Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

National Games event puzzle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unrealdon

unrealdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

There is a decathlon event in national games where 131 people are participating.

One athlete manages to gain 114th position in every individual event.

The puzzle is to find out the highest place he can finish in overall decathlon event?

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Spoiler for hunch

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Spoiler for It depends

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#4 TheChad08

TheChad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Spoiler for It depends

I would assume that the scoring system is based upon position and differs by 1 per spot.
Whether you want to award 131 points for first and 1 point for last and whoever has the most points wins.
OR
Probably easier would be to give first place 1 point and 131st 131 points and make it like golf where the lowest score is best.

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

Spoiler for Hunch

Spoiler for He can do better than that

Spoiler for Here is how

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 unrealdon

unrealdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

you can take the scoring to be exactly like that in Olympics and I dont see any way one could win if he finishes 114th in all events.

bonanova is close.

#7 unrealdon

unrealdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would assume that the scoring system is based upon position and differs by 1 per spot.
Whether you want to award 131 points for first and 1 point for last and whoever has the most points wins.
OR
Probably easier would be to give first place 1 point and 131st 131 points and make it like golf where the lowest score is best.

First assumption holds good for scoring.

#8 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

you can take the scoring to be exactly like that in Olympics and I dont see any way one could win if he finishes 114th in all events.

Spoiler for I did say theoretically:

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#9 unrealdon

unrealdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Spoiler for I did say theoretically:

LoL How do you think all the 113 people can have same score and still have different ranks. Won't they all be having first rank if they had same score?

#10 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

LoL How do you think all the 113 people can have same score and still have different ranks. Won't they all be having first rank if they had same score?

Spoiler for Yep, they'd be joint leaders...

Edit....spelling

Edited by fabpig, 06 August 2012 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users