BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Slick - I will get around to sending you the plateless recipe (making birdsnest type bowls of sliced fried poatato).. filled with salad and/or small shrimps

I thought I'd start this with a tastey meal, though I woud be keen to hear about quick warm/cold snacks and cheats - My favourite cheat is to cook chicken in chicken tikka soup nice and slow, adding in extra herbs to taste. Another quickie is to microwave thick gammon ham witha ring of pineapple on it after I have set the oven chips to cook in 15 - 20mins Occasionally I do 'real' cooking......

:D .... No good talking about it, lets try some. Here is one of my all time favs, who would have thought aplles raisans and beef would work - I was sceptic before and now I am fully converted

Babotie, serves 4... takes 45/60mins ...

INGREDIENTS

3-400grm lean beef.. minced/ground

Two med Onions (i use red).

Raisans 100-150 grm to cook with rice

Two Crsip apples - diced(i use Granny Smiths)

150ml Creme fresh. (i use Soya Creme Fresh equivalent - Alpro is one brand)

2 t/s mild curry powder. 1 t/s tumeric, salt optional, bay leaves

Rice and Kenyan grn beans (your choice of amount - I love lots).

INSTRUCTIONS

Pre heat oven to 200°C - sorry you have ot convert to F and gas

Boil water add beans, bring to boil for 5mins and drain...

Mix the following: 250ml cold water, creme fresh (I use soya creme fresh equivalent O% chl - Alpro is one brand), curry pwdr, salt (optional), pepper, turmeric ....

Heat oil in medium Large saucepan. Stir in onions. Cook over medium heat until transparent. Add ground/minced beef. Cook until light brown, add the sauce, beans and the diced the apples, stir it for consistancey.....

Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish, and place some bay leaves on top.

Bake for 15-20. .... Meanwhile steam/boil the rice and raisins.... Dare your guests to serve themselves

Great in winter, or cold with a salad in summer..... Chutney is optional to apples, but believe me the apples work, must be crispy - NOT cooking apples.

You may find there are satchetes of spices for Babotie to add to the milk creme fesh

19 answers to this question

One of my favs GC is Vegetable lasagne, made sith bell peppers (paprika/capsicum), also skwered veg oiled and baked in the oven again peppers, avocado, pineapple, mushrooms etc then sprinkled with ...well, any cheese that you prefer -pick your veg, pick your cheese - 10 min perp and 15 min in hot oven - heel lekker

I'll put a fish one on later - lets see if this has any legs on it first

If the fish has legs on it I'm not eating it. Fingers I can cope with. But fish with legs? That's like eating your great-great-...-great-granddad.

One of my favs GC is Vegetable lasagne, made sith bell peppers (paprika/capsicum), also skwered veg oiled and baked in the oven again peppers, avocado, pineapple, mushrooms etc then sprinkled with ...well, any cheese that you prefer -pick your veg, pick your cheese - 10 min perp and 15 min in hot oven - heel lekker

Thanks LIS. I will coax my mom to try it out. :D

Thanks LIS. I will coax my mom to try it out. :D
Well I never had a fish curry - or is that not classed as veggie ? If not, then pass on one of your old family receipes. I love real curry!- I used to be a veggie, but since starting a family it became difficult with fussy children who will lap up anything one day and nothing the next. Btw they 3 out of 4 of my children react to dairy. I was a veggie from 12-22 years old. I wonder

Also Spag bol is hard to resist.

I wonder if my mum was the only one who baked steak in the oven, braised with a delicious sauce/gravey like a casserole without the veg - so so tender (the meat - though I was too probably)

Thanks alot LIS! I was thinking about this recipe thread for a while and did not have the nerve to begin it. I thought no one would be interested. I am a food lover, no doubt. I love Asian food. I will try this when I have time to cook.

I usually like beef to be unsweetened without the sweet fruit yet, who can resist an orange chicken dish or breaded pork, dipped in sweet and sour sauce. My #1 fave are those Chinese style pot stickers and sugar plum sauce or the curry hot sechswan sauce for dunking. YUMM! I hope many others will share and add their favorite recipes to this.

Mine will be an oldie from Bavaria. After I find it. My grandmother was born there and in a newspaper, for a famous hit -the -spot, dumpling soup.

Edited by akaslickster

Well I never had a fish curry - or is that not classed as veggie ? If not, then pass on one of your old family receipes. I love real curry!- I used to be a veggie, but since starting a family it became difficult with fussy children who will lap up anything one day and nothing the next. Btw they 3 out of 4 of my children react to dairy. I was a veggie from 12-22 years old. I wonder

Also Spag bol is hard to resist.

I wonder if my mum was the only one who baked steak in the oven, braised with a delicious sauce/gravey like a casserole without the veg - so so tender (the meat - though I was too probably)

I should ask my mom for a recipe. The only native dishes I can prepare by myself is Idli, Dosa, Roti and other similar food items which are easy to cook or make.

I found the recipe that I spoke of earlier. It goes like this:

BAVARIAN DUMPLING SOUP

20 slices of white bread, (at least a day old and slightly dried)

1 pound of beef liver

1 piece of suet (size of half an egg)

small bunch of parsley, without stems

1/2 of a medium size onion

3 large eggs

salt, pepper and allspice to taste

Cut bread into small cubes

add eggs

Grind liver, suet, onion and parsley together and

add this mixture to the bread and eggs

Mix well.

Season with salt, pepper and allspice

Wet palm of hand and make into balls.

Drop balls into strained, boiling fresh beef broth.

Cook about 35 minutes.

Makes about 12-13 medium size dumplings. ENJOY :D

Love dumplings - it's been a long time, I think I'll modify liver though - perhaps beef with extra stock

That's a lot of bread

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. care to make any more dishes??? I love to cook so i am always intrested in trying new things ^_^
Uhm you first - I have more

funny - this is a male topic by the looks of it.

GC ask you mum to give us some lovely curry receipes

Love dumplings - it's been a long time, I think I'll modify liver though - perhaps beef with extra stock

That's a lot of bread

Many people dislike liver so feel free to grind your favorite. Substitute with chicken or whatever goes with the broth that you are using. ;)

That's a lot of bread

Sure. Have to make her write it down. I am not familiar with cooking any curry, but I am beyond compare in gulping it down. :lol:

BTW atleast in South India we make curries with almost all vegetables and a mixture of some, so what vegetable would you like? :D

Sure. Have to make her write it down. I am not familiar with cooking any curry, but I am beyond compare in gulping it down. :lol:

BTW atleast in South India we make curries with almost all vegetables and a mixture of some, so what vegetable would you like? :D

Why not surprise us - where I am in Holland is very mixed community but I am not sure about available produce - easier in the UK

some suggestions ...

Asparagus

Spinach

Cauliflower

Beans - Kenyan, mangetoo

And some interesting rice dishes

Meat eaters can always add diced chicken/lamb etc. if they want...

I can gulp too :P

This is one AMAZING recipie!!

Apple and Almond Crumble

It makes roughly 6 - 8 servings, but we usually make it then freeze half for another time!

Ingredients -

Lots of apples (around 850g - 900g[it can be any fruit])

25g light brown sugar

3 tsp grnd cinnamon

1/4 tsp grnd cloves

110g whole almonds (optional)

75g butter diced small

175g self raising flour (sifted)

110g demera sugar

Nice served with custard *mmm*

Pre - heat the oven to 200°C

Take the skin off the apples, cut the cores out (obviously) and slice into thickish kind of slices. Toss the slices into a bowl with the light brown sugar, 1 tsp of the grnd cinnamon and the cloves and place to one side in a baking dish.

Place the butter into a bowl (or similar) with the sifted flour and rub together with the tips of your fingers untill it resembles crumbs, then mix in (still with your fingers) the rest of the cinnamon, the sugar and the almonds (the almonds should already be chopped)

Now all that's left is to sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples, right to the edge of the dish, and press it down firmly with the flat of your hands (the more tightly packed, the crispier), and finish it off by running a fork lightly over the mixture.

Bake it in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes, and by that time the apples should be soft, and the topping should be goldern brown and crisp.

Leave to rest for 10 - 15 minutes before serving, and like I already mentioned, it's heaven with home made custard *mmmm*

Delicious!!

I would like it if anyone who tries this recipe would rate it (like, 4 star, 3 star etc.)

That would help me give you better recipes!

B))

Apples and almonds sound great. Where I am, they grow alot of lemons so here you go:

LEMON MERINGUE PIE

STIR mix in the following in medium saucepan:

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

2 egg yolks

Stir in 2 cups water

Stir constantly with wire whisk

Cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil

Cool 5 minutes stirring twice.

Pour into cool 9-inch baked pastry crust

MERINGUE

Beat 3 egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed

until foamy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar beating until stiff peaks form.

Spread over filling sealing to edge of crust.

Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.

Cool at room temperature for at least 4 hours.

Store in refrigerator.

Edited by akaslickster

Here's a REALLY simple sause that my mom makes for artichokes, but i use it on ALL veggies!!

need:

-manayse

-lemon juice

-mustard

there's no specific amount for each to put in. More mustard and more lemon = more tang! (is that to hard to understand?)

i like it, but that may just be me...

I never cease to amaze myself. I love omelets for brunch. Here's what I did:

4 Large eggs

1 shot of water

1/4 cup diced onions

1/2 cube of butter

1/4 lb. ham

slice of cheese (any kind)

garlic powder

Get a large skillet very hot, not too hot. Prepare by beating the eggs and water until well incorporated.

Saute' onions with the butter and add a little garlic powder or fresh garlic to taste.

Once onions are translucent enough, add the egg mixture.

Fry it and do not let it stick.

Prepare a bed of ham and heat it up on a plate.

Add cheese on the top of the omelet until halfway melted.

Serve the omelet over the ham and garnish with parsely if desired. Enjoy. :D