BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Sorry if some of this has been posted before, but I did a search and didn't see any of these.

1) Obviously, "a" and "I" are the shortest English words. Since they are only one letter, they are also the shortest palindromes (spelled the same forwards and backwards). What is the 2nd shortest palindrome? There may be debate whether this word is English or not, but it is a commonly allowed word in Scrabble and word games.

2) What is the shortest English sentence? (number of characters) There is more than one correct answer to this, so list as many as you can. I thought of two off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more. As a stipulation, it must be a typical simple sentence, not a question, exclamation, or other.

3) What is the only word that becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?

4) What is the only word that you can eliminate the last 4 letters and it is pronounced the same

16 answers to this question

1) I really can't think of any two-letter ones that I believe are English. I'll go with a word like 'dad'.

2) 'Go.' It is the empirical form, and so is a complete sentence.

3) short

4) queue (q)

Sorry if some of this has been posted before, but I did a search and didn't see any of these.

1) Obviously, "a" and "I" are the shortest English words. Since they are only one letter, they are also the shortest palindromes (spelled the same forwards and backwards). What is the 2nd shortest palindrome? There may be debate whether this word is English or not, but it is a commonly allowed word in Scrabble and word games.

2) What is the shortest English sentence? (number of characters) There is more than one correct answer to this, so list as many as you can. I thought of two off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more. As a stipulation, it must be a typical simple sentence, not a question, exclamation, or other.

4) What is the only word that you can eliminate the last 4 letters and it is pronounced the same

1. "aa" I think I remember that from my scrabble club days...

2. You!

3. "short" + er = "shorter"

4. "queue" - ueue = Q

1. "aa" I think I remember that from my scrabble club days...

2. You!

3. "short" + er = "shorter"

4. "queue" - ueue = Q

Karen's answer for #1 is the only one I know of (a type of volcanic rock). Other people have posted two letter words with the same two letters, and to the best of my knowledge, they are not any of the commonly 88 acceptable 2-letter words in English.

For those posting one-word answers to #2, I think you went beyond what I was thinking with using the implied subject and imperative form of sentences, but I think with the instructions I gave, those answers are the best.

1) Obviously, "a" and "I" are the shortest English words. Since they are only one letter, they are also the shortest palindromes (spelled the same forwards and backwards).

What is the 2nd shortest palindrome?

There may be debate whether this word is English or not, but it is a commonly allowed word in Scrabble and word games.

oo, mm, ee and other two letter words.

Otherwise, aha.

2) What is the shortest English sentence? (number of characters)

There is more than one correct answer to this, so list as many as you can.

I thought of two off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.

As a stipulation, it must be a typical simple sentence, not a question, exclamation, or other.

Hi. Interjection; greeting; but kind of exclamation-ish.

I and A can be sentences: Who would like to come? I.

What is the first letter of the alphabet? A.

Short

Sameness - except it should technically be "the sameness" which isn't a word.

The real answer is queue.