BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello,

I assumed this problem would be on here, but I was unable to find it when doing a search - so forgive me if you have seen this one before:

Final disclaimer - the person who posed this puzzle to me is unavailable for three days, so I will not actually know the answer until Monday (and it may be an answer I am unhappy with, so I take no responsibility in that case):

The puzzle:

In the next room is a chest. If the sign on the chest is true, then the chest contains gold coins. If it is false, then it contains anything else (meaning anything but). When you go into the room, the sign on the chest reads "this chest does not contain gold coins". What is in the chest?

23 answers to this question

Hello,

I assumed this problem would be on here, but I was unable to find it when doing a search - so forgive me if you have seen this one before:

Final disclaimer - the person who posed this puzzle to me is unavailable for three days, so I will not actually know the answer until Monday (and it may be an answer I am unhappy with, so I take no responsibility in that case):

The puzzle:

In the next room is a chest. If the sign on the chest is true, then the chest contains gold coins. If it is false, then it contains anything else (meaning anything but). When you go into the room, the sign on the chest reads "this chest does not contain gold coins". What is in the chest?

one gold coin and the rest is PB caremel cookie dough (btw - that is the BEST ice cream ever other than PBI)

I dont think there's an answer.

Unless there's some trick such as:

1. there's more than one chest

2. there's more than one sign

3. there is a guy named "anything else"

etc.

then I agree.

3. doesn't work because he gave the meaning - good try!!! (if only bobkerolls hadn't put that....)

This is tricky one for me, and probably a bad introduction to this forum (this being my first post), since I am actually unaware of the answer. I'm concerned that the answer, when I do receive it, will be unsatisfying - we shall see on Monday.

Sorry everyone, that I cannot give any hints...

This looks like another variation on "undecidable proposition" paradoxes. Like classic Richard’s paradox, on which famous Godel's Incompleteness Theorem was based.

A short version of undecidable proposition that I like: "THIS SENTENCE IS FALSE".

Another classical variation Crocodile and baby had been posted already. I have seen that "crocodile" version being attributed in the literature to Lewis Carroll, the author of “Alice in Wonderland”.

Eugh, paradox.

It neither true nor false. Just contradictory. Which leads to headaches. :P

While "this chest does not contain any gold" can be a true statement, if it were true, the chest would not have any gold. But, it can't be true and not have any gold, because if it were true than it would have gold! So let's assume the statement is false, because it can't be true. If the statement is false, then the chest does contain gold. However, according to the rules, if it is false, then it won't have gold. Never ending circle.

Does it matter, though? There's an unopened treasure chest in front of you! Open it!

Ok, everyone, the person who posed this riddle to me has returned.

The correct answer, as was surmised by Prime, is that "there is no answer". I was afraid that was the case, but hoped there was something in the wording that I missed that would give this puzzle a "real" answer.

Next time, I will make sure I know the answer before I post, but thank you to everyone for your help on this....

OK before I read the answer, my first thought

The chest isn't filled with actual gold coins but coin shaped chocolate wrapped in a golden foil

:)

And now to check the answer...

So... there is no answer <_< but I still think that mine kinda works! Still better than an empty chest! :D

Oh my god! I have an actual answer! Like, it fits, and makes senses, and all that stuff. The /real/ answer, other than "there is no answer". :)

is empty. The statement isn't true - so the chest can't contain coins. The statement isn't false, so it can't contain anything besides coins, and anything is anything. Which leaves nothing. Empty chest. Woo.

:D

Oh my god! I have an actual answer! Like, it fits, and makes senses, and all that stuff. The /real/ answer, other than "there is no answer". :)

is empty. The statement isn't true - so the chest can't contain coins. The statement isn't false, so it can't contain anything besides coins, and anything is anything. Which leaves nothing. Empty chest. Woo.

:D

I disagree. Reread the OP:

"If the sign on the chest is true, then the chest contains gold coins. If it is false, then it contains anything else (meaning anything but). When you go into the room, the sign on the chest reads "this chest does not contain gold coins". What is in the chest?"

Suppose the chest contains nothing. The sign on the chest says "this chest does not contain gold coins." Since it contains nothing, then the statement is true. But if the sign is true, then the chest contains gold coins. This is a contradiction, and the crux of the problem.