BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Math Camp is a place were you can find out how smart you really are. You will be put into two teams and each day there will be a new problem. Here are the rules

1. Only time to pm is before a challenge.

2. No dicussing answer till every one has pmed me their answer.

3. The first team to pm all correct answers will

More rules will be posted later sing up now.

10 players min 20 players max

• Answers 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

f you are not playing don not post usally i would let it slide but it is unreality

oh noez I have been kicked from math camp! (which I was never part of in the first place :P)

seriously sagekid (and this isn't just me, a lot of people have PMed me saying this) this whole thing feels like a 'revenge' against Mafia, and me in particular (even though you quit in the first place lol, none of us wanted you to). Anyway, this has nothing to do with your actual idea, but it just seems like you're trying to 'get back' at your fall from Mafia by making a mafia-esque tournament.

When you 'banned' me from talking in this topic just like you were asked to stop posting in Mafia III after you quit, the similarities were just too striking and I had to say something :P

there's no need to delete this post, and I'm not trying to start an argument- and I think a 'math camp' could be a good idea if it's done correctly- but I was just making an observation ;D

carry on

~ unreality

How about a crazy and classic algebra problem to warm up:

ax^2+bx+c=0

Please solve for x so that it looks like:

x={insert equation without x here}

Please use spoilers. If you already know how to do this then don't spoil the fun. Let others figure it out for themselves.

Clarification: x^2 = x raised to the second = x*x

How about a crazy and classic algebra problem to warm up:

ax^2+bx+c=0

Please solve for x so that it looks like:

x={insert equation without x here}

Please use spoilers. If you already know how to do this then don't spoil the fun. Let others figure it out for themselves.

Clarification: x^2 = x raised to the second = x*x

Well....as we don't have values for a, b, and c, which should be included for this quadratic equation, this is the quadratic formula, which is the simplest that can be used for the value of x in this case:

x = -b(+ or -)squrt(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

If anybody has questions or comments on this, put it in a spoiler. ;)

nice :D , have you derived it before?

I first derived it when I first did algebra at home in 5th or 6th grade. And then I've been using it at least once a week since :)

I am actually starting to think that it might be difficult to come up with questions for the Math camp that eliminate factors like knowledge and experience.

Cheers!

--

Vig

nice :D , have you derived it before?

Yup. :) Also because, the problem was a quadratic equation, therefore, you needed to use the quadratic formula, if we had values, we could find what x would equal, but in quadratic problems, x is always equal to either of two numbers. ;):)

Ok, another:

How can you make 48 cents using 3 coins.

Involves some outside the box thinking (and help from friends). As always, use spoilers.

Clarifications: The money you have is American (1c 5c 10c 25c 50c), you cannot cut or break the coins in any way or use outside currency or objects besides the 3 coins.

Good luck :P

Edited by pw0nzd

a 50c coin, then give away two pennies to the person... or two quarters and give away one of those old 2c pennies... or... or... I dunno
:P

your on the right track... I gave a hint in the original post

Our team has already elected SM as our leader, as for the other team... :huh:

If it went that way, you would be losing 48c. You pretty much got it though, its the other way around.

Edited by pw0nzd

A maths question ;)

Can someone derive the equation for http://brainden.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3715

A fruit seller has some number of apples and needs to divide them into equal groups.

He divides them in groups of 2, but finds he has 1 left over.

Then he divides in groups of 3, but has 2 left over.

Then he divides in groups of 4, but has 3 left over.

And so on, until he gets to dividing in groups of 17,

and the apples fit perfectly.

What is the minimum number of apples he has?

Ok It is taking a while so if they dont get me the the leader within 12 hours it will be Ben Law who is the leader. So far it is SM and Ben law for the leaders unless they get their leader into me by 12 hours.

Edit then it will be Sm and whomever they pick

Edited by sagekid

Ok Ben Law is the leader for the other team ok SM and Ben what time do you want your question to be sent. Please post your time soon go by the time on this site it is on the bottom

Ok Ben Law is the leader for the other team ok SM and Ben what time do you want your question to be sent. Please post your time soon go by the time on this site it is on the bottom

The time at the bottom is showing my local time :P

Since PST is now -7 Hours GMT and my time (IST) is +5:30 GMT

I think the suitable time would be

Between 10:00 AM - 12 NOON IST (My Time) or

9:30 PM - 11:30 PM PST (Pacific Time) ... but this time is flexible :rolleyes: just let me know about it

Edited by Ben Law