BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Roles: the role of a player determines their win condition. Each player is randomly assigned a role, which is to be kept secret until a player dies. When a player dies, their role is revealed. The exception is the Sheriff, whose role is revealed at the beginning of the game.

1 Sheriff

2 Deputies

3 Outlaws

1 Renegade

The Sheriff and the Deputies are trying to kill the Outlaws and the Renegade.

The Outlaws are trying to kill the Sheriff.

The Renegade is trying to get in a one-on-one duel with the Sheriff (everyone else must be dead) and then kill the Sheriff.

Characters: Each character has a special ability. Each player is randomly assigned a number from 1-7. They will then pick their character in that order, 1 being first and 7 being last.

S. Lafayette - when she has no cards in her hand she draws one from the deck.

C. Janet - she can use Shoot and Miss cards interchangeably.

B. Cassidy - when he loses a life point, he draws a card from the deck.

W. Kid - he can play any number of Shoot cards on his turn.

S. Killer - a player needs to play two Missed cards to cancel out his Shoot card.

V. Sam - when a player dies, all their cards go into Sam's hand.

R. Doolan - sees all other players at a distance decreased by one.

S. Ketchum - at any time, may discard 2 cards from his hand to regain one life point.

Gameplay:

On a player's turn they draw two cards. Then they play any number of cards they can or want to, but only one Shoot card per turn, unless they have a volcanic or are W. Kid. At the end of their turn, they must discard the cards in their hand down to their current life points.

Each player starts out with 4 life points, except the Sheriff, who starts out with 5. Each player is dealt 4 cards at the beginning, except the Sheriff, who is dealt 5. The Sheriff gets the first turn, and then it goes down the list sequentially.

If a player kills an Outlaw, they draw 3 cards from the deck. If the Sheriff kills one of his Deputies, then he loses all his cards, in his hand and in front of him.

Distance: the distance a player is from another player is how many numbers away they are. For example, player 2 is a distance 1 away from player 3 and a distance 3 away from player 5. The list wraps around, so player 2 is a distance 2 away from player 7. The Horse cards and R. Doolan's special ability change the distances. Once a player dies, they no longer take up space, so that the distances are shifted (i.e. if player 3 dies, then player 2 is now a distance 1 from player 4).

The Cards:

Permanents: Once a player plays one of these cards, it stays in front of them (in play for them) until the player dies, or the card is removed by Destroy or Steal. A player may only have 1 of any kind of permanent in play at a time (i.e. only one gun, or one horse).

Guns - (volcanic, 2, 3, 4) A player may only play a Shoot card on a player a distance 1 from them unless they play a gun that has greater range. The volcanic is a special gun that has a range of 1, but allows the user to play as many Shoot cards as they want a turn.

Horses - (-1, +1) A -1 Horse allows a player to see others at a distance decreased by 1 (does not affect the distance other players see them). A +1 Horse makes it so that a player is seen at a distance increased by 1 by the other players (does not affect the distance the player sees the others).

Prison - A player may play the Prison card on another player, except the Sheriff, which makes the other player not be able to play on their next turn. The imprisoned player must still discard down to their life points. Then, the Prison card then gets discarded.

Non-permanents: Played on a player's turn and discarded.

Shoot cards - if a Shoot card is played on a player, they lose a Missed card or lose a life point.

Gatling - effectively plays a Shoot on every player (except the one who played it). Every player must loses a Missed card or a life point.

Duel - a player may play a Duel card on any other player. The other player must then play a Shoot card or lose a life point. If the second player plays a Shoot card, then the first player must play a Shoot card or lose a life point. This goes back and forth until one player does not play a Shoot card and loses a life point.

Beer - a player regains a life point by playing a beer. Cannot exceed the number of life points the player had at the start of the game. If a player loses their last life point off their turn, they may use an "emergency" Beer card. Once the game comes down to 2 players, Beers may no longer be played.

Saloon - when played, every player gains a life point. Cannot exceed starting number of life points.

Stagecoach - When played, allows player to draw 2 cards from deck.

Wells Fargo - When played, allows player to draw 3 cards from deck.

Steal - When played, allows player to steal a card (permanent or non-permanent) from a player they see at a distance of 1.

Destroy - When played, allows player to destroy a card from a player at any distance.

***Missed Cards - To facilitate gameplay, Missed cards can be "floating". On a player's turn, they may play any number of Missed cards as "floating", but the "floating" cards count in the number of cards they have in their hand at the end of their turn. Every time the player is shot at, they lose a "floating" Miss card. If they no longer have any "floating" Miss cards and are shot at, they lose a life point.

To facilitate gameplay, the game will be played "open-faced". I will "shuffle" the cards and list them in order from the top to the bottom of the deck at the beginning of the game. When the deck gets low, I will "re-shuffle" and post the new list. At the beginning of their turn, a player must draw the cards from the top of the deck (i.e. list), and post the cards they draw. During a player's turn, they should describe every action they take. If they play a Duel, then they will need to wait for the response of the player they are dueling. If a player is attacked for their last life point and they have a Beer in their hands, it is assumed they will use their emergency Beer. If a player is killed, they or I (whoever gets there first) must post their role before the game can continue, so that the appropriate action may take place. At the end of a player's turn, they must post the cards they discarded and re-post the roster and the deck with the appropriate changes. The roster should be:

#) Player's name/Character - [current life points/starting number of life points]/(permanent cards in front of them)/(number of floating Misses)/(cards in hand)

Example:

(Begin turn - cards in hand were Horse -1, volcanic, Shoot, Shoot)

Draw: Steal, Miss

Play: Float 1 Miss, put into play Horse -1 and volcanic, play 1 Shoot card at BigBang, who loses 1 Floating Miss.

(End turn)

Discard: none

5) BigBang/W. Kid - [4/4]/(Jail, Gun +2)/(0)/(Shoot, Shoot, Beer)

6) Y-san/S. Lafayette - [4/4]/(Horse -1, volcanic)/(1)/(Shoot, Steal)

Deck:

Miss, Steal, Shoot, Stagecoach...

Sign-up:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Whaat? No Elena Fuente? Sign me up anyway. :P

Sign-up:

1) Kat

2) JS

3) Ben_Law

4) Prof. T

5) Sinistral

6)

7)

Lol...no, no expansion characters, just some originals...if this goes well, I may add some expansion characters in the next one...(and you'll notice I left out the perma-jail character as well...;))

Btw...the expansion characters are way too good...they are strictly better than the originals...

Oh, once we decided to play double characters...that was so good...Suzy Lafayette/Willy the Kid...lmao...and my friend who was Vulture Sam/Sean Mallory...she couldn't hold all of her cards...:lol:

Lol...no, no expansion characters, just some originals...if this goes well, I may add some expansion characters in the next one...(and you'll notice I left out the perma-jail character as well...;))

Btw...the expansion characters are way too good...they are strictly better than the originals...

Oh, once we decided to play double characters...that was so good...Suzy Lafayette/Willy the Kid...lmao...and my friend who was Vulture Sam/Sean Mallory...she couldn't hold all of her cards...:lol:

Reading your rules. Not sure how much time I need to spend on this. If available I would love to join. :P

I would be very interested in playing, but I am really busy right now, so I don't know that I would be available. This should be a lot more fast paced than Mafia or some derivative, so I might be able to participate...what I'm saying is that I'm on the fence...writing while thinking :unsure: ...so I think that if you desperately need someone else, let me know, but I don't expect that you'll have that difficulty. :o

Permission to appoint the song "I shot the sheriff" by Bob Marly as the theme song for this?

Lol...well, I was thinking of a headBANGer...jk :P

Anyways, Mekal has chosen S. Killer. Oh, and you don't have to PM me your choice...just put it by your name when it's your turn...which is actually better.

1) Mekal - S. Killer

2) Ben Law

3) Kat

4) Prof. Templeton

5) Alyanna

6) Joe's Student

7) Sinistral