BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I have decided to make this a tad bit more complicated than the previous mafia with the introduction of 2 slightly different roles.It is also a small experiment for me.

Newer players are welcomed, as well as experienced ones. I can see this mafia ending around N4, if not before.

Feedback would be great. Since we'll start this after Ye Olde Mafia II, there's a lot of time and room for improvement.

Doomed

You find yourself waking up in a cryo-chamber. The system recognized the electromagnetic signals of your brain and slowly increased the temperature of the chamber and started pumping in a gaseous mixture that resembled that of the atmosphere. Blinking every so often, your eyes began to adjust to light again after years of being in slumber. You slowly regained your other senses as the computer initiated a series of programs to determine the functionality of you as a whole.

After passing the series of small tests, you heard the locks disengaging. The door slid open and you stepped into a small room with nothing other than a change of clothes and an exit. You put them on and left the room into a long passageway. As you walked down the passageway, you saw similar rooms with other cryo-preserved humans. You shuddered to think that you spent the last … How many years have it been?

The answer soon presented itself as you exit the long passageway. You entered a small chamber with a chair and a monitor screen. Printed on the screen are the words “Year 99PA.”

‘99PA?’

The fear of living in an uncertain future finally caught up, you started wondering what is in store for you. You sat down on the chair and the walls flickered.

“Welcome to the year 99PA. In your calendar, it would be year 3192AD.”

‘I have been sleeping for more than a thousand years?’ you wondered.

“It is now 99 years post-apocalypse.”

Over the next 30 minutes, you were given a brief history of what happened in the past thousand years. The Earth had been reduced to a toxic wasteland by wars and the only way humans could sustain themselves is by building domes that regulate their internal environment to mimic Earth before the apocalypse.

The chamber opened and you left the building. You walked into a metropolitan of high-tech buildings and thousands of people going about doing their own business. Looking up into the sky, you saw the glass dome, the dome which you are destined to live in for the remainder of this lifetime.

Welcome to the future.

Roles & Factions:

Cyber-Criminals

Chooses a player to kill once every night. Wins by being the last faction standing.

Mastermind: Able to orchestrate elaborate schemes behind peoples’ backs, he will appear as an [innocent] when spied upon, unless he is blocked the same night he was spied on.

Hacker: A capable hacker, he is able to hack into the city mainframe and issue orders to place a player in house arrest, blocking the player’s action for a night. May target the same player two nights in a row.

Citizens

Wins by being the last faction standing.

Doctor: She can save one player every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Enforcer: He can block a player from acting every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Information Analyst: She can look up a player’s files and learn the player’s faction.

Sentry: If she is killed, will reveal the role of the killer in the night post. Only once throughout the game, may sacrifice self to kill one player. The Sentry's role will be made public if she is killed/died with her victim.

Bio-Engineer: Every night, PMs the role with a dead player and a role match-up. Also included in the PM will be the target for the night. If the RID is correct (confirmation will be sent at the end of the night), he will perform the action of the dead player on his target.

Credit: UR and CL.

College Graduate: He can choose a player every night to party with. The player will lose his/her vote the following day. He will join the cyber-criminals and gain BTSC if the Hacker targets him. When spied will appear as [Cyber-Criminal] if he is converted.

Informant Network

Wins by completing individual win-con or by being the last faction standing.

Information Monger: On odd nights may choose to track a player and learn his/her target. On top of that, every night, sends the host a list of player and role ID matchups. If all matchups are correct, the Information Monger wins. If not, he will only be told the number of matchups he has correct, but not which ones.

Only once in game, may hire an assassin from his network and RID kill a player, during the day or night cycle. This kill cannot be blocked.

When spied will appear as [innocent], unless blocked. If blocked on the same night he is being spied on, will appear as [Cyber-Criminal].

Gameplay Mechanics:

1. Tie lynches will result in the lynch of all players who tied.

2. Blocks always prevail. All blocks will be calculated to giving the least amount of actions.

3. Beyond that, all other actions are calculated to giving the most amount of deaths.

4. Day and Night cycles are 24 hours, Nights may end earlier if I get all the actions in.

5. Have fun.

Host: scsw

Sign-ups:

Edited by scsw

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Host: scsw

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. MrsP

3. EDM

4. GMaster479

EDM, you can also sign up for Ye Olde Mafia if you think you can handle it.

Also scsw, just so the Mafias to come thread fulfills it purpose and for everyone in general, when you post a topic update that so that it reflects the current status of the Mafias. Thanks :)

Will block/save attempts (including the college graduate's target) be revealed in the posts, or will it be only if they have an effect?

Will the college graduate's next-day-lynch-vote-block occur even if the college graduate is killed the previous night?

Does the college graduate's action have any affect on his target's night action? (I remember to ask this because of HSM2, since it wasn't clear until the final day that the drunk's action was also a night block)

How do the mechanics of the information monger's RID kill work? Does the kill take effect prior to the current cycle's end, or does it take place at the cycle's post? I'm just thinking that you may want to not shorten the night cycle to allow the IM the entire cycle to choose to make the kill if this is the case. Otherwise, you may end up in a situation in which the IM wants to affect the following day's activities by killing a player, but if you shorten the night cycle, you may inadvertently force the IM to kill during the following day's cycle rather than during the intended cycle...

Am I reading the Sentry's role correctly in that it will reveal the player name of the person that kills him/her along with the role? E.g. if i am the sentry and MrsP is the Hacker and kills me on night 1, it will reveal that MrsP is the Hacker in the post, right?

OK. that's it for now :)

Will block/save attempts (including the college graduate's target) be revealed in the posts, or will it be only if they have an effect?

Blocks are never revealed. Saves are revealed only if it worked.

Will the college graduate's next-day-lynch-vote-block occur even if the college graduate is killed the previous night?

The targeted player loses his/her vote that evening so, yes it does.

Does the college graduate's action have any affect on his target's night action? (I remember to ask this because of HSM2, since it wasn't clear until the final day that the drunk's action was also a night block)

No it does not. The graduate's role is very different from the drunk; if a comparison needs to be made, then he is more simlar to the Merchant in FM2, except he doesn't steal the vote.

How do the mechanics of the information monger's RID kill work? Does the kill take effect prior to the current cycle's end, or does it take place at the cycle's post? I'm just thinking that you may want to not shorten the night cycle to allow the IM the entire cycle to choose to make the kill if this is the case. Otherwise, you may end up in a situation in which the IM wants to affect the following day's activities by killing a player, but if you shorten the night cycle, you may inadvertently force the IM to kill during the following day's cycle rather than during the intended cycle...

It takes place at the end of the Day or Night. Should the scenario that I shortened the Night arise, and the IM sends in the RID kill before the night would originally end, the kill takes place immediately in an addendum post.

Am I reading the Sentry's role correctly in that it will reveal the player name of the person that kills him/her along with the role? E.g. if i am the sentry and MrsP is the Hacker and kills me on night 1, it will reveal that MrsP is the Hacker in the post, right?

She will reveal only the name of the player that killed him/her. But in the night post, the Role carrying out the kill is mentioned, and I believe our players can put two and two together. :)

OK. that's it for now :)

Also a few other things:

1. If the College Graduate gets recruited, it is mentioned in the Night Post.

2. If the Bio-Engineer steals the Sentry's role and is killed that night, he will also reveal his killer's role.

3. If the Sentry kills a player and is targeted by a killer that same night, she will also reveal her killer's role.

Okay sayalzah, nights and days are each 24 hours. scsw, the host, is in Pacific Standard Time and most of the times for night and day will be shown in that time and in EST as well for you and others. They will only change if the scsw is late with a post or if he decides to end night early. In both cases you will get some forewarning. Also just so you know Ye Olde Mafia 2 will happen first so this one won't start up for about a week. I know you might be impatient and such but it'll be good to watch one happen and look into what some of the more experienced players do.