Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A society that prizes girls

Best Answer bonanova, 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Spoiler for Think bonanova and prime are correct

Since it's solved, I won't spoiler this.

The answer is not complex. Every birth, regardless of anything that is said, done, legislated, prohibited, presupposed, calculated, imagined or hoped for, has equal chances of being a boy or girl.

If you flip a coin an odd number of times, then, yes, the number of heads and tails cannot be equal. But the question is for large numbers of conceptions and births - for a society - where, even though the numbers of boys and girls may not be exactly equal at every moment - each birth changes the running total - the chances of an excess of boys exactly equals the chances of an excess of girls. The question asks whether a birth control strategy can affect the society's overall gender balance in a systematic way. The answer is no, it can not.

No calculus needed. ^_^

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Spoiler for Series are not my strong point...

>The number of people in the society is not specified either. I assume, there are n married couples.

Spoiler for my calculation

I think there is a discrepancy with bonanova's answer because...

Spoiler for

Sure. The gender distribution within families is terribly skewed.

1. A family can have an unlimited number of boys; a family can never have more than one girl.
  2. A family can have a girl with no brothers [half!]; a family can  never have a boy with no sisters.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#12 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

The series is infinite, and the variable term thus equals zero. There are equal numbers of boys and girls on average. Bonanova is right. It's a happy ending. In each generation everyone gets his/her mate.   :)

Past prime, actually.

#13 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Edited by phaze, 21 February 2013 - 01:14 AM.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#14 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM   Best Answer

Since it's solved, I won't spoiler this.

The answer is not complex. Every birth, regardless of anything that is said, done, legislated, prohibited, presupposed, calculated, imagined or hoped for, has equal chances of being a boy or girl.

If you flip a coin an odd number of times, then, yes, the number of heads and tails cannot be equal. But the question is for large numbers of conceptions and births - for a society - where, even though the numbers of boys and girls may not be exactly equal at every moment - each birth changes the running total - the chances of an excess of boys exactly equals the chances of an excess of girls. The question asks whether a birth control strategy can affect the society's overall gender balance in a systematic way. The answer is no, it can not.

No calculus needed. ^_^

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users