BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I've known this for a while, but I just never really thought about it.

Anytime a thread is started on a subject that has already been covered. Or a riddle already posted. A mod comes by (actually, I've only seen Martini do this) And locks the thread.

I was just wondering how they knew that it was a riddle already posted. Also, Martini usually responds to a post in a thread if it is something that might need taking care of. So, does this mean that there is always a mod reading every thread? And that they read every post in every thread?

That just seems like kind of a heavy job to do. Especially considering Brainden's sudden popularity.

Also, just going to use a thread started someone recently as an example.

Someone posted something about the chicken and the egg on here, recently. And it was locked, because a long time ago (maybe a year?) I posted a thread about the same thing. So did Martini memorise this? Or was there some way for him to figure out that there was already a thread on the subject?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the "comments and suggestions" thread, but this is more of a quesion, I suppose...

Well, thanks for any answer I happen to recieve.

-Ploper

8 answers to this question

Anytime a thread is started on a subject that has already been covered. Or a riddle already posted. A mod comes by (actually, I've only seen Martini do this) And locks the thread.

I was just wondering how they knew that it was a riddle already posted. Also, Martini usually responds to a post in a thread if it is something that might need taking care of. So, does this mean that there is always a mod reading every thread? And that they read every post in every thread?

That just seems like kind of a heavy job to do. Especially considering Brainden's sudden popularity.

Someone posted something about the chicken and the egg on here, recently. And it was locked, because a long time ago (maybe a year?) I posted a thread about the same thing. So did Martini memorise this? Or was there some way for him to figure out that there was already a thread on the subject?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the "comments and suggestions" thread, but this is more of a quesion, I suppose...

-Ploper

People can also Report duplicates etc. and say a reason why, then the admin can see a big list!

because it's neither a comment, nor a suggestion ;)
I would have clicked on a moderators name or report button and asked outside of others but, too late now. :D

There is a search method that all need to use , if unsure about repeated material. READ IMPORTANT before posting.

Edited by akaslickster

because it's neither a comment, nor a suggestion ;)

that's funny Ploper. Anyway, to answer your question: there is a Search engine in the top-right of your screen. type in chicken +egg and you'll see what threads were made with those words. You can be very specific and add as many words as you want.

I wouldn't put it past Martini to have memorized it all though ;) and in fairness, rookie and bonanova have locked many threads on this site.

my input in red below (probably the same applies for Martini and bonanova)

I was just wondering how they knew that it was a riddle already posted.

I remember the old riddles/topics and most of the new ones as well.

Also, Martini usually responds to a post in a thread if it is something that might need taking care of. So, does this mean that there is always a mod reading every thread? And that they read every post in every thread?

I read each and every first post and I skim through all other posts. BTW, there is about 20 new topics each day and more than 400 new posts every day.

You bet it is a lot of work - and going through the posts is not the only thing. And both moderators deserve a huge THANKS for that.

Someone posted something about the chicken and the egg on here, recently. And it was locked, because a long time ago (maybe a year?) I posted a thread about the same thing.

I closed it.

So did Martini memorise this? Or was there some way for him to figure out that there was already a thread on the subject?

I remember the old topics and I am sure Martini remembers them as well. It's not that difficult at all - if you spend several hours each day doing something you like, it simply becomes a part of you.

off to "Comments and Suggestions"

You are welcome.

-Ploper