BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Definitely a bright pink or purple (and not weak pastel pink), ideally in the context of ..black... Noone misses that!

hehe this is quite a cool experiment. one thing (imo) about colours is that a girl can pick any favourite colour and it doesnt matter but say if a boy likes pink people tend to think its weird, which i think is pretty stupid.

I think it's not too bad for boys to like pink these days. I'm wearing a pink shirt to work today. And I'm going out to a black tie dinner tonight wearing a pink and black bow tie.

And just to put it in context, I'm a butch, rugby-playing male and have no concerns about my sexuality being called into question :P

I'd have to say that yellow is just weak. There is no excuse for liking yellow.

Ah, now com'on! Yellow makes me happy! :D I like to wear yellow...especailly when it's dreary outside. And I used to have my bedroom painted yellow (for 30 years!) because I like to wake up to a happy color...it's starts my day out right. Female - Yellow

Edited by puzzlegirl

I like to wear yellow...especailly when it's dreary outside. And I used to have my bedroom painted yellow (for 30 years!) because I like to wake up to a happy color...it's starts my day out right.

Exactly. We paint our walls yellow because it's inoffensive. :)

If we're talking about a nice bright yellow, then I might let you off. A bit. (It's still boring, though :P)

post-9181-1226416513.jpg

Ah, now com'on! Yellow makes me happy! :D I like to wear yellow...especailly when it's dreary outside. And I used to have my bedroom painted yellow (for 30 years!) because I like to wake up to a happy color...it's starts my day out right. Female - Yellow

My favorite is blue, as I mentioned already, but I love yellow, makes ma happy too... Yellow sunflower, yellow roses, yellow evening primrose... My PJ is yellow too with little bunnies on it... :D

Definitely a bright pink or purple (and not weak pastel pink), ideally in the context of ..black... Noone misses that!

I think it's not too bad for boys to like pink these days. I'm wearing a pink shirt to work today. And I'm going out to a black tie dinner tonight wearing a pink and black bow tie.

Ah well that's cool

Yellow's a lovely colour. idk It's just ~there~ and nice.

But it's not as if every possession i ever own has to be yellow. I like all colours really.

For one, just to get this strait, it's colOR... no "u" just "or"

I suggest you want to be very careful about suggesting that. While I wouldn't want to push this topic in a direction that it the OP clearly didn't intend, colour is a perfectly acceptable use and the only spelling, personally, I would ever use (being British). Samuel Johnson's spelling, from the French, was colour in his dictionary, and it was subsequently adopted into American-English as color, along with honor, glamor, and all sorts of -our words.

Anyway, back on topic so I don't get into trouble ;)......I like Lawjyk's idea of colours having feelings, or at least being associated with them. I wonder if it is purely cultural and whether colours have similar associations for all of us. It reminds me of the story that red was adopted for Father Christmas by Coca-Cola (and, yes, I know that is a myth). However, there are still places, I believe, where he is green...

edit: PS strait is not straight. ;) I just had to , didn't I?

Edited by foolonthehill

I suggest you want to be very careful about suggesting that. While I wouldn't want to push this topic in a direction that it the OP clearly didn't intend, colour is a perfectly acceptable use and the only spelling, personally, I would ever use (being British). Samuel Johnson's spelling, from the French, was colour in his dictionary, and it was subsequently adopted into American-English as color, along with honor, glamor, and all sorts of -our words.

Anyway, back on topic so I don't get into trouble ;)......I like Lawjyk's idea of colours having feelings, or at least being associated with them. I wonder if it is purely cultural and whether colours have similar associations for all of us. It reminds me of the story that red was adopted for Father Christmas by Coca-Cola (and, yes, I know that is a myth). However, there are still places, I believe, where he is green...

edit: PS strait is not straight. ;) I just had to , didn't I?

Usually elves are green... o.O

Santa is big, red, and jolly. If he is real or not, no one may never know.... it's kinda like Jesus Christ, or God if you will. Dont know if he is real but the belief is there. God's color is white, usually evil is either red or black, why is Santa red then?

Usually elves are green... o.O

Santa is big, red, and jolly. If he is real or not, no one may never know.... it's kinda like Jesus Christ, or God if you will. Dont know if he is real but the belief is there. God's color is white, usually evil is either red or black, why is Santa red then?

I believe Santa / Father Christmas was often portrayed in green, historically. Though this was when he was much closer to still being St. Nicholas - the saint who put presents in your show at the start of December. IIRC, it was turn of the century American cartoonists/illustrators who fell on red as his colour, though there is a myth that Coca-Cola advertised with a red Santa (their corporate colours) and so popular culture continued to adopt red.

The red association with Christmas I would assume has roots in Jesus' blood, or perhaps also the red and green of holly, or the red breast of the robin - though perhaps the last two are slightly too Europe-centric.

Interesting FOTH, there is aslo Sinterklaas celebrated in Europe 5th of Dec and Polish celebrate the 6th I believe... SC comes on a boat with his helper Zwarte Piet (black Pete/r)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/kEy...key=6LOQJhVKeVI

Anyway - I have pictures of them scaling buildings in Dam Square - and you thought it was one man with a sleigh..... smacks of slavery to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Interesting FOTH, there is aslo Sinterklaas celebrated in Europe 5th of Dec and Polish celebrate the 6th I believe... SC comes on a boat with his helper Zwarte Piet (black Pete/r)

Santa Claus comes from the name Sinterklaas (originally Dutch?) and other variants, all of who originally derived from Saint Nicolas, I believe. Tradition dictates you leave a shoe out when you go to bed and he puts sweet in it for you. I thought it was the night of the 5th Dec - I wonder why it's different in Poland?

I've heard of Black Peter but haven't seen photos before - definitely overtones of slavery in Wikipedia's photo! But then they are Dutch.....;)

edit: yes, I know where you come form LIS...;) only joking.

Edited by foolonthehill