Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Give a monkey enough rope

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

I am giving this puzzle verbatim from a book I read long ago. These days most everything I have ever done was long ago. But I digress. I simply don't trust myself to re-cast it into scintillating banter style. So if its tenor is archaic or arcane, the onus is off me.  Enjoy.

A rope ran over a pulley; at one end was a monkey, at the other end a weight. The two remained in equilibrium. The weight of the rope was 4 oz/foot, and the ages of the monkey and the monkey's mother amounted to four years. The weight of the monkey was as many pounds as the monkey's mother was years old, and the weight of the weight and the weight of the rope were together half as much again as the weight of the monkey.

The weight of the weight exceeded the weight of the rope by as many pounds as the monkey was years old when the monkey's mother was twice as old as the monkey's brother was when the monkey's mother was twice half as old as the monkey's brother will be when the monkey's brother is three times as old as the monkey's mother was when the monkey's mother was three times as old as the monkey was in paragraph 1.

The monkey's mother was twice as old as the monkey was when the monkey's mother was half as old as the monkey will be when the monkey is three times as old as the monkey's mother was when the monkey's mother was three times as old as the monkey was in paragraph 1.

The age of the monkey's mother exceeded the age of the monkey's brother by the same amount as the age of the monkey's brother exceeded the age of the monkey.

What was the length of the rope?

Edited by bonanova, 18 March 2013 - 06:54 AM.
Correct error in Paragraph 2.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

This has languished for a couple of weeks ...
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 hhh3

hhh3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

para 2 and 3 have the most complex sentences i hav evr seen :blink:  i even tried reading from the end of the sentence to the beginning hoping it would help.. but no.... :(

Edited by hhh3, 26 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

alWaYs gaMe!!!

#4 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Spoiler for is Russian translation available?

Past prime, actually.

#5 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Spoiler for answer to Prime

#6 tammie

tammie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

i think its

Spoiler for

Spoiler for explaination?

#7 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

tammie

i think its

Spoiler for

Spoiler for explaination?

Great solve, only it made an assumption about the monkeys' ages. The monkeys did all just come from their birthday parties, so the ages are fractional not whole numbers. Give it another try. For helpers, the rope is shorter than your calculation gave.

Spoiler for Guidance

- Bertrand Russell

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Конечно ...  ^_^

Веревка подбежал шкив, на одном конце была обезьяна, на другом конце вес.Два оставшихся в равновесии.Вес каната было 4 унции / футбол, а в возрасте от обезьяны и мать обезьяны составил четыре года.Вес обезьяна была много фунтов, как мать обезьяны было лет, и весом весом и весом каната вместе были в полтора раза больше, поскольку вес обезьян.

Вес вес превышал вес веревки, как многие фунтов, как обезьяна лет, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяна будет, когда брат обезьяны в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны Когда мама была обезьяна была в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Мать обезьяны был вдвое старше обезьяна Когда мать обезьяны был наполовину стара, как обезьяна будет Когда обезьяна в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Возраст матери обезьяны превысил возраст брата обезьяны на такую ​​же сумму, как возраст брата обезьяны превысил возраст обезьяны.

Какова была длина веревки?

- Bertrand Russell

#9 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

Конечно ...  ^_^

Веревка подбежал шкив, на одном конце была обезьяна, на другом конце вес.Два оставшихся в равновесии.Вес каната было 4 унции / футбол, а в возрасте от обезьяны и мать обезьяны составил четыре года.Вес обезьяна была много фунтов, как мать обезьяны было лет, и весом весом и весом каната вместе были в полтора раза больше, поскольку вес обезьян.

Вес вес превышал вес веревки, как многие фунтов, как обезьяна лет, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяна будет, когда брат обезьяны в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны Когда мама была обезьяна была в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Мать обезьяны был вдвое старше обезьяна Когда мать обезьяны был наполовину стара, как обезьяна будет Когда обезьяна в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Возраст матери обезьяны превысил возраст брата обезьяны на такую ​​же сумму, как возраст брата обезьяны превысил возраст обезьяны.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So the rope has legs and plays footbal?! And monkey's mother is a male?! And age is money?!

Was it Google translation? I guess, it'll be awhile before computers can understand and translate natural language.

Although it's worth noting that about the only bit translated correctly, is that very thing, which I misunderstood. The translation states, the weight of the rope together with the weight is 1.5 times the weight of the monkey, as the problem statement intended. Whereas I understood it as half weight of the monkey.

Past prime, actually.

#10 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Конечно ...  ^_^ Веревка подбежал шкив, на одном конце была обезьяна, на другом конце вес.Два оставшихся в равновесии.Вес каната было 4 унции / футбол, а в возрасте от обезьяны и мать обезьяны составил четыре года.Вес обезьяна была много фунтов, как мать обезьяны было лет, и весом весом и весом каната вместе были в полтора раза больше, поскольку вес обезьян.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: So the rope has legs and plays footbal?! And monkey's mother is a male?! And age is money?!Was it Google translation? I guess, it'll be awhile before computers can understand and translate natural language.Although it's worth noting that about the only bit translated correctly, is that very thing, which I misunderstood. The translation states, the weight of the rope together with the weight is 1.5 times the weight of the monkey, as the problem statement intended. Whereas I understood it as half weight of the monkey.

I was going to add the caveat that I cannot verify the usefulness of google translate. But yes, I thought all monkeys played football. ;)
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users