BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

i may seam a litle ignorant but how do u atheist want to be your final resting place? i went to a funeral recently and it was all about religion wat do u want to happen to u?

12 answers to this question

Don't really care. I believe funerals mean more for the loved than for the dead. If I have any theist loved ones, they can decide what they want to do. If it is truly my call, I will most likely have my body incinerated so my ashes can be retained in a convenient form for my loved ones to remember me by. I would consider my burial a waste of real estate and I'll pick a small waste of electricity over using up real estate.

However, all this is after my body gets harvested thoroughly for organs :)

Cheers!

--

Vig

Personally I feel the opposite way. I'd rather be buried as this to me feels more like a natural way of recycling yourself (though a biodegradable coffin would be a must). Oddly I am a bit squeamish about having my organs taken (silly really but I've grown attached to them). I admit that this is all empty sentimentality. All that truly matters is the wishes of your loved ones, and social responsibility.

That's a bit of a vague answer, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Vig, I feel the same way even as an outspoken Christian. Since I believe that my spirit will live on you could throw my dead corpse in the trash for all I care. But if the people who grieve me need something to help bring them closure, then I would prefer to be cremated and have my ashes spread somewhere. I just hate the idea of sticking a body in a fancy box in the ground just to become worm food. Yuk!

Personally I feel the opposite way. I'd rather be buried as this to me feels more like a natural way of recycling yourself (though a biodegradable coffin would be a must). Oddly I am a bit squeamish about having my organs taken (silly really but I've grown attached to them). I admit that this is all empty sentimentality. All that truly matters is the wishes of your loved ones, and social responsibility.

That's a bit of a vague answer, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Well, if they'll bury me and then use that land (and the nutrients my decomposed body would undoubtedly provide), then I would prefer burial too! Too bad people will be squeamish about eating food that is grown over MY DEAD BODY!

oh, you can sell your organs on the black market and you get the money while you're alive, then give the organs when you die (well, they take them, anyways)

I wanna do that

that'd be sweet

are there nonreligios cemetarys? ive only seen christian
Don't see why the religious should have a monopoly on holes in the ground. Best of all would be a shallow grave in the woods - I'd biodegrade a lot quicker.

btw puppy ur organs are taken out anyway!
Yeah, is it just me or does anybody else feel like that's a bit of a violation?

This is all pretty inconsequential since I'd be dead anyway, I wouldn't know the difference if they stuck me on a pole and used me as a scarecrow (or bird feeder?). But thinking about it, my approach is very much related to my atheism (and aspiritualism). I do not regard my body as a vessel that carries my soul, as far as I'm concerned you are your body, trying to draw a line between body and self (even through the use of a phrase such as "my body") is inaccurate. That point of view could potentially engender a greater respect for physical bodies, while both alive and dead. Hence my preference for keeping the body whole, at least initially. You might wonder how being worm food fits into that, but I see it as a way of remaining part of the wonderful world of nature, which to me is preferable to being reduced to ash and smoke. I feel like the most respectful thing you can do with a dead creature is to eat it.