BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Well, since the Festival got resurrected, let's broaden our horizons!

I'll add some honorable mentions:

Anything by Hitchcock

Many Film Noirs specifically with Humphrey Bogart (like the Big Sleep for example)

Fritz Lang's films

Anything by Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicca of the Valley of Wind, etc...)

Anything by Pixar not mentioned

Anything Disney not mentioned (for the most part...)

Lots of Anime (but that's well covered here) -I still included a couple ;)

In the spirit of Waking Life, Linklater's later film A Scanner Darkly is also awesome

17 answers to this question

Hey you could also add foreign movies of Spanish, Mexican, German, Finish, Swedish, British authors oh and separately Korean and Japa... no wait you had Samurai movies... documentaries!!!

Kevin Spacey as John Dou, he is so good in that role that I wanted to smack him myself! :lol:

I-san - You need to create a catagory for all-around badass films. My vote would be for Reservoir Dogs. B)) oh, oh...and The Departed. (those two films would also win the award for use of the most foul language you can cram into a two-hour timespan..and for the most main characters to be killed off at the end.)

Oh..and Black Comedies! My vote is for Fargo!! (Steve Buscemi is killed-off at the end of that one too!) :o

I-san - You need to create a catagory for all-around badass films. My vote would be for Reservoir Dogs. B)) oh, oh...and The Departed. (those two films would also win the award for use of the most foul language you can cram into a two-hour timespan..and for the most main characters to be killed off at the end.)

Oh..and Black Comedies! My vote is for Fargo!! (Steve Buscemi is killed-off at the end of that one too!) :o

Not bad ideas :D Badass films should be a genre after-all

Anyone ever see Ong-Bak: the Thai Warrior? It's probably the most badass movie ever. Fight Club is up there too.

I love Sin City, but I wouldn't call it a Thriller...it's more Action I would say...although it is dark...but Thriller I would say needs to have suspense, and Sin City wasn't really suspenseful...hmmm...

Lol...or going with PG's suggestion it should be put into the "badass" film category...;P

PG you need to see Infernal Affairs set in Hong Kong, The Departed is the Hollywood version of that film, and if you think the departed is good you wanna see this film, it was unreal! As for thrillers, for suspense I'd say The Lives of Others, it's brilliant!

Oh my gosh, I luv Fight Club! Was very :wacko: at the beginning, but the ending was fantastic, although a bit weird.

The Departed was also a really good movie, but haven't watched Infernal Affairs...is it a Chinese movie, or English? 'Cause I really don't want to watch a movie that I don't understand... :P

Oh, oh, oh and you should have sports drama ("Million Dollar Baby, Rocky...) category or something and just pure drama... ("Boys don't Cry", "A Few Good Men" I hate Tom Cruise but his performance was endurable, hey or courtroom drama!!)

Oh and there are enough movies made about superheroes!! Not all of them are good, well most of them are kinda yuck... <_<

"Pulp Fiction"! Love that film... "Fargo" I could never get bored watching that.

"Monsters Inc.", "Little Mermaid" my two personal favorites!! :D

So categories could be sports drama, courtroom drama (OH there's that John Cusack jury movie what's his name, love that film) and just drama...

"21 grams"... I love Alejandro González Iñárritu!!

"I Am a Legend" is more of a SF drama than action...

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" as drama...

:huh: Can't think of anything else right now!

:)

EDIT: That John Cusack movie is "Runaway Jury".

"Erin Brockovich" kinda sucked! I'm not crazy about Julia! :rolleyes:

Edited by andromeda

Oh, oh, oh and you should have sports drama ("Million Dollar Baby, Rocky...) category or something and just pure drama... ("Boys don't Cry", "A Few Good Men" I hate Tom Cruise but his performance was endurable, hey or courtroom drama!!)

Oh and there are enough movies made about superheroes!! Not all of them are good, well most of them are kinda yuck... <_<

"Pulp Fiction"! Love that film... "Fargo" I could never get bored watching that.

"Monsters Inc.", "Little Mermaid" my two personal favorites!! :D

So categories could be sports drama, courtroom drama (OH there's that John Cusack jury movie what's his name, love that film) and just drama...

"21 grams"... I love Alejandro González Iñárritu!!

"I Am a Legend" is more of a SF drama than action...

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" as drama...

:huh: Can't think of anything else right now!

EDIT: That John Cusack movie is "Runaway Jury".

"Erin Brockovich" kinda sucked! I'm not crazy about Julia! :rolleyes:

I have come to one conclusion from reading this series of threds

I need to watch more films

OK I-san I got it how about:

(In one thread)

1. Sports drama

2. Courtroom drama

3. Political drama (there are good ones)

4. and the rest of the dramas that don't fall under the previous three categories!

I just remembered as courtroom drama - "Midnight at Garden of Good and Evil" John Cusack and Kevin Spacey - it doesn't get any better than that... unless, you have Ed Norton playing the altar boy in "Primal Fear" perfect!!!

Uh... I forgot "Time to Kill" and "Philadelphia" as courtroom dramas!! :D

Uh, uh... "A Cry in the Dark" when dingo ate Merill Steeps baby!!! Courtroom!

Edited by andromeda

OK I-san I got it how about:

(In one thread)

1. Sports drama

2. Courtroom drama

3. Political drama (there are good ones)

4. and the rest of the dramas that don't fall under the previous three categories!

I just remembered as courtroom drama - "Midnight at Garden of Good and Evil" John Cusack and Kevin Spacey - it doesn't get any better than that... unless, you have Ed Norton playing the altar boy in "Primal Fear" perfect!!!

Uh... I forgot "Time to Kill" and "Philadelphia" as courtroom dramas!! :D

Uh, uh... "A Cry in the Dark" when dingo ate Merill Steeps baby!!! Courtroom!

Yeah, I think Primal Fear would be my favorite courtroom drama. The original Manchurian Candidate is my favorite Political drama, and sports...hmm. I'd say The Natural probably.

And yeah Y-San, come to think of it, I don't know what I would call Sin City. Total Mayhem maybe? B))

Cars is the best animated movie hands-down...and Incredibles is a close second (and trust me, I've seen them ALL...DOZENS OF TIMES!) :wacko:
The bestest yet - It would make a great Mafia - can't decide on the GR/lone wolf role

Still with NO WAY OUT for thriller

and you left out The Good Bad and the Ugly - fist full of Dollars a few dollars more - hah spagghetti? Clint Eastwood .. Frankie laine sang to High Noon great song great film, FL sang Rawhide too - great series in its day.. Move em up get em out.. Rollin, rollin, rollin,

Just reminded me of some the old western series Bonanzer, Mung fu, Medicine woman, How the west was won, destry, The High Chaparel

whoops checked wkiki - 142 pages - guess some did not make it to UK

Forgot to say Red Sun at/near the top for western Charles Bronson/ Toshiro Mifune

Edited by Lost in space

Yeah, I think Primal Fear would be my favorite courtroom drama. The original Manchurian Candidate is my favorite Political drama, and sports...hmm. I'd say The Natural probably.

And yeah Y-San, come to think of it, I don't know what I would call Sin City. Total Mayhem maybe? B))

"Sin City" is easy - inspired by a comic book! :D

I mentioned earlier superheroes, well they could all be in that category and "Sin City" wins by a land slide!

and you left out The Good Bad and the Ugly - fist full of Dollars a few dollars more - hah spagghetti? Clint Eastwood ..

Well I put Unforgiven in for Eastwood. He could take the whole 10 (High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josie Whales, etc...) so I just try to give each icon a mention. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is indeed amazing though. It would be in my personal Top 10 of anything, but there's a long part in the middle that makes no sense and is just plain stupid IMO. -the part where Eastwood is captured. If they just cut that out, it would be perfect. And it has probably the best shootout! A Three-way with the coolest western soundtrack ever ;)

I gotta see No Way Out, I guess. I never really heard much about it except from you and Family Guy making fun of it :P