BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

I'm not a cadet

plasmid

Question

Cruising highways of dirt that I've traveled

It seems for my whole life long

Much I've seen, many paths I've unraveled

But this I've not come upon

Feels strange. Need a change. Screw this life, I'll leave the range.

Take this path unlike all the others

The gangplank, it shines and gleams

Lone way out for I can't see another

Must follow this route, it seems

U-turn. Tires burn. From this trek will I return?

Out this window, so awestruck I gander

My gaze, it bewilders me

Sights and sounds, technological grandeur

Adventure's a guarantee

Struck gold. Glad I'm bold. Say, you think it's getting cold?

Fly through skies with my buddies in service

Although we don't really bond

Soon we die with a dignified purpose

For those still at home, so fond

Trying something a little different. Still a what-am-I riddle, but not as heavy on lots of clues that need to fit just right, just focusing more on telling the story. Again, apologies in advance if I can't check in too often, but work's a real bear.

was a fish in a fish bowl, and then a kaleidoscope, but after rereading the lines you brought to my attention, and still keeping in mind the line about gold and cold, I'm thinking it must be Hal 900. : D

bee hive

Edit for:

ant colony

Nothing military or with aviation; that's the type of answer that the title is meant to exclude. An outlaw wouldn't have a particularly dignified purpose. It would seem like an odd description for a cattle drive. HAL 9000 would be a great fit for the end, but not really for the dirt paths of the first stanza. Oil would be a great answer if there's such a thing as migratory oil that would fit the first stanza... and as a matter of fact it's rather similar in spirit to what I've got in mind.

For insects, an experimental drosophila would fit nearly every clue except for the gangplank... considering my background, it's surprising I didn't think of it and add a few more clues to "rule it out" when I was writing this one. Diamonds wouldn't fit the last couple of lines (as any James Bond fan knows). Water, especially if it were bottled water, could be a very good answer, but there's something I'm getting at with the last two lines of the riddle that water doesn't quite fit the bill for.

Well, this is made with carbon and molecules; and isn't a font.

To recap the clues: I'm something that travels along a set of "highways of dirt" with many tortuous paths to be explored. But one day I took a turn (u-turn as a matter of fact) onto a shining, gleaming "gangplank". I ended up looking out a window onto a rather high-tech scene. It got chilly. I died for the benefit of those like me who were left behind; and did not do much "bonding" in the process.