BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

It's been a while from our last visit to Mortys. Last night

the discussion waxed philosophical. And Alex, the resident

guru of all things logical, and who usually loves to hear

himself pontificate, was a different person.

This time Alex minced no words. He never used many on

incompetents. It's OK to insult an incompetent, he often

would say, sometimes it's the only way to get rid of them.

But when they pose as scholars, they've gone way too far!

Jamie and Davey had spotted him on the way in, and Ian

was now joining the group at Alex's favorite table, in the

far back corner. Wondering what was on his mind this time,

they waited patiently, as one would sit quietly at the feet

of his master, to learn the lesson of the evening.

Well, I'd heard the question posed many a time, he began,

but I never thought anyone took it seriously. If a tree falls

in the woods and no one is there to hear, does it make

a sound? But last night I heard these two intellectuals,

they called 'em, actually debating the thing!

Not sure if that was a signal to speak, they continued

to listen. But that was it. Nothing else. So after only a

brief pause, Davey ventured, So?

Alex raised an eyebrow. So? you say? Well mateys,

there is only one answer. And it's so logical and clear

I would have thought even you all would have it. And

once you understand, it really can't be debated, now,

can it?

But this time they didn't understand. No one ventured an

answer; although Davey, as always, did stroke his beard.

What was Alex's answer to this age-old question, and

what was his insight, based only on logic, that gives

it undebatable certainty?

Yes. According to science, the vibrations in the air are indeed there. i.e. If there is recording equipment there sound is, officially there.

If I'm wrong, its because I had a drink too many. You know, I did kind of wake up with a headache this morning...

Edited by Aaryan

Yes. According to science, the vibrations in the air are indeed there. i.e. If there is recording equipment there sound is, officially there.

If I'm wrong, its because I had a drink too many. You know, I did kind of wake up with a headache this morning...

But the recording equipment in this case becomes the observer. This is not a quibble about human vs. non-human observation, it goes to the question of whether

the universe needs an observer to exist.

The question in the OP is different from that, but the answer here is to be based on logic rather than physics.

Sound-the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.

Therefore, if there is no one around to hear it, then it is by definition not a sound.

Sound-the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.

Therefore, if there is no one around to hear it, then it is by definition not a sound.

Dictionary doesn't support the notion that sound is the perception of something.

While it mentions that one can perceive it, it is the it, not the perception, that is the sound.

onelook.com for example gives this:

Quick definitions from Macmillan

sound

noun

â–¸ something that you can hear more...

â–¸ energy that travels through air or water and that a human ear can hear more...

â–¸ the music, talking, and other noises that come from a radio, television, movie, etc. more...

â–¸ the loudness of a radio, television, etc. more...

â–¸ the particular musical style of a person, band, or place more...

â–¸ a long narrow area of water that connects two larger areas of water more...

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear, does it make a sound?

"If a tree falls in the woods".. that is a important part of the statement - how do we know a tree has fallen? There should be an observer (perhaps a mute one, as there is no one to hear).

The observer can hence infer that a sound is accompanying..

Put in other way, "If I'm out in bright sun, and I can't (obviously) see ultra violet rays, am I still absorbing UV rays?"

"If a tree falls in the woods".. that is a important part of the statement - how do we know a tree has fallen? There should be an observer (perhaps a mute one, as there is no one to hear).

The observer can hence infer that a sound is accompanying..

Put in other way, "If I'm out in bright sun, and I can't (obviously) see ultra violet rays, am I still absorbing UV rays?"

Good observation. Is the question logically consistent? Can we derive a logically consistent yes or no answer?

Good observation. Is the question logically consistent? Can we derive a logically consistent yes or no answer?

Based on:

a. We know that a tree has fallen - the statement asks us to assume that

b. We know (a priori, from past experience) that trees only grow in places that have air

c. We know (a priori, from past experience) that trees do make considerable noise when the fall, and this travels through air, if only for limited distance. I have been led to believe that the falling trees can even say a few words in English (like "timber")

So, yes - we can conclude a sound was produced.

Take the statement "If a tree falls in the woods then it makes a sound", which we know to be true (if anyone wants to debate that basic fact, then bring it on)

Call that an "if A (a tree falls in the woods) then B (it makes a sound)" statement.

Then we're given "a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear"

We know that statement A (a tree falls in the woods) implies B (it makes a sound) regardless of the state of C (no one is there to hear).

So, if A (a tree falls in the woods) and C (no one is there to hear), then B (it makes a sound) is true.

It depends on what "sound" is. If sound is vibration in the air, then yes, it makes a sound. If sound is the way a mind perceives such vibrations, then the tree causes no such perception because no one is there to hear, and therefore makes no sound.

Suppose there's no one around to hear.

Well, YOU might know that.

And I might know that.

But the TREE doesn't know that.

So it still bothers to make a sound out of ignorance.

well:

If there are no "observers" around to hear it, then there is really no way to know 100% if a tree that falls in a forest will make a sound under these conditions.

:D

YES

...not putting in a spoiler, as this can be built over...

Tree's making a sound, and your reception of the same are two different events.

Here, second event may be dependent on first (if there is no other source), but first is independent of second.

In fact there is also a 0th event which is falling of the tree. So, so long as all constituents to produce the sound are there, tree makes a sound. Where there is some receptor for the same or not is irrelevant.

Take the statement "If a tree falls in the woods then it makes a sound", which we know to be true (if anyone wants to debate that basic fact, then bring it on)

Call that an "if A (a tree falls in the woods) then B (it makes a sound)" statement.

Then we're given "a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear"

We know that statement A (a tree falls in the woods) implies B (it makes a sound) regardless of the state of C (no one is there to hear).

So, if A (a tree falls in the woods) and C (no one is there to hear), then B (it makes a sound) is true.

It depends on what "sound" is. If sound is vibration in the air, then yes, it makes a sound. If sound is the way a mind perceives such vibrations, then the tree causes no such perception because no one is there to hear, and therefore makes no sound.

Suppose there's no one around to hear.

Well, YOU might know that.

And I might know that.

But the TREE doesn't know that.

So it still bothers to make a sound out of ignorance.

Hmmm .. bring it on? [first spoiler]

But that's the puzzle. Affirmation of the result is not proof: it's circular reasoning.

How's that. B))

Based on:

a. We know that a tree has fallen - the statement asks us to assume that

b. We know (a priori, from past experience) that trees only grow in places that have air

c. We know (a priori, from past experience) that trees do make considerable noise when the fall, and this travels through air, if only for limited distance. I have been led to believe that the falling trees can even say a few words in English (like "timber")

So, yes - we can conclude a sound was produced.

"We know from past experience" translates to "in the past we have attended events of falling trees, and in each case we heard a sound."

The question in the OP could equally ask - in those cases, would a sound have been made if you had not been there?

Or taking from your definition: energy that travels through air or water and that a human ear can hear

Note the use of 'can' instead of 'must'.

I rest my case. :)

"Can." Agreed. But what about "Did"?

Without someone to hear, "did" did not happen.

So [1] "no sound," that "can't" be heard, and [2] "sound," which "can be, but wasn't," heard still have not been distinguished.

"A tree in the woods..." - the tree is not alone, there are other trees around it. As most people should know, trees are living beings. Also, trees have senses with which they can detect sound - they can hear (sort of). So one of the statements - "A tree in the woods" or "no one is there" - must be false.

The biggest part of the problem is trying to combine philosophy and logic, as they are mutually exclusive. =P

I must agree with plasmid, though. Whether or not you are there to observe, events A (a tree falls) and B (it makes a sound) cannot be separated, whether event C (while an observer is present) is true or false..

The biggest part of the problem is trying to combine philosophy and logic, as they are mutually exclusive. =P

On the atomic scale, measuring a system changes it, and you observe the changed state.

At some level, the state of the real world does depend on whether it was observed.

Translate: there is no such thing as passive observation; unavoidably, the observer interacts.

Some thinkers extend that thought to postulate the need of an observer for things to exist.

I must agree with plasmid, though. Whether or not you are there to observe, events A (a tree falls) and B (it makes a sound) cannot be separated, whether event C (while an observer is present) is true or false..

Asserting something is true is not proving something is true.

"A tree in the woods..." - the tree is not alone, there are other trees around it. As most people should know, trees are living beings. Also, trees have senses with which they can detect sound - they can hear (sort of). So one of the statements - "A tree in the woods" or "no one is there" - must be false.

So no forest is devoid of people.

You're on the right track. Can you take it a little farther?

Some thinkers extend that thought to postulate the need of an observer for things to exist.

Hmm... so when I exit the room, and there is no one else in the room, then everything in the room ceases to exist -disappears? But when I come back everything is back in its place exactly as I left it? Wouldn't the content of the room be subjective to the observer in this case? Kind of like a dream? Different people would see different things when they enter the room?