BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just because I woke up ( due to a nightmare) and cant go back to sleep tey. I check back here, wow, I like the progress.

Just to get the questions/discussions going? Does anyone have any suspects for murder yet?? Any likely reasons?

@Michael ( Kathleen )

What is the name of your consultant firm? It might be the one I used a few years back?

Hello! My name is Kathryn Lawless. I am Elizabeth's best friend, for all of you who don't know. I have been best friends with Elizabeth since the tender age of 6. I still remember the day we met at school like it was tomorrow...anyways, I came to this lovely farm to share a cup of tea with Eli. I'm terribly sad that she has decided to sell the farm and move to the East Coast. We are almost joined at the hip, and it will be very lonesome without Elizabeth's company.

I am the head librarian of the town's main library for the last ten years. I can proudly say that I have read all the books by Agatha Christie, Patricia Cornwell and Lilian Jackson Braun, just to name a few. But oh, you musn't mistaken me with those boring librarians one sees in movies! That will damage my great reputation of being the largest gossip in this town. You can ask anyone, I know everything about everybody.

Well, that's enough about me. So, why are there so many people here? I'm sure Eli doesn't want too many guests after such a tragic event!!!

*Holds out hand* Hi there, let me introduce myself. My name is Michael Nightshade, land development consultant, and...one second *holds phone to ear* Yes? Uh huh? One minute, I'm in the middle of something... *puts away* Sorry, my firm partner. Where were we? Ah yes...I came to Killingsworth Farm for business reasons; I had...well...a minimal amount of money to find some land, and when I saw the real estate listing in the newspaper, I came right away! So where is the homeowner?

<(^-^)>

Interesting...I'd imagine with the recent economic problems real estate would would cheap now...

Also...with all these people here, how do you know the homeowner is absent? The only way you'd know she wasn't one of the people gathered here is if you've met her before and are only pretending to be at the farm for the first time...so what's your real story? ;P

Interesting...I'd imagine with the recent economic problems real estate would would cheap now...

Also...with all these people here, how do you know the homeowner is absent? The only way you'd know she wasn't one of the people gathered here is if you've met her before and are only pretending to be at the farm for the first time...so what's your real story? ;P

Y-san why are you asking us questions if our characters dont even know she is dead yet? :wacko:

edit: added a question mark and smily

Edited by Riranor

I was hoping someone here knows who they are...why the large group? I didn't think there were too many people interested in this place...oh my firm? *Holds out a business card* Nightshade/Pinkington, Associates in Real Estate.

<(^-^)>

When do we start to ask questions??

Now!

Y-san why are you asking us questions if our characters dont even know she is dead yet? :wacko:

edit: added a question mark and smily

from Post 1

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Just replying to various statements...

"hello everyone my name is Enrique Graves. I came to this farm around a year ago when i had no where to sleep so i snuck into Killingsworth Farm and spent the night in the barn. Elizabeth found me but instead of kicking me out she took me in and let me stay on the farm providing i did my fair share of work.

I did that work and later on Elizabeth encouraged me to return to collage at night while still working on the farm during the day. I started going to the library and became good friends with Kathryn, who helps me every now and then with my college work...

Now that Robert has died I am worried that i will have to drop out of college and leave the farm... I really enjoyed staying here."

Ah yes, nice to see you again, Enrique. It has been a couple of days since I last saw you. How has that English essay of yours going? You know that I am always here to help, so please do not hesitate to drop by once in a while.

Hello Enrique, nice to meet you. I am Vicki D’Adly, Elizabeth’s younger sister. I am adored to my sister very much since I was a child. We only have 1 year age gap so we were very close to each other and she was my best friends….. but that’s before she growing older and discovering boys! I even totally lost touch with her when she married Robert Killingsworth and moved to California.

Hey, do you notice the man that leaning against the wall there? He’s my husband, Norman. We got married after graduating high school. Yes, he’s my high school sweetheart. We are still staying at my hometown - Jersey City. We have a warm and happy family with 3 lovely boys!

We have been traveling around the country in our new RV. We arrived at here yesterday. I didn't realized that Robert has passed away. Poor Sis, she must be very sad. The purpose I come here is because I was thinking maybe I should come and visit her so we can be close to each other like last time. But I don’t expect she has so many visitors here too. What’s going on here? :huh:

Oh, Vicki, the famous sister of Elizabeth! You should hear her talk about you! It is a great pleasure to finally meet you, although it is quite unfortunate giving the circumstances. It's quite sad that you lost touch with her though...although her husband's death may cause you to become closer to her again...

*Holds out hand* Hi there, let me introduce myself. My name is Michael Nightshade, land development consultant, and...one second *holds phone to ear* Yes? Uh huh? One minute, I'm in the middle of something... *puts away* Sorry, my firm partner. Where were we? Ah yes...I came to Killingsworth Farm for business reasons; I had...well...a minimal amount of money to find some land, and when I saw the real estate listing in the newspaper, I came right away! So where is the homeowner?

<(^-^)>

Nice to meet you, Michael, although your great eagerness towards buying the farm is slightly worrying for me...

*Leaning on wall like Vicki said sipping his drink in a sly and intelligent manner* Hello everyone my name is Norman. "nice to meet you everyone. *walks towards Micheal and shakes his hands* Vicki has already basically explained why we are here, and yes that is very sad news. I can't believe Robert died and we didn't know. I will have o talk to Elizabeth about that when we see her.

As you already know me and Vicki are married, but we actually met through Elizabeth. We use to be sweethearts ;however, things didn't work out. It was probably one of the best choices of my life too.I got to meet Vicki and now I am having a very fine life. *Puts done his drink and takes out some binoculars... cleaning them wit ha small cloth* Anyone have any interesting hobbies? I am a excellent ornithologist. *looks around at some puzzled faces* if you don't know what that is it's bird watching. The birds are just so peaceful and elegant like... my wife over there. *sighs* I'm still anxious to see Elizabeth though... where could she be?

OOC: that was fun to type :D this is going to be really fun! So far all the other post are very interesting too... oh... forgot some pilotness XD *adds "nice to meet you everyone *walks towards Micheal and shakes his hands*

Hmm, you used to be together with Elizabeth? How peculiar...In any case, a pleasure to meet you, Norman.

"Ah, hello? Yes, I'm still here. In any case. I am Dr. Chelsea Barren - and don't you forget the doctor, retired as I am or not. My patients were the kind that would make many of you squeal like little schoolgirls if you met them - the big-name stars, the ones with their names up in lights across my hometown of Los Angeles. Though none of them had very interesting problems - a bad contract here, an affair with Tom Cruise there - they did give me plenty of time to drift off to my own fantasy-land, and for that I owe them my almost-best-selling novel. I, ah, am working on a sequel. Perhaps one of you would like to read the draft...? Oh! Not the time, not the time at all, sorry.

More on the point, Elizabeth and I were not friends, but not enemies - more of acquaintences, perhaps. We moved to the farmland at the same time, just after it was subdivided.

I am married, so don't any of you 'gentlemen' get any ideas. My husband is currently overseas on business. I could explain what he does but I don't want to bore any of you to death - pardon the choice of words. Though his social life is undoubtedly drab, mine has only soared since I moved here. As many of you may no doubt have noticed, I host parties for the real gentlemen of this community. In fact, it's a bit embarrassing, but I came to Elizabeth's land today to ask if I could use some of it for valet parking..."

OOC: :mellow: I think I wrote more than anyone else. :P But that was a lot of fun to write!

Edit: Changed the shade of blue. :lol:

Hello, Dr. Barren. I recall Elizabeth mentioning you once or twice. Just for my curiosity, but why did you move to the farmland?

I was hoping someone here knows who they are...why the large group? I didn't think there were too many people interested in this place...oh my firm? *Holds out a business card* Nightshade/Pinkington, Associates in Real Estate.

<(^-^)>

Pinkington? So you have an associate?

Edited by star_tiger

Hello, Dr. Barren. I recall Elizabeth mentioning you once or twice. Just for my curiosity, but why did you move to the farmland?

Hello, Kathryn. Quite nice to meet you. As for why I moved to the farmland? As I said, my husband's social life is rather drab. It always has been, and the fast pace of Los Angeles was starting to put a strain on us. Rather than ruin what really is a good thing, we decided to move to a quieter town. Though, I must say, that's really none of your business, Ma'am.

Edit: Color.

Edited by Kay

Just replying to various statements...

Oh, Vicki, the famous sister of Elizabeth! You should hear her talk about you! It is a great pleasure to finally meet you, although it is quite unfortunate giving the circumstances. It's quite sad that you lost touch with her though...although her husband's death may cause you to become closer to her again...

I just thought we could be closer like before, afterall we are sisters. But I never expect to received the sad new the moment I reach here. Anyway, lets talk later when we see her.

By the way, you said she talk to you about me? What does she talk about? Did she ever mention she saw me appeared on the Gerry Springger Show ? I remember the title for that episod was "What I'd Do For a Buck". My collegue and I still talk about this at the beauty shop. :)

Following ST's - ah, Kathryn's - lead.

"hello everyone my name is Enrique Graves. I came to this farm around a year ago when i had no where to sleep so i snuck into Killingsworth Farm and spent the night in the barn. Elizabeth found me but instead of kicking me out she took me in and let me stay on the farm providing i did my fair share of work.

I did that work and later on Elizabeth encouraged me to return to collage at night while still working on the farm during the day. I started going to the library and became good friends with Kathryn, who helps me every now and then with my college work...

Now that Robert has died I am worried that i will have to drop out of college and leave the farm... I really enjoyed staying here."

Why, hello Enrique. Nice to make your acquaintance. However, why is it that, if Elizabeth hired you, you are afraid you will have to leave now that Robert has died?

Hello Enrique, nice to meet you. I am Vicki D’Adly, Elizabeth’s younger sister. I am adored to my sister very much since I was a child. We only have 1 year age gap so we were very close to each other and she was my best friends….. but that’s before she growing older and discovering boys! I even totally lost touch with her when she married Robert Killingsworth and moved to California.

Hey, do you notice the man that leaning against the wall there? He’s my husband, Norman. We got married after graduating high school. Yes, he’s my high school sweetheart. We are still staying at my hometown - Jersey City. We have a warm and happy family with 3 lovely boys!

We have been traveling around the country in our new RV. We arrived at here yesterday. I didn't realized that Robert has passed away. Poor Sis, she must be very sad. The purpose I come here is because I was thinking maybe I should come and visit her so we can be close to each other like last time. But I don’t expect she has so many visitors here too. What’s going on here?

Nice to make your acquaintance, Mrs. D'Adly. Why the sudden urge to visit your sister, though, after what I assume must be years?

I share sentiments with Kathyrn; why so eager to buy the farm after Robert...ah...bought the farm?

OOC: Okay, so so so sorry for the groan-worthiness of that pun. :lol: But I've been sitting on it all day. It had to be done. ;)

*Leaning on wall like Vicki said sipping his drink in a sly and intelligent manner* Hello everyone my name is Norman. "nice to meet you everyone. *walks towards Micheal and shakes his hands* Vicki has already basically explained why we are here, and yes that is very sad news. I can't believe Robert died and we didn't know. I will have o talk to Elizabeth about that when we see her.

As you already know me and Vicki are married, but we actually met through Elizabeth. We use to be sweethearts ;however, things didn't work out. It was probably one of the best choices of my life too.I got to meet Vicki and now I am having a very fine life. *Puts done his drink and takes out some binoculars... cleaning them wit ha small cloth* Anyone have any interesting hobbies? I am a excellent ornithologist. *looks around at some puzzled faces* if you don't know what that is it's bird watching. The birds are just so peaceful and elegant like... my wife over there. *sighs* I'm still anxious to see Elizabeth though... where could she be?

Ah! Not that I am trying to make any accusations, but your history with the Widow Elizabeth leads me to believe that perhaps it wasn't all Vicki's idea to suddenly visit her sister...?

Hello! My name is Kathryn Lawless. I am Elizabeth's best friend, for all of you who don't know. I have been best friends with Elizabeth since the tender age of 6. I still remember the day we met at school like it was tomorrow...anyways, I came to this lovely farm to share a cup of tea with Eli. I'm terribly sad that she has decided to sell the farm and move to the East Coast. We are almost joined at the hip, and it will be very lonesome without Elizabeth's company.

I am the head librarian of the town's main library for the last ten years. I can proudly say that I have read all the books by Agatha Christie, Patricia Cornwell and Lilian Jackson Braun, just to name a few. But oh, you musn't mistaken me with those boring librarians one sees in movies! That will damage my great reputation of being the largest gossip in this town. You can ask anyone, I know everything about everybody.

Well, that's enough about me. So, why are there so many people here? I'm sure Eli doesn't want too many guests after such a tragic event!!!

Nice to make your acquaintance, Ms. Lawless. Haven't you any friends or family other than Elizabeth? ?

Ah! Not that I am trying to make any accusations, but your history with the Widow Elizabeth leads me to believe that perhaps it wasn't all Vicki's idea to suddenly visit her sister...?

what are you trying to say?!

edit: forgot to put the rest of Kay's post in quotes

Edited by Riranor

Oh, me? Nothing at all, Mr. D'Adly. Your past, on the other hand, appears to have quite a lot to say...

Do you think i would cheat on my wife or something?! i would never do such a thing! How rude of you to even say such a thing! You know nothing about me!

Do you think i would cheat on my wife or something?! i would never do such a thing! How rude of you to even say such a thing! You know nothing about me!

True, I know very little about you apart from what you've told me. But I can discern no other person who would have any reason to want Mr. Killingsworth dead. I'm a mystery writer, you must remember. I can deduce quite a lot from quite a little.

True, I know very little about you apart from what you've told me. But I can discern no other person who would have any reason to want Mr. Killingsworth dead. I'm a mystery writer, you must remember. I can deduce quite a lot from quite a little.

How could I even have killed him! Me and Vicki weren't even here in the area till this morning. From what i heard he has been dead. How could i have killed him? Vicki can even prove i didn't since i was with her!

I just thought we could be closer like before, afterall we are sisters. But I never expect to received the sad new the moment I reach here. Anyway, lets talk later when we see her.

By the way, you said she talk to you about me? What does she talk about? Did she ever mention she saw me appeared on the Gerry Springger Show ? I remember the title for that episod was "What I'd Do For a Buck". My collegue and I still talk about this at the beauty shop. :)

Aah, I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of Jerry Springer Show, although I believe Elizabeth mentioned something about you appearing on TV.

Nice to make your acquaintance, Ms. Lawless. Haven't you any friends or family other than Elizabeth? ?

Are you accusing me as a loner? Of course I have more friends other than Eli! Although, naturally, Elizabeth is the closest friend I have. I will proudly say I'm close to most of the people living in this chummy town. One doesn't become the town's major gossip from sitting at home all day knitting! If I may say so myself, I have quite the social life B))

How could I even have killed him! Me and Vicki weren't even here in the area till this morning. From what i heard he has been dead. How could i have killed him? Vicki can even prove i didn't since i was with her!

Speaking strictly from my aforementioned mystery-writer-psyche, you and I both know a person does not need to be in a room with a man to kill him. Therefore your wife's testimony on your behalf will mean little, though if it will ease your mind I see no problem in letting her speak.

There's really no reason to get so upset, Mr. D'Adly. Unless, of course, you're concerned with where this conversation is going....

Aah, your unbreakable love to Vicki. In this case, can it be that one of you is the killer and the other knows, but due to this love, the other will not "tattletale" on his/her partner?

Speaking strictly from my aforementioned mystery-writer-psyche, you and I both know a person does not need to be in a room with a man to kill him. Therefore your wife's testimony on your behalf will mean little, though if it will ease your mind I see no problem in letting her speak.

There's really no reason to get so upset, Mr. D'Adly. Unless, of course, you're concerned with where this conversation is going....

In Mr. D'Adly's defense, I'm sure anyone would be bothered and would automatically defend themselves if put into such a position. To be accused of a murder is quite the thing to rattle a brain!

OOC: that was fun to type :D this is going to be really fun! So far all the other post are very interesting too... oh... forgot some pilotness XD *adds "nice to meet you everyone *walks towards Micheal and shakes his hands*

OOC: Didn't see the OOC part o.O

*Shakes hand* Nice to meet you Sir...hobbies you say? Well I like to draw, it comes with the job of landscaper...would you like to see the sketch of the land, which I did earlier?

Sketched map of the surrounding area:

Round1%20-%20ClueImg.jpeg

<(^-^)>

Edit: Sorry...Tal told me I had to post that soon...:unsure:

Edited by Kathleen

*starts to calm down* i need to relax... sorry for snapping... i'm sorta have been a little overworked which is why we went on this vacation in the first place. I overreacted. *takes some more drink* i just need to relax and release some stress...