BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

What dus the poor man have

Question

I say it would be hope.

The poor have hope that their lives will change to a better life.

The rich need to know their hope so they' might realize that there are people that are poor and starving.

The dead soul are watching over their families and provide hope for the poor or to change the rich.

On 1/30/2008 at 10:52 AM, Guest said:

I have also heard this one a different way:

What is greater than God,

More evil than the Devil,

The poor have it,

The rich don't want it,

And if you eat it you will die.

The answer, of course, is nothing. This was fairly obvious to me, since I have knowledge of Christianity, and it fits with the poor/rich/eat it portion of the riddle. HOWEVER, the issue with this riddle is that the answer is only correct if you believe that 'God' is the greatest thing in the world. To an atheist, the correct answer to the riddle would actually be wrong, because said atheist doesn't believe that God is greatest, or that the devil is the most evil. (I'm an atheist, and so even though I know the "right" answer, I still view it as wrong, because the greatest thing to me is not a god.)

Could be Humble Pie. As for the claimed answer, how could the answer "obviously" be nothing? This would be a stupid riddle then. I do not believe that could be the answer. Unless it was just a senseless, stupid question in the first place. Riddles are supposed to be more interesting.

Edited by Sound Analyzer

what does the poor man have, the rich man need, and the dead do

what does the dead do,  not something that the dead does have. the poor man has it, the rich man needs it, and then what do the dead do? the dead sleep, they do nothing. but the rich man does not need nothing, and the poor man does not have nothing. if you look at it in a certain way, then nothing would be the correct answer, but technically? it's wrong. so, maybe it's supposed to be "nothing", but it's not really correct. hey, maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my opinion. proving people wrong is what I do!