TheCube

?I??

JOKE - 0  FLIP - 0  CURS - 0

WITS - 1  TARP - 0

CAKE - 0  LIAR - 1

BUST - 0  BUTS - 0

WORD - 0  WILL - 1

Score Changes: kristmark1 - 5

Well, I thought it was reasonable logic.

As I read, the rule states that the logic has to be complete. If it is implied that a letter can be logic(k)ed by an incomplete solution, then just by providing a word where such a logic(k) can be determined would then be considered the word as logic(k)ed. Some of the points previously awarded (some given to Wombatbreath, for example) would then have been misappropriately given and the scores would need be adjusted.

As the rule says the first person to give a complete logic(k) to why a letter is in the position as it is, then the 5 points would have been awarded to me, not kristmark1. I do not doubt kristmark1 had logic(k)ed the position, but then who can claim he was actually first.

Players are not all on at the same time, thus not all players have equal opportunity to provide possible solutions or logic(k)s. In the current format of this game, it is flawed in the awarding of points.

KIWI

JOKE - 0  FLIP - 0  CURS - 0  DIVA - 1

WITS - 1  TARP - 0  TINY - 1  GIGA - 1 

CAKE - 0  LIAR - 1  SIGN - 1 

BUST - 0  BUTS - 0  PICK - 1 

WORD - 0  WILL - 1  MIFF - 1

Score Changes: kristmark1 - 5, Hidden G - 20, TheCube - 17

SCORES COMING SOON.

KIWI

JOKE - 0  FLIP - 0  CURS - 0  DIVA - 1

WITS - 1  TARP - 0  TINY - 1  GIGA - 1 

CAKE - 0  LIAR - 1  SIGN - 1 

BUST - 0  BUTS - 0  PICK - 1 

WORD - 0  WILL - 1  MIFF - 1

Score Changes: kristmark1 - 5, Hidden G - 20, TheCube - 17

SCORES COMING SOON.

May I ask which of the permissible dictionaries was the word GIGA in?

I didn't find it in any of the online English dictionaries, except as a prefix. As an extinct type of bowed lyre in Norway it might be considered a word, but I do not see how that would make it permissible here. As it was posted in the list as GIGA - 1, it would mean that TheCube verified it as a word since the host is to not even to consider non-words. If it is indeed a non-word, the host gave himself 1 point too many.

Edited by Dej Mar

May I ask which of the permissible dictionaries was the word GIGA in?

I didn't find it in any of the online English dictionaries, except as a prefix. As an extinct type of bowed lyre in Norway it might be considered a word, but I do not see how that would make it permissible here. As it was posted in the list as GIGA - 1, it would mean that TheCube verified it as a word since the host is to not even to consider non-words. If it is indeed a non-word, the host gave himself 1 point too many.

giga means One billion (10^9)/(computing) a factor of 2^30, 1073741824

i think you may heard of gigabyte (GB) :D

giga means One billion (10^9)/(computing) a factor of 2^30, 1073741824

i think you may heard of gigabyte (GB) :D

Giga is a PREFIX meaning one-billion. In that context it is not a word.

Giga is a PREFIX meaning one-billion. In that context it is not a word.

I don't have an OED with me, but I agree.

I see a few non-prefix entries using "define:giga" in google (which I typically use for ROLO while at work). But eh. Anyone got the OED handy? Or that other dictionary that was agreed upon?

Giga can be found in SOWPODS - the combination of the Collins English Dictionary, the Collins Corpus, the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, and four other collegiate dictionaries which is used in International Scrabble tournaments. Giga is an Italian word for jig, a type of dance, it is also a Norwegian word for an extinct version of a bowed lyre and a Latvian word a two-stringed zither. Giga was not found in the British or American official Scrabble Dictionaries, nor in the official online dictionaries given for ROLLO, except as a combining form, i.e., a prefix.

From my understanding of the rules of ROLLO, one can offer any word as a guess as long as it is a word - even a proper noun. In this case, GIGA would be a valid offering for a submitted guess, but would be invalid as a posed word to be guessed.

I pose a question of rules regarding this. If the "host" has posed a word that is not in one of the official ROLLO dictionaries, how are the points to be awarded? I would suggest that the points offered to the guessers would as normal, but the "host" would score zero, and, perhaps, a +5 point bonus would be awarded to one who discovered the host's error.

Giga can be found in SOWPODS - the combination of the Collins English Dictionary, the Collins Corpus, the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, and four other collegiate dictionaries which is used in International Scrabble tournaments. Giga is an Italian word for jig, a type of dance, it is also a Norwegian word for an extinct version of a bowed lyre and a Latvian word a two-stringed zither. Giga was not found in the British or American official Scrabble Dictionaries, nor in the official online dictionaries given for ROLLO, except as a combining form, i.e., a prefix.

From my understanding of the rules of ROLLO, one can offer any word as a guess as long as it is a word - even a proper noun. In this case, GIGA would be a valid offering for a submitted guess, but would be invalid as a posed word to be guessed.

I pose a question of rules regarding this. If the "host" has posed a word that is not in one of the official ROLLO dictionaries, how are the points to be awarded? I would suggest that the points offered to the guessers would as normal, but the "host" would score zero, and, perhaps, a +5 point bonus would be awarded to one who discovered the host's error.

I was under the impression that one must also offer only words from the chosen dictionaries to be used as guesses. I might support that.

Regardless, though, there is a that should contain this discussion.