BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A quite simple puzzle for you guys.

There are 2 tall mountains standing between a piranha-infested river.

There are no ways to get acrossed but of a very looooooooong bridge between them.

On one of the mountains, there live a pretty lady.

But you are on the other mountain with an apple tree.

When you are about to step on the bridge,

the lady begs you for treat.

She wants two apple for her to eat.

You noticed the sign on it:

May collapse if you across with more than 1 apple.

There is no definite weight.

Just a person and an apple it can accomodate.

"Get acrossed two apples with you," the lady demands you to.

"No returning, no throwing, just full one way across,"

for you the love has to prove.

So, what will you do?

SPOILERS PLEASE.

Doesn't really help me answer the puzzle though =/

The mountains are standing between the river...which means the river is on the outside of the mountains?

no... the bridge connects the two mountains.

Well, first I would...

to walk across the bridge and get the apples herself.

:P

If that didn't work,

removing a shoe or some other article of clothing equal in weight to an apple so that I can take another apple in its place. The sign said "There is no definite weight," so how would the bridge know the difference?

;)

Well, first I would...

to walk across the bridge and get the apples herself.

:P

If that didn't work,

removing a shoe or some other article of clothing equal in weight to an apple so that I can take another apple in its place. The sign said "There is no definite weight," so how would the bridge know the difference?

;)

both wrong but nice try.

Regarding on the sign: no definite weight... assuming the bridge knows the difference. ^^

Edited by SarahJhane

Assuming the answer is the one suggested by many, I've always been puzzled by it:

to juggle them 'gently' enough. I haven't done the maths, but assuming that the bridge can hold you, one apple and not-quite-another-apple, then you would have to ensure that when throwing one apple upwards, you don't increase your 'weight' by more than an apple's static weight.

My reasoning is that when I throw one up, I increase the reaction force required by the bridge on my feet by an amount equal to the upwards force applied on the apple. I could span this over a nice long period, but then I'd have to throw each ball even higher, so that I had enough time to throw the next one. Anyone fancy doing the maths for me to show that it's (im)possible?

;)

I would ask the lady to cross the bridge with me. We would each carry one apple. At the other side, I would give her my apple and then she would have her two apples. (And I would then have the apple of my eye.)

Edited by Twin Pop

I would break off a branch with 2 apples on it and merely carry the branch. The branch would be carrying the apples. But we don't know just intelligent this bridge is, do we?

Whatever the answer, it all works out to zero. Civil engineers and all that.

Assuming the answer is the one suggested by many, I've always been puzzled by it:

to juggle them 'gently' enough. I haven't done the maths, but assuming that the bridge can hold you, one apple and not-quite-another-apple, then you would have to ensure that when throwing one apple upwards, you don't increase your 'weight' by more than an apple's static weight.

That can't possibly work. The (time averaged) weight of you and two apples will always be the mass of you and two apples x g, no matter how you juggle them.

But that's not what the OP asks. The bridge knows how many apples you are holding, not how much weight it is supporting...

I would ask the lady to come across and collect one apple for herself, then after she returns to the other side, I would walk across with the second apple.

The bridge 'may collapse,' not definitely will collapse, so to 'prove' my love, I would take the risk, hoping that I could hang on to the bridge if it did collapse on just one end and thus not fall into the piranha-infested water.

Personally, I wouldn't really be in love with a woman that made me take the risk of death to prove my love for her. It seems a woman like that doesn't really love me back... :P

Easy; just swim across. Piranhas are not actually deadly to humans, so who cares? At best they would bite you a few times, but never actually consume you. Most piranhas just eat fruits, and the ones that do not, typically consumes the scales and fins of other fist.

Edited by RyanJ

Easy; just swim across. Piranhas are not actually deadly to humans, so who cares? At best they would bite you a few times, but never actually consume you. Most piranhas just eat fruits, and the ones that do not, typically consumes the scales and fins of other fist.

So just throw in a bunch of apples first then swim across with 2.

So just throw in a bunch of apples first then swim across with 2.

ha, that is true. Or, if you could not swim, you could just build a boat out of the tree. Screw nature, what has it ever done for me.

Edited by RyanJ

Okay, so the sign says:

You noticed the sign on it:

May collapse if you across with more than 1 apple.

There is no definite weight.

Just a person and an apple it can accomodate.

I'm assuming this probably means "If you cross" but it may also mean "If you walk across". If the latter is true, then run across with both apples.

OK how about
He should eat one apple, and carry the other one and then give the apple he carried to the lady and regurgitate the other one, or the lady waits for couple of days for the second one.
:lol: That's one bossy lady...
Bossy is better than a psyco bunny by the sound of it :lol: - I'll go and get the apples

or an apple a trip

adding....redundancey or margin for error as it used to be called is + 50%

Or it was in my day

Edited by Lost in space

As the bridge is looooong and each participant is at the top of a mountain with its associated wind noise, it's safe to assume that the "apple conversation" took place over the phone, rather than shouting. This being the case, I would call DHL or Fedex and request a before 9:00 am next day delivery of the two apples to the opposite end of the bridge. I'd then get a good night's rest before awaking the next morning to meet the courier on the other side of the bridge I'd take one apple with me in case of damage occuring in transit, which seems to be quite common in my experience with the aforementioned companies - if nothing else, I could present three apples to the lady in question - thus gaining brownie points. Of course if time was a factor, I'd call a taxi.

Or

The lady wants two apples. I'd carry one over with me. Being the bossy madam she appears to be, she'd nag and complain about how she specifically asked for two apples and how somehow this meant that I wasn't man enough. I'd reply that if she was to be so pedantic, then so would I, by pointing out that she never set a time limit. I'd then open the apple up, plant the seeds on her side of the bridge before saying in the most smarmy voice I could muster, "You'll just have to wait won't you?".

I'd return to my side of the bridge, and quickly destroy it, before "madam" could follow me over to carry on with her incessant nagging :)

OK how about
He should eat one apple, and carry the other one and then give the apple he carried to the lady and regurgitate the other one, or the lady waits for couple of days for the second one.
:lol: That's one bossy lady...

Nice! :lol:

But, um... a couple of days? You need more fiber in your diet...

Yea Sarah, now it's my turn...you know what I'm talking about....even though this is probably wrong....

The sign says it may collapse. There is no guarantee it will collapse. I personally wouldn't take my chances but this guy may well. I would make her gravel some more before I cross. So he could carry two apple across and it may not break. If you carry one apple, then you are guaranteed the bridge won't collapse because it says the bridge can accommodate one person and one apple.

Edited by runder_1111