BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

I'm not a cadet

plasmid

Question

Cruising highways of dirt that I've traveled

It seems for my whole life long

Much I've seen, many paths I've unraveled

But this I've not come upon

Feels strange. Need a change. Screw this life, I'll leave the range.

Take this path unlike all the others

The gangplank, it shines and gleams

Lone way out for I can't see another

Must follow this route, it seems

U-turn. Tires burn. From this trek will I return?

Out this window, so awestruck I gander

My gaze, it bewilders me

Sights and sounds, technological grandeur

Adventure's a guarantee

Struck gold. Glad I'm bold. Say, you think it's getting cold?

Fly through skies with my buddies in service

Although we don't really bond

Soon we die with a dignified purpose

For those still at home, so fond

Trying something a little different. Still a what-am-I riddle, but not as heavy on lots of clues that need to fit just right, just focusing more on telling the story. Again, apologies in advance if I can't check in too often, but work's a real bear.

Quite a few guesses along the lines of minerals. The similarity to mining is understandable, considering what the answer is, but minerals don't really do much traveling along highways and therefore you wouldn't really have a good reason to say that they're making a U-turn when being mined.

"dirt" isn't literal

I kind of like rat as an answer; its venturing into a human's house might explain the transition from dirt higways to a technological environment. Trouble is, there really isn't much in the way of "higways" for them outside, and they don't die a very dignified death for a noble cause. For a wheel, this would be a strange story and certainly not one that would apply to most wheels. Maybe it could apply to some particular specialized kind of wheel, but for the sake of not leading you astray I'll just say that's not where I'm heading.

A little concerning that the riddle hasn't been solved by Braindenners in over a week, kind of makes me think that it might have been too vague or too esoteric or something. Admittedly it's related to my work, but the general population would still be familiar with it (that is a hint), and I think it's fairly unique in being a slam-dunk match for all the clues so I'll give it a bit longer. Apologies again for not being able to check in often.