BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hippos are EBIL, they have killed more people than any other animal in the world

I can think of at least one animal that has killed more people than the hippo...

General Motors had trouble selling their new car, tthe Nova, to latin america, they then realized in Spanish No Va means it doesnt go!

...yes...'no va' means 'no go'...maybe they should have changed it to 'si va'...

the most deadly creature on earth is the malaria parasite

the Irish Wolfhound is the tallest dog breed...the Chuiaua is the smallest...the St.Bernard has the biggest girth...

Get Rid of Ants =

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants They eat it, take it "home," can't

digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works

and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS

The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the

house for us told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the

dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the fil-

ter after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he

took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a

mesh material ... I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. Well ...

the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us

that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit.

You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your

clothes soft and static free ... that nice fragrance too. You know how they can feel

waxy when you take them out of the box .. well this stuff builds up on your clothes

and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to potentially burn your

house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long

time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with

hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.

He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that!?!

Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that.

So, I thought I'd share!

Note: I went to my dryer and tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran

through a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it

with warm soapy water and a nylon brush and I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when

I rinsed it ... the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all!

That repairman knew what he was talking about!

Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store.

If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil.

It will stay fresh much longer and not mold!

Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating.

Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef.

It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

To really make scrambled eggs or omelets rich add a couple of

spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese,or heavy cream in and then beat them up

A man once caught a 2 pound fish to eat, as he was cleaning it, a foot-long(like SUBWAY) snake came out of it's mouth and bit him, the man shot and killed the snake which was a water mocassin. Luckily he survived...

Moral: ANYTHING can get revenge

Goodbye Fruit Flies

To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar

and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the

cup and gone forever!

Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's cheaper than shaving cream and

leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you

bought but didn't like when you tried it in your hair.

Reopening envelope

If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside,

just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It unseals

easily.

Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of

your car . When the window s fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

Get Rid of Ants =

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants They eat it, take it "home," can't

digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works

and you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS

The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the

house for us told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the

dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the fil-

ter after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he

took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a

mesh material ... I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. Well ...

the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us

that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit.

You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your

clothes soft and static free ... that nice fragrance too. You know how they can feel

waxy when you take them out of the box .. well this stuff builds up on your clothes

and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to potentially burn your

house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long

time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with

hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.

He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that!?!

Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that.

So, I thought I'd share!

Note: I went to my dryer and tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran

through a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it

with warm soapy water and a nylon brush and I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when

I rinsed it ... the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all!

That repairman knew what he was talking about!

THANKYOU!!! we're having troubles with ants!!!

and we should try that thing on our dryer, but it hasn't had any troubles yet, but you neven know...

(we use dryer sheets)

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear. :blink:

When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

The Neanderthal's brain was bigger than yours is. GRRR.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want. ( but what if i forget the word lethologica?)

The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are people. The kangaroo population is estimated at about 40 million.

Mary Stuart became Queen of Scotland when she was only six days old. (goo goo ga ga give me my own shipah!)

The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; "7" was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP" indicated the direction of the bubbles. If you turn it upside-down it becomes 7-down!

The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765, a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets. ......................................

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used. BRING IN THE MULES, GENTLEMEN!

Children grow faster in the springtime. gopher! forget about the shadow!

On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each McDonalds BigMac bun. I'd like a Bic Mac with 179 seeds please!

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down -- hence the expression "to get fired". YOU'RE FIRED... *GULP*

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.

Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights.

There is a law on the books of Detroit, Michigan that states that "Alligators may not be tied to fire hydrants." ( who's gonna try and stop me?)

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

Coca-Cola was originally green. (I wanted coke not BARF!)

The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% ( now get this...) The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%(okay...)

The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in The air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in The air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the Horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Q. What is an activity performed by 40% of all people at a party?

A. Snoop in your medicine cabinet.(GET OUTTA THERE!)

In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.!

In Cleveland, Ohio it is illegal to catch mice without a hunting license.

Ants never sleep.

Every year, kids in North America spend close to half a billion dollars on chewing gum.

The parachute was invented by DiVinci in 1515.

Your right lung takes in more air than your left one does.

There are 86,400 seconds in day.

A goldfish has a memory span of about 3 seconds.

Singapore has only one train station.

The earth is approx. 6,588,000,000,000,000,000 tons.

Canada is an Indian word meaning ''Big Village''.

Common pesticides such as roach, termite, and flea insecticide can be found in the bodies of majority of Americans.

Crayola is a French word that means ''Oily chalk.''

If tapped, a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick could power the country of Australia for 44 minutes.

Reindeer like to eat bananas.

Your nails grow faster in outer space

Australian currency is made of plastic

When you place a seashell over your ear you are hearing the blood in your veins rushing, rather than the ocean.This works with any object of similar shape.

If you keep a goldfish in the dark, it will eventually turn white

On average, people who use their right hand live 9 years longer than people who use their left

12 newborn children will be given to the wrong parents daily

To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in

a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food

moist and help it reheat faster. ;)

Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers,

put layers around the plants overlapping as you go cover with mulch and for-

get about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic they will not

get through wet newspapers.

Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

Place a dryer sheet in your pocket.

It will keep the mosquitoes away.

To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper.

The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel

roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in nar-

row openings.

Reducing Static Cling

Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt

or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose.

Place pin in seam of slacks and ... ta da! ... static is gone.

Measuring Cups

Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water.

Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such

as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

Edited by akaslickster

THANKYOU!!! we're having troubles with ants!!!

and we should try that thing on our dryer, but it hasn't had any troubles yet, but you neven know...

(we use dryer sheets)

Your welcome! These facts are for everyone. Only problem is people never heard of them. :D

EDIT:BTW, I also heard about coarse cinnamin for keeping ants away. Supposedly they can't handle it.

Edited by akaslickster

Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

A slice of white bread works well also. The softer and cheaper the better.

Got a particularly nasty microwave that needs cleaning? Wet down a kitchen towel or large rag with water. You want it "almost dripping" for maximum effect. Place in microwave for 3-5 minutes, or until the steam in the window hides the towel. Turn it off and let it sit a few minutes, then use that towel/rag to easily wipe up the (now sanitized) mess!

fact: A baby's dirty diaper output is a direct function of the amount of diapers left to the distance of the closest available diaper supply at the time. (If your local 24 diaper emporium is across town and you only have 4 diapers left, she will somehow manage to dirty 3 of those in a matter of minutes, forcing you to go out at a very inconvenient time.) :dry:

Slow day...

When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months. -- Urban legend #659 It only appears to do so because your skin contracts after death.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building. -- Urban Legend #1 I've heard that one about every library on the planet.

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down -- hence the expression "to get fired". YOU'RE FIRED... *GULP* -- The first reference to "fired" in the sense of losing one's job dates from the 19th century. It is much more likely a reference to discharging a firearm.

The elephant is the only animal with 4 knees. -- Urban legend #357 Like every other mammal, the elephant has two knees. The knee is the joint connecting the femur, tibia, and patella, and is therefore only found on the hind legs of mammals. What is sometimes called the knee on the forelegs is actually the carpus (wrist). You can't see most ungulates'/canines'/felines' knees because they are up in the haunches, but they are there.

There is a law on the books of Detroit, Michigan that states that "Alligators may not be tied to fire hydrants." ( who's gonna try and stop me?) -- Ha ha! You know they only made that law because somebody actually did that...

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury -- Here is my "skeptical" smiley: O_o

The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% ( now get this...) The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%(okay...) -- Call me a cynic, but... Percentage of Africa that is uninhabitable: probably about 28%. Percentage of North America: probably about 38%.

In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.! -- Complete and utter BS. Acronyms weren't used (in English anyway) until the 20th century. The game of golf has been called "golf" (among other things) for at least 500 years.

Ants never sleep. -- O.O? Name an insect that does...

Your right lung takes in more air than your left one does. -- unless you have dextrocardia... :P

Crayola is a French word that means ''Oily chalk.'' -- I guarantee there is no such word in the French language.

If tapped, a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick could power the country of Australia for 44 minutes. -- Surely you mean 44 centuries.

Australian currency is made of plastic -- Huh. Really? Coins, bills, or both?

When you place a seashell over your ear you are hearing the blood in your veins rushing, rather than the ocean.This works with any object of similar shape. -- What you are hearing is ambient noise transmitted through the shell walls and reflecting off the inner surface. The sound of blood rushing in your ears is much more rhythmic (because of your heartbeat). You would probably have to be in an anechoic chamber to hear it.

Coincidentally, Chidoric may have alot of these from the same email, that is being passed around.

Here are some that he missed:

The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age

Of eleven:

$ 16,400

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour:

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair. IDK

The first novel ever written on a typewriter, Tom Sawyer.

The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died because of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

Coincidentally, Chidoric may have alot of these from the same email, that is being passed around.

Here are some that he missed:

The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age

Of eleven:

$ 16,400

The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour:

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair. IDK

The first novel ever written on a typewriter, Tom Sawyer.

The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died because of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

I got them from different websites, I saw these though!

Ya know that stuff used to blow stuff up, DYNAMITE! it's in your cigarette

Don't use expensive scent products! There is that same stuff in a cigarette. Next time you go for a date, bring a few packs!

I've got two facts and they both make me very sad.......

Yesterday My husband and I went to the NH Job Jair hosted by WMUR News Team.

We went because we are both unemployed due to this "resesion" and we NEED employment.

The responce to the event was so overwhelming, that they closed the event early.

10,000 people walked through the doors. (before they closed them)

55,000 people are on record as unemployed in NH.

Many more have had thier benifits run out and are still unemployed. (they are not counted anymore but they still exist)

People from other states lined up with NH resident at the Mall for the oppertunity to shake a hand, make an impression and pass along a resume.

They waited for busses to shuttle them to the UNH where the event was held.

People with handicap plates only were allowed to park in the UNH parking lot. (I had one)

There were only about 1,500 jobs available (and I know that was exagerated).

Most of the people who responded were not able to get in the building.

Lines longer than you can possibly imagine were streatching and looping though the mall parking lot; all full of people waiting for the bus.

The bus that would take them to the available jobs. the bus that finaly stopped picking people up and only dropped people off.

How sad that must have been. How awfull for the people who arrived at 9:00 am and never got on a bus.

How lucky I was to be there at all. The feeling of being a sardine begging for the chance to be picked, came over me as we were packed in there.

There were 150 different companies and organizations being represented and I brought 20 resume's with me and I struggled to give them away.

I may have passed out 10 because either they were looking for someone with different skills or more education or or more current education.

I did get a call this morning from Met Life so it looks like I'll be selling insurance. LOL (hey! its a respectasble job)(and I'm gratfull for it)

My husband passed out even less as he has a more specific talent, no calls yet.

The sadness is that the world is in the same shape as NH. This is the hardest times that I have seen in my fifty years on this earth.

The youth and the elderly just dont stand a chance of surviving in this environment.

My husband built a Martin house last year. It is beautiful and houses uo to 16 Martins.

We Mounted it nice and high and waited for the Martins to move in. But the Martins never came.

I watched for them to swoop across the lake as they had done the year before last and for as long as I can remember.

But I never saw them all summer long.

I began to suspect Humans to be the reason....

We are so obssessed with our comfort and "safety" that we spray for mosqitos and kill or poision the Martins food source.

But I ask you, are we throwing out the baby with the bath water? (old exp​ression)

Is our comfort worth the loss of a spiecies?

Are we not killing off the Martins allong with the Mosquitos? How long before they are extint?

They swoop in groups over open fields and waters filling up on the flying insects, reducing naturally our ubundance of mosquitos.

Gracefull and beautifull, I love the birds, thats why he built the Martin House... so we could enjoy them up close.

It is spring again and I watch every day for their possible arrival. But I am sad to think they may have all died due to pesticides.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a lung disease caused by microscopic silicon particles that come from volcanoes...not a terribly inventive name when you get down to splitting up the parts of the word. Ultra-microscopic, silicon, volcano...coniosis?

[and it is the only 45 letter word in the English language]

(edit in [])

Edited by No1slight

Longest one-word place name:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ealand_0577.jpg

It's a hill in New Zealand.

There's a song about that. It was used in a "Diet Mountain Dew" radio commercial recently.

The longest place name is Bangkok's full ceremonial name:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Say that fast three times without passing out. I dare ya...

Here's a fact for the books:

Coke used to have actual coke in it... the maker of Coke-a-Cola originally wanted to make a headache remedy so he added coke, which is a painkiller. He later had to remove the coke from the recipe because it became an illegal drug i guess.