BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

So.. Just wondering if this will work. Don't really care if someone steals the idea but lets see how we can move forward with it.

1. Take a wheel off a car

2. Line the inside of the wheel with magnets

3. Set up an adjustable arm with opposite polarity magnets around the brakes

4. Set up some type of adjustable mechanism that can shift the brake magnets from flat to 45 degrees

5. Put wheel back on

6. Push the arm forward and the reverse polarity will cause the wheel to spin

7. Do this on all 4 wheels

8. Celebrate because you don't have to spend any more money on gas, oil, fluids or 100,000 mile check ups

9. Disappear because all of the Oil Companies are PISSED!!!

Anyways.. I think you get the idea. I'm sure you would have to "energize" the magnets over time so hook up a small battery to fuel the source and keep the magnets energized I guess? The tire rotation can charge the battery with an internal generator of some sort.

Ya know?

9 answers to this question

The problem with the tire idea is that the super-strong magnetic field created would have to be open, and with that would come the possibility of metal flying into the wheels and shredding them to pieces. <_<

Edited by Brandonb

Between the electrical and solar and corn-gas options something should put an end to the problem soon.

Corn-gas i.e. Ethanol is not a viable option either. "if every bushel of U.S. corn, wheat, rice and soybean were used to produce ethanol, it would only cover about 4% of U.S. energy needs on a net basis." - Charles Washburn (has researched the subject over the past 45 years.)‏

It takes 450lbs of corn... enough to feed one person for an entire year... to fill up the tank of a typical SUV, 1 single time. Oh, and it also takes something (I'm not gonna bother looking up the actual number right now) like 1 gallon of fossil fuels to produce 1.28 gallons of ethanol.

Solar seems possible. But it's expensive, slow charging, fragile, heavy, and only functions well on bright sunny days. I suppose it could be used an initial fuel source when driving, then once you go over the max distance on a full charge it could kick over to another fuel source and let the charge of the solar powered batteries catch back up.

Electrical falls closely in line with the solar in that you would need a back up fuel source when the charge ran out.

Frankly, there is nothing that "should put an end to the problem soon." This is a long-run problem that will only be fixed with a long-run solution. It will take time to implement the solution and allow it to become a universal standard in fueling transportation.

"Freeing the economy from dependence on foreign oil (at an uncontrollable cost) is an option, but it requires a “long run” solution because environmentalists frown on domestic oil drilling and the alternative of nuclear power. So there will be no decrease in the price of oil any time soon..."

The only way to "put an end to the problem soon." is to drill domestically. Outside of that and building nuclear power plants, everything else is going to take time, and probably lots of it.

So.. Just wondering if this will work. Don't really care if someone steals the idea but lets see how we can move forward with it.

1. Take a wheel off a car

2. Line the inside of the wheel with magnets

3. Set up an adjustable arm with opposite polarity magnets around the brakes

4. Set up some type of adjustable mechanism that can shift the brake magnets from flat to 45 degrees

5. Put wheel back on

6. Push the arm forward and the reverse polarity will cause the wheel to spin

7. Do this on all 4 wheels

8. Celebrate because you don't have to spend any more money on gas, oil, fluids or 100,000 mile check ups

9. Disappear because all of the Oil Companies are PISSED!!!

Anyways.. I think you get the idea. I'm sure you would have to "energize" the magnets over time so hook up a small battery to fuel the source and keep the magnets energized I guess? The tire rotation can charge the battery with an internal generator of some sort.

Ya know?

Edited by be4

How would you control speed alteration and quick starting and stopping?

The answers to our energy needs have been around since before humans existed, we just refuse to use them for various political reasons. It's true that Oil and Ethanol are not the answers (all ethanol does is fail and then raise our food prices). The answers are Solar, Tidal, and Wind. And in the interim, the answer is Electric. The electric car as its technology is right now would satisfy the needs of about 90% of drivers. It was tried, successful and then ripped out of owners hands when the government, the car companies and the oil industry saw how popular it would become. Luckily that brief period spurned the Japanese auto makers to begin making hybrids in order to keep up with the movement. If that didn't happen, we would have regressed entirely back to the standard gas guzzler. The electric technology was also not given much of a chance to develop. They were still working on better batteries when the project was canceled and rescinded. That whole controversy was a real shame. For a pretty decent documentary on this fiasco check out Who Killed the Electric Car?

Corn-gas i.e. Ethanol is not a viable option either. "if every bushel of U.S. corn, wheat, rice and soybean were used to produce ethanol, it would only cover about 4% of U.S. energy needs on a net basis." - Charles Washburn (has researched the subject over the past 45 years.)‏

It takes 450lbs of corn... enough to feed one person for an entire year... to fill up the tank of a typical SUV, 1 single time. Oh, and it also takes something (I'm not gonna bother looking up the actual number right now) like 1 gallon of fossil fuels to produce 1.28 gallons of ethanol.

Solar seems possible. But it's expensive, slow charging, fragile, heavy, and only functions well on bright sunny days. I suppose it could be used an initial fuel source when driving, then once you go over the max distance on a full charge it could kick over to another fuel source and let the charge of the solar powered batteries catch back up.

Electrical falls closely in line with the solar in that you would need a back up fuel source when the charge ran out.

Frankly, there is nothing that "should put an end to the problem soon." This is a long-run problem that will only be fixed with a long-run solution. It will take time to implement the solution and allow it to become a universal standard in fueling transportation.

"Freeing the economy from dependence on foreign oil (at an uncontrollable cost) is an option, but it requires a "long run" solution because environmentalists frown on domestic oil drilling and the alternative of nuclear power. So there will be no decrease in the price of oil any time soon..."

The only way to "put an end to the problem soon." is to drill domestically. Outside of that and building nuclear power plants, everything else is going to take time, and probably lots of it.

Interesting, because as our technology increases there just may be an easier solution. Maybe not very soon, but when there's a will there's a way. Oil needs to be replaced somehow. No one has the perfect answer yet. The OP is a dream.

What if, as the wheels spun, they turned generators to produce electricity that would in turn help power the wheels and rest of the car... you would still need a bit of gas or battery or solar or whatever to start up the engine and the wheel turning motion, and you would have to keep a charged battery because the wheels couldn't go indefinitely, but still... whatever saves a little bit... or is my idea completely off of the rules of motors and generators and motion and electricity and stuff? Cuz I'm sure the car people have thought of every little possible idea :P