BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Redrum University was hosting its annual Fall Ball in the Great Ballroom of the Grand Iose Hotel. Y-san, who was not really a fan of dances (not counting DDR ;P), had decided to attend that year because she heard the catering that year would be done by a four-star chef and her gourmand side had overpowered her cynical-about-dressing-up-and-prancing-around side.

As Y-san stood at the buffet table, stuffing her 21st (or was it 22nd? She had lost count) meatball into her mouth when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and almost choked at who she saw standing there. The handsome face was familiar...too familiar. It was Patrick "Trick" Moriarty.

Y-san swallowed hard and then asked in a skeptical tone, "What are you doing here? Aren't the authorities still looking for you for that last murder you committed?"

"Oh, they probably are, but it doesn't matter...they'll never catch me. And I just had to see you again. Last time we met, I felt such a strange attraction to you." Trick gave her an artful grin and winked at her. "But enough about me, what about you? How have you been all these months since I've last seen you? Where's your date?"

Y-san shrugged. "No date...some guys asked me but none of them could solve the puzzle I gave them in reply, so I rejected them. And to be honest, it's been kind of boring lately...haven't found a dead body in quite a while..."

A piercing scream interrupted her sentence. The music stopped and a man ran down the gilded grand staircase in a frenzy.

Y-san sighed and muttered, "Nevermind..."

The body belonged to the pop star known as Misa Misa to her fans. She liked to dress in gothic styles and there were rumors that she was involved with the criminal organization known as IETNAT. But there was no real evidence to corroborate any connection.

Misa's body had been found in the foyer of the President's Suite, next to the door. Her keychain was attached to a band that was looped around her belt and was found lying on the floor. The door had been locked from the inside and the window was locked and bolted. It was an old building, so the metal key and keyhole were relatively large and round, and there was no way to lock the door without the key in the lock. The only other key to the room was with the hotel manager, and no one could have got to it.

The cause of death was a single gunshot to the head, in the left temple. The gun had been found lying next to her left hand.

Police Chief Leroy shook his head vigorously. "I can't believe it. These stars and their mood swings. One second they're on top of the world, the next they're suicidal. And I had just bought her latest album..." Looking up to see the bemused look on Y-san's face, he quickly added "...for my daughter, that is, she's a fan, a huge fan."

"That is not true." Y-san stated plainly.

The Police Chief's face reddened and he stammered, "Uh, what do you mean, of course it's true! It's not like I would be interested in these pop stars or anything..."

Y-san shook her head, suppressing a grin. "That's not what I meant. I meant that it's not a suicide. It was murder."

At these words, the Police Chief ceased his bustling and frowned. "But it was a locked room. The door was locked from the inside and the key was attached to the victim..."

This time Y-san did smile, and the Police Chief sighed in defeat. "Okay, okay...how did he do it?"

Trick also mentioned attraction - was he using the powerful neodymium magnet to lock the door from the outside and because the key was on the stretchy band, and after he was done he just pushed the key through the key hole...

Was Trick the one who killed her at all??

Very very close...but remember, it explicitly states that the door was locked from the inside...and keys can't go through keyholes ;P

It's an on/off difference...;)

Edited by Yoruichi-san

The killer shot her then removed her key. He then put the key into the keyhole, left the room and closed the door.

I would have said that he used a magnet to turn the key from the outside but based on the hints and the fact that the key hole was unusually large I'll say that he:

Could have used an ordinary set of pliers (or maybe magnetized pliers) to grab the key and turn it from the outside… <_<

Edited by Gambit

Hi,

Sorry if this isnt the format for putting thought into words, but this is my first post.

1. Y San never stated that they knew how the murder was carried out, only that they new it was a murder, so it could be something as simple as the bullet wound would have been impossible to self inflict or looked as though it was carried out at a distance.

2. Only the policeman has referd to the murderer as a "he".

3. Could the bullet have been fired through the keyhole?

The killer shot her then removed her key. He then put the key into the keyhole, left the room and closed the door.

I would have said that he used a magnet to turn the key from the outside but based on the hints and the fact that the key hole was unusually large I'll say that he:

Could have used an ordinary set of pliers (or maybe magnetized pliers) to grab the key and turn it from the outside… <_<

Ah...the he was not in the keyhole...and the magnet part was right...just not the kind of magnet...you wouldn't want to be walking around a ball with a powerful magnet in your pocket...;P

Hi,

Sorry if this isnt the format for putting thought into words, but this is my first post.

1. Y San never stated that they knew how the murder was carried out, only that they new it was a murder, so it could be something as simple as the bullet wound would have been impossible to self inflict or looked as though it was carried out at a distance.

2. Only the policeman has referd to the murderer as a "he".

3. Could the bullet have been fired through the keyhole?

4. How did the policeman establish that the door was locked from the inside?

3. The gun couldnt have been fired through the keyhole because the gun was found in the hands of the victim.