BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

Beast. If I'm allowed can I say that if Beast = 1 then B is the first letter because between Beast and Brain only 1 letter stayed the same and they both got a 1.

Edited by k10nd1k3

_ _ _ _ _

MINOR (0)

ALPHA (0)

BRAIN (1)

COVEN (0)

BEAST (1)

BEING (1)

How do I explain this? The logic is flawed. Even if B was the first letter, I wouldn't have awarded the points to you for that logic. BRAIN vs. BEAST. What is R was second and A was third? Run that through your mind.

P must be the first letter, E must be the second, I must be second-to-last and S must be last.

B in BRAIN cannot be the first letter because BEAST and LEAST both have 1, so the B is wrong because it is the only difference between them.

N in BRAIN is wrong because COVEN has 0.

That leaves us with RAI in BRAIN.

Removing the B from BRASS gives us RASS as the possible letters for the 1 there.

With the B removed from BEAST, that leaves EAST.

_RAI_ - 1

_RASS - 1

_EAST - 1

DELIS - 3

PELTS - 3

If the T in _EAST is right, then the EAS are wrong. That removes the A and both Ss in _RASS, leaving only the R. If the R is right, then the I in RAI is also wrong. If the I is wrong, then that leaves us with DEL in DELIS, since the I and the S are wrong. But the E clashes with the R, so T cannot be the correct letter in _EAST.

If the S is the correct letter in _EAST, then the RA_S are wrong in _RASS. That means that I must be right in _RAI_, but that collides with the S in _EAST, so the S cannot be right either.

If the A is right in _EAST, then that means the R_SS in _RASS and the I in _RAI_ are all wrong. Therefore, the IS in DELIS is wrong, leaving DEL, but this again collides with the A, so the A cannot be correct.

Therefore, the E in _EAST must be correct. _E___

Since the E is correct, the AST are all wrong in _EAST. This removes the AS from _RASS, leaving _R__S, but the R's spot is taken by the E, leaving the S for the fifth spot. _E__S

With the RA removed from _RAI_, only the I remains, so that must be correct. _E_IS

That gives us our quota of 3 (E_IS) in DELIS, so the D and the L are wrong. That means that the L and T in PELTS are wrong, so that only leaves P in the first place to match the third correct letter.

PE_IS

Now that's a proof. B))

Edited by dawh