Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

8 random quickies

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#51 kolon

kolon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

1. Water. When being frozen at sea level, between the temperatures of +3.98°c and 0°c, something magical happens... At +3.98°c, water is at it's most dense (natrually), and so freezes into a solid. Between +3.98°c and 0°c, water becomes less dense, hence thawing and appearing "warmer", whilst actually getting colder, until at 0c, it freezes again.

Didn't any of you know this? How do you think your fish survive in winter when your pond freezes over? The top is frozen, as it is around 3.98°c, but the water underneath is between +3.98°c and 0°c.

2. Anything originally black, with white "dirt", such as chalk, dust (although that could be grey...) etc.

3. Sponge, cloth, towel, dogs, kids, etc. Anything that soaks up water really...

4. 8oz according to the starter of this thread... This is the only one I am not sure about, as I think it might be a joke, but I'm going to say "It depends on the woodchuck".

5. Expanding foam from a DIY shop! Seriously though, there are hundreds of answers - number of dead people, number of people born, directionally positive numbers in general, number of digits in pi (so far!), etc.

7. The only clock that could be right once a day is a slow or fast clock. If this is true, then it "is time to get a new clock". Unless, of course, you meant a broken clock, which would be right twice a day if it had hands, never if the hands were broken off, or if it was a broken digital clock, just change the battery, plug it in, or get a new one.

8. A Tetrahedral (not a Tetrahedron) Read the thread for a description of it...

Anyone care to challenge me on question 1?

#52 divinityman

divinityman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

well I believe the answer to number 1 is the Earth, as the northern hemisphere gets hotter the southern hemisphere gets colder, and as the southern hemisphere gets hotter the northern hemisphere gets colder

#53 hawaiidave

hawaiidave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Regarding number 7 - I am not sure how universally used a military clock is, but a clock that measures in military time - such as 10:00p.m. is called 22:00 hours (twenty-two hundred hours). This type of clock would be right once a day if broken.

#54 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

1.what gets hotter as it gets colder?
2.what is white when it's dirty turns black as you clean it?
3.what gets wetter as it dries?
4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random)
5.what gets bigger and never smaller?
6.how much money do you need to be rich?
7.what time is it when your clock is only right once a day?
8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up?

feel free to add more questions in your comments if you like.

4.the answer is 1

#55 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:10 AM

[quote name='ash013' date='Feb 25 2008, 01:56 AM' post='12428']
4.the answer is 1
1.By using the laws of termodinamic canbe everythink,that needs power for cooling-refrigerator.As colder become inside as hoter is outside.

#56 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:34 AM

1. Water. When being frozen at sea level, between the temperatures of +3.98°c and 0°c, something magical happens... At +3.98°c, water is at it's most dense (natrually), and so freezes into a solid. Between +3.98°c and 0°c, water becomes less dense, hence thawing and appearing "warmer", whilst actually getting colder, until at 0c, it freezes again.

Didn't any of you know this? How do you think your fish survive in winter when your pond freezes over? The top is frozen, as it is around 3.98°c, but the water underneath is between +3.98°c and 0°c.

2. Anything originally black, with white "dirt", such as chalk, dust (although that could be grey...) etc.

3. Sponge, cloth, towel, dogs, kids, etc. Anything that soaks up water really...

4. 8oz according to the starter of this thread... This is the only one I am not sure about, as I think it might be a joke, but I'm going to say "It depends on the woodchuck".

5. Expanding foam from a DIY shop! Seriously though, there are hundreds of answers - number of dead people, number of people born, directionally positive numbers in general, number of digits in pi (so far!), etc.

7. The only clock that could be right once a day is a slow or fast clock. If this is true, then it "is time to get a new clock". Unless, of course, you meant a broken clock, which would be right twice a day if it had hands, never if the hands were broken off, or if it was a broken digital clock, just change the battery, plug it in, or get a new one.

I will,because you saying stuped things.When the temperature is approximately 4°C the water has the bigest density.That means,when the temperature starts to droping down and reach 4°C the surface layer water become heavier and droping down and on it place comes new one with biger temperature.after some time this layer will olso cool till 4°C and olso fall down..That prevent the seas from freezing from the botom and doesn't mean at all that the water become hoter when is cooling.

#57 storm

storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:41 AM

Interesting theory. Water freezes at 0o C, not in 3.98o C. At near 4o C water becomes dense. As the temperature becomes cooler, density falls and when it comes to 0, ice is formed. This is the Basic law of thermal physics. That is why ice floats over water. fish survives as ice is floating over water and warmer water is beneath ice. NOT like your theory

#58 Kastaway

Kastaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

7. Any 24-hour clock will only be right once a day if it stops.

#59 PlaneTech

PlaneTech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

A woodchuck could chuck ALL the wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood! :blink:

#60 Bellivara

Bellivara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

For what gets hotter as it gets colder, I think it's a heater. "As IT gets colder" might have been referring to the temperature. I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users