BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Which is easier: Pushing a wheelbarrow or pulling it?

2nd brainteaser :P this is fun!

Pulling is easier, pushing creates a force against the ground thus adding to the workload.

25 answers to this question

Which is easier: Pushing a wheelbarrow or pulling it?

2nd brainteaser :P this is fun!

Pulling is easier, pushing creates a force against the ground thus adding to the workload.

I disagree, pulling is more difficult because it is more awkward, and because in pushing you can use the mass of your body more effectively to impart momentum to the load. It is also very inefficient to pull a load up a hill, as the bed will be slanted downward and the load will spill, much better to push going up. Going down you don't have to push or pull, merely guide as gravity takes effect.

Primary physics -> Pulling is easier

on the lighter side....But our bodies are designed in a way to fall forward so its easier to push things rather than pull. if pulling were easier then all donkeys would go out of business :D ...LOL

It's related to friction

If there is no friction on the ground, they are equal.

But in practice, there is always a friction, and as the friction rises, pulling needs less force. Because by pulling you carry a portion of wheelbarrow and leave it with less mass and less friction force. But by pushing you rise its friction force. Result: Pulling is favorite.

it doesn't truly make a difference. if we're talking about absolutes, the same force applied either pushing or pulling will be equal regardless of which side the force is coming from, as long as the angles are equal. there will be friction regardless.

wish i could explain better but it's 4:30am in my time zone.

It's related to friction

If there is no friction on the ground, they are equal.

But in practice, there is always a friction, and as the friction rises, pulling needs less force. Because by pulling you carry a portion of wheelbarrow and leave it with less mass and less friction force. But by pushing you rise its friction force. Result: Pulling is favorite.

More realistically it's related

[1] Deformation of the ground, which often is muddy. In cases where I've done the moving, change "often" to "always."

:(

Pushing a wheelbarrow [with any downward force component] drives the wheel further into the mud, which then requires more force to move it forward. Pulling, [with the vertical force component now upward] helps to extricate the wheel from its muddy depression, letting it ride higher in the mud and allowing it to more with less force.

[2] Deformation of the tire. Even when there is no mud, as on concrete or asphalt, the tire, if it's inflated rubber, deforms slightly under downward force, consuming energy. That fact increases the needed force for pushing over that needed for pulling, where tire deformation is due only to the weight of the load.

Agreed that friction would be an opposite force ...but wouldnt it be in either case(s) ?...I think I have to agree with the answer that our bodies when leaning forward would help us push the wheelbarrow easily compared to pulling...

Agreed that friction would be an opposite force ...but wouldnt it be in either case(s) ?...I think I have to agree with the answer that our bodies when leaning forward would help us push the wheelbarrow easily compared to pulling...

All leanings forward will end with a standing back, which needs extra energy. If you push when you're leaning, your legs need more force. If you apply a force to something, you have to pay for it, nothing is free. In fact, friction forces (or mud) don't help you while pulling, but they need more force while pushing, though these have same results. BTW friction applies due to mass, if you lessen the mass by holding its arms, you can lessen the friction force.

So we are all doing it wrong - don't think so

Why do horses push wagons/carriages rather than pull them

A guy was dismissed and asked the manager why?

"Because of the way your wheel barrow went .. EEEk ...... EEEk ...... EEEk" he replied.

The guy is angry that for being sacked over a squeaking wheel and told the manger so.

"Well it should have been going EEEk-EEEk-EEEk-EEEk" he retorted.

It is a fairly simple physics/ mechanics problem... the design of wheelbarrow unfortunately is a bit awkward for pulling but is designed more for tight movement (single wheel) and easy dumping by lifting over wheel pivot

If handle makes say 30 deg angle then 50lb push force gives about 43lb in forward and 25lb in downward direction so increases weight and friction on wheel. Also have some lost energy due to pivot around wheel axis I'd expect.

In pulling, the 25lb force is upward, reducing weight and friction on wheel.

If you could keep the handles parallel to ground then it wouldn't make much difference if you push or pull beyond ergonomics of the design

Apart from the physics and friction, most carts are pulled for directional control since they will follow like a trailer. Imagine a team of horses or a tractor trying to push a cart around, constantly correcting when it steers awry.

From working too many summers in the sun, hauling cement and dirt around in a wheelbarrow - HONESTLY, pushing is better. From personal experience, when you're pulling it, it exerts an unnecessary force on unused muscles, when, sensibly, simply using a wheelbarrow in the manner intended gets the job done quicker! (Plus, as somebody else said, it's serves the purpose of dumping a lot more.)

But I also agree with the getting somebody else to do it would be easier. Hehehe.

It has to be turned around and pulled to negotiate any significant bumps. Otherwise you have to get a running start and hope you don't bounce out your load.

The tool is designed to push, but it's awkwardness when pulling doesn't make pushing the more efficient option.

But that's just practical experience and a little common sense talking. I'll take others' words on the physics bits.

Edited by Grayven

Ease is a relative term. Therefore, the answer is dependant on a number of factors. Are you on an incline or decline?

How tall is the puller/pusher. What is the surface on which is being pulled. If the question

asked "which requires the least amount of force?" Then we would have the physics explanation, but ease is more difficult to explain.

I disagree, pulling is more difficult because it is more awkward, and because in pushing you can use the mass of your body more effectively to impart momentum to the load. It is also very inefficient to pull a load up a hill, as the bed will be slanted downward and the load will spill, much better to push going up. Going down you don't have to push or pull, merely guide as gravity takes effect.

Ease is a relative term. Therefore, the answer is dependant on a number of factors. Are you on an incline or decline?

How tall is the puller/pusher. What is the surface on which is being pulled. If the question

asked "which requires the least amount of force?" Then we would have the physics explanation, but ease is more difficult to explain.

The OP asked for the 'easiest' way, and based on practical experience and the design of the tool, in most cases pushing is easier. It might require more total force be applied, but it is easier.

Consider mechanical advantage - it you had to lift a heavy weight using a single overhead pulley vs an overhead 3-pulley system (lets not get pedantic about the exact setup), isn't it 'easier' to use the 3-pulleys, despite the fact that more total force is required, due to the small but real inefficiencies in each pulley wheel (friction)?

The OP asked for the 'easiest' way, and based on practical experience and the design of the tool, in most cases pushing is easier. It might require more total force be applied, but it is easier.

Consider mechanical advantage - it you had to lift a heavy weight using a single overhead pulley vs an overhead 3-pulley system (lets not get pedantic about the exact setup), isn't it 'easier' to use the 3-pulleys, despite the fact that more total force is required, due to the small but real inefficiencies in each pulley wheel (friction)?

You are correct, but you are missing my point. Ease is a relative term. What is easy for one is not necessarily

easy for another. It is easy for Shaquille O'Neal to dunk a basketball, I on the other hand, need a ladder.

I agree that force should not be used in this riddle though, thanks for pointing that out.

it seems to me the downward angle of the load lifted above the wheel would add forward momentum. After all, how many people do you actually see pulling wheelbarrows?
;)

When pushing you also have the force of gravity working with you, where as pulling you are working against it.

You are correct, but you are missing my point. Ease is a relative term. What is easy for one is not necessarily

easy for another. It is easy for Shaquille O'Neal to dunk a basketball, I on the other hand, need a ladder.

I agree that force should not be used in this riddle though, thanks for pointing that out.

If ease is a relative term than there can be no correct answer but your own. I think that it is easier to push a wheelbarrow because it IS easier for me to push a wheelbarrow. However, for others, pulling may be the correct answer.

If ease is a relative term than there can be no correct answer but your own. I think that it is easier to push a wheelbarrow because it IS easier for me to push a wheelbarrow. However, for others, pulling may be the correct answer.

I didn't create this puzzle, so I am not trying to prove a faulty theory. I just don't think there

is an answer to it based on how it was stated by the OP. I don't

have any answer at all, so I am not claiming I am right.

i agree that while there is less force to overcome when pulling a wheelbarrow it is more practicle to push.

reasoning: the wheelbarrow was designed to be pushed. one wheel steering is much easier for us to manipulate when in front than having to adjust ourbodies completely when pulling it

the human stride also leans heavily for pushing a wheelbarrow. when trying to move a heavy load we often try to get lower to the ground for both more balance and grip. handles on a wheelbarrow are long enough to take a step forward when pushing but when trying to pull a heavy load one would constantly keep running over thier own heels, being both uncomfortable and impractacle because of constant stoping and restarting

so regardless of the fact of more force required it is easier for humans to focus that force practicaly when pushing

according to physics:

pulling should be easier, because of the friction

however, according to nature:

we are naturally inclined to push rather than pull as it is much less awkward to push

So we are all doing it wrong - don't think so

Why do horses push wagons/carriages rather than pull them

A guy was dismissed and asked the manager why?

"Because of the way your wheel barrow went .. EEEk ...... EEEk ...... EEEk" he replied.

The guy is angry that for being sacked over a squeaking wheel and told the manger so.

"Well it should have been going EEEk-EEEk-EEEk-EEEk" he retorted.

horses pull carriages O.o