society.

12 answers to this question

Such as "your gay!" or "your mum jokes" or even racial things like in the South Park movie, with Jew being an insult, I am not focusing on any topic and feel free to post your ideas of how words like "gay" have become insults in our modern society.

Its only an insult if you let it get to you. I think one of the problems with today is people take things to personal. GET OVER IT. Alot of the problem started with the PC movement. People are just looking for a reason to cry, and stir up an issue, maybe its to make a name for themselves or to have a law suit. I think people just need thicker skin, they are too sensative. I blame the "Hippies" ooooh, is that an insulting term? Who cares, I dont. Just my opinion. Just so you all know, I dont use racial slurs, they dont go well with my religious views.

This is not a riddle or a puzzle. It hardly has any thought value at all. Someone please move this.

The answer: anything that anyone could possibly take offense to can be an insult. So calling someone something that they are not is an insult, hence any word you come up with that is or could be considered derogatory can be an insult. Basically it's like what alpha said, it's only an insult if you take it as such.

This thread is insert insult here.

Sticks and stones they say. Do not cry about name-calling when your own are using it. Like glass houses. Think brotherly and sisterly and maybe with some peace and maturity it can dissappear in time.

Actually the saying ends with "names will never hut me"... In other words don't care about insults! There is only one thing that offends me and that is Hate. Swear words and insults without hate are just words and usually funny to me. I love South Park and they say just about everything imaginable. I think people should get a backbone, stop crying and what will "disappear" is the feeling of being insulted and having to hold your tongue in public. I would love to be able to say whatever I wanted, but I have been forced to have two different languages so to speak: one for my friends and one for public. People put way too much concern into what others are saying. If it's not hateful speech, which btw doesn't even have to have swear words, then just take it lightly. What are we, 5?

What I dispise the most is the double standard placed on some and not others. Example, other races are free to knock on white people and use all sorts of names and stereotypes in the name of comedy and stand-up. White comedians are not given that freedom, atleast not without consequence.

What I dispise the most is the double standard placed on some and not others. Example, other races are free to knock on white people and use all sorts of names and stereotypes in the name of comedy and stand-up. White comedians are not given that freedom, atleast not without consequence.
If there is bias or anything like prejudice I would turn the channel. If the media stinks then I go on-line or to UTUBE. I refuse to rant or cry to get my way. Its wrong some times the way things like law suits and such are handled. It's the bigger man who lets fools embarrass themselves.

amen..I dont understand this double standard at all. I'm not prejudiced at all, being a minority myself, so please dont call me biased, but I dont understand this crap at all.

black pride or black power is all good, but when you hear anything like white pride or white power, you automatically think KKK and skinheads. black people are the only ones allowed to say the n-word, but if anyone else says it, they'll get fired, banned from businesses, destroyed in the media, etc.

how can one race have a word that no one else can say, yet, they want to be treated equally?

blacks can make fun of how white people dance, or they can call us wannabe n__ers (wiggers) or they even call a black presidential candidate "too white" or an Oreo (black on the outside, white on the inside)...what the hell? arent we all just people and a product of where we grew up?

I can rant on and on, but I have to go to bed now.

I'll pick it up another day...it just really irks me.

however, I do have one other thing to say, and that is that calling a sports team or a geographical location by an offensive racial term/slur, such as the redskins or squaw, is just plain wrong and should be changed. what an uproar it would be if there was a team called the washington blackies or washington yellowskins, or a location called Black ***** valley or White B**ch mountain...how many demonstrations there would be.

physical characteristic discrimination - people judge sometimes just to get by -from first impressions, to witnesses of a situation, to crowd navigation.

In the USA - we easily have up to 70% of the population of mixed race, or indeterminate ethnic descent. Meaning you can guess about the components of somebody's ancestry by looking at them or how their name is spelled, Or in the case of the thousands of mangled Americanized last names (misspelled). But the odds are you get to know them and find stereotypes may be used as a defense mechanism that doesn't represent the individual person at all.

I think I agree with Brandonb - This isn't a riddle or a puzzle.

Unless you want to talk about the 9th Amendment Unenumerated rights (i.e., rights not listed) retained by the people September 25, 1789 December 15, 1791[1]

Then you have something interesting.The 9th links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unspoken_rule

Or discuss some paradoxical rights. Like right to publicity, and right to privacy versus the 1st amendment Freedom ... of the press.

I believe the post information age society needs an amendment that updates our rights in relation to digital cameras and the internet - the paradox being, if we own the rights to photos of our own faces, (we own the rights to images of ourselves) how do we enforce this right to publicity and maintain photo identity and security of the right to publicity itself ?

Alternatively, maybe some dumb jokes about political correctness might be a better topic ?

The basketball player had a Napoleon complex,

She wasn't the shortest player on her team but she was the palest,

She could jump and slam dunk because she was trained in ballet,

Because her name was Lee people thought she was Asian,

Until they met her at a bar and referred to her as your honor until she struck the gavel.

I'm just saying so you'll be prepared, you never know who you are playing with here,

It's sort of like a masters swim team with these older folks at the community center

here in Hollywood -- Florida.

I work in the healthcare field. I deal with MANY different types of people, yet, I cant stop saying "thats retarded" everytime I say it I wanna kick myself. I have, in fact said this in front of patients with mental disabilities, and in front of a co-worker with a mentally retarded child. I always finish up by saying "I need to stop saying that". I fear that one day it will cause me problems. People are thin skinned, and even though I don't mean anything by the word "retarded", someone eventually will.

I work in the healthcare field. I deal with MANY different types of people, yet, I cant stop saying "thats retarded" everytime I say it I wanna kick myself. I have, in fact said this in front of patients with mental disabilities, and in front of a co-worker with a mentally retarded child. I always finish up by saying "I need to stop saying that". I fear that one day it will cause me problems. People are thin skinned, and even though I don't mean anything by the word "retarded", someone eventually will.

Can we still call something stupid, or will the stupid people start crying?

You know, I get called all sorts of discriminating names at work, its part of the job. What do I do about it? Nothing, I know that I'm better than they are. I put up with it and Im ok, So why cant the rest of the world. Besides they are much better dirty words to call people other ones that directly refer to color, race, religion, physical features. I make good use of those.

i know the feeling

at a community event i said "Bill Gates must be retarded or something" (dont ask!) and the community officer was getting moody and she said "who said that!? the r-word!?" and i almost said "its a profesional medical term, still politically correct in most developed and undeveloped countries" but it was a community town-hall-cinema thing and i didnt say it because i didnt want to miss Jumanji...

...jumanji owns...

...(imitates drums)...

...bye...