BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

CaptainEd

Question

I've contributed a few tools for hosting a few kinds of puzzles/games, and I might eventually contribute some more.

Post here for any of several reasons:

1) You've got a problem with Excel or Windows not letting it run at all

2) You've found a bug

3) You've solved a problem someone has reported

4) You'd like additional features/tools (good luck on that, I've got a day job :) ..., but you never know)

I'll maintain a current list of the latest revisions of each tool in this Topic as well.

When you post, it'll help if the title identifies the tool, like

"Master", problem downloading

"Enigmatic", tired of duplicate entry

"Prof", bug on double letters?

That way, people can search and find the posts relating to just the tool they're interested in.

In Open Office, you can turn your macros security a click to "always ask before opening" so that you can allow the good Cap'n's spreadsheet to work. It's under the tools section. I'm not at home, so I can't specifically remember the exact path. I'll post it when I get home.

Grayven, are you also finding that the "...NoMacroRev2" or Rev3 are still claiming that there are macros? I believe to have removed absolutely all vestiges of macros. If I'm wrong, I'm eager to know, so I can find how to go further.

Grayven, are you also finding that the "...NoMacroRev2" or Rev3 are still claiming that there are macros? I believe to have removed absolutely all vestiges of macros. If I'm wrong, I'm eager to know, so I can find how to go further.

I haven't hosted at home since you made it. I still use the macro version at work. I'll open it this evening and let you know. Heck, you went through the trouble, I should at least have done some beta testing for you.

That's odd, I don't want to sound silly, but did you pull the spreadsheet named MasterWordNoMacro? If you did, then I've really got to scratch my head. In "read only" mode, are you able to enter data? That's all that's needed.

Yes, I am sure. And yes, it still says that it contains Macros

In Open Office, you can turn your macros security a click to "always ask before opening" so that you can allow the good Cap'n's spreadsheet to work. It's under the tools section.

Excellent! Found it under the Macros securities section somewhere. Then all I had to do was get rid of the readonly mode AAAANNND IT WORKS!!!!

Thank you CaptainEd and Grayven! This is sweet!

Edited by Brandonb

Yes, I am sure. And yes, it still says that it contains Macros

Excellent! Found it under the Macros securities section somewhere. Then all I had to do was get rid of the readonly mode AAAANNND IT WORKS!!!!

Thank you CaptainEd and Grayven! This is sweet!

What a relief! OK, this is good to know. I think we just have to live with this--I don't know why Excel or Open Excel thinks there are still macros, but Grayven's solution does the trick--go to Security | Macros, and get rid of Readonly mode by making it "Always ask before opening".

Now, there are three spreadsheets, each in Macros and NoMacros forms. Have fun!

Hey Ed, there was a spreadsheet fail in the Masterword game today. Brandonb was hosting this game and had a discrepancy. I don't know which version he is using. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

I DO know which version. He's using the "no macro" version.

Edited by Grayven

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but during my first game using the program I found a glitch...

I was using the secret word 'Blonde' and the word 'Bubbly' inconsistantly yielded the result xooo

the reason I say 'inconsistently' is because, just before writing this I tried it again... and it worked.

THEN I closed the program, reopened it, and now it's checking as 'xooo' again... I cannot figure out what is going on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but during my first game using the program I found a glitch...

I was using the secret word 'Blonde' and the word 'Bubbly' inconsistantly yielded the result xooo

the reason I say 'inconsistently' is because, just before writing this I tried it again... and it worked.

THEN I closed the program, reopened it, and now it's checking as 'xooo' again... I cannot figure out what is going on.

Sorry gang! I know how frustrating it can be to have wrong answers.

Thanks for the alert. There were two problems:

(1) I didn't lowercase all inputs (so B and b might not match)

(2) If a query had multiple instances of a letter, and the first one of those matched in exact location, the query would receive a longer answer (more o's) than it deserved.

These are now fixed in this release:

Masterword no macro still doesn't work for me. When I clear out the filled in areas, I get "err:502" in column D. I get the same error in C when I try to fill it back in.

I used the backspace key to clear.

Never mind, I figured it out. You have to press enter after inputting a query. Arrow key navigation causes errors..

Edited by Grayven

Captain, I seem to be having a problem similar to that of BrandonB's. I had a word in the yellow box and it gave me an incorrect output of 'o' when there should have been an 'oo'. I downloaded the new version, but the problem persists. If I move the letter from the end of the word to somewhere else it recognizes it, but not in that last spot. Does your thing only work for 8 letters because something funny is happening.

Edited by Gmaster479

Captain, I seem to be having a problem similar to that of BrandonB's. I had a word in the yellow box and it gave me an incorrect output of 'o' when there should have been an 'oo'. I downloaded the new version, but the problem persists. If I move the letter from the end of the word to somewhere else it recognizes it, but not in that last spot. Does your thing only work for 8 letters because something funny is happening.

Hi, I'm back. Please tell me the target word and the test word, I'll see what's going wrong. No, it should work for words as long as 20 letters. I hope I trimmed spaces...