BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Detective Somerset appeared at the crime scene:

It was a four walled room that was being used for fitness training.

East wall: Front door, plaques and memorabilia

North wall: weights, stereo, posters, written in blood across the wall: 010010101010001000100010010010101010101010110010

West wall: a large window, blood smeared across the window, a dead man sitting up in the SW corner with gashed wrists and holding a plausible suicide note

South wall: a large mirror, on the mirror there is a picture taped on of the dead man shaking hands with the aerobics instructor

Somerset took a moment to flex his muscles in the mirror and then immediately called Homicide in on the case. Why?

20 answers to this question

Let the victim be holding the suicide note in his left hand , then he would have to gash one wrist with the other hand . So possibly he couldn't be holding the suicide note .

OR

The victim had to be holding the suicide note in his hand which he does not use frequently . Let's say it was the left hand . But in the photo , he's seen shaking the hand of his instructor(by the way how does Somerset know the other one's the aerobics instructor) with his left hand , which means that's his usual arm . (though shaking hands with left is not proper etiquette , I guess).

First of all, I notice that even with his wrists gashed, there appears to be no crime weapon at the scene.

If the victim decided to commit suicide, the 'weapon' would more than likely still be in his hands (fallen to the ground, perhaps) but still in the room nevertheless.

Now we can deduce from this that there was probably a second person involved who is responsible for removing the murder weapon from the scene of the crime. That person is most undoubtedly the murderer.

Even if someone stumbled upon the room at first. I don't think they would remove the murder weapon. ;)

Edited by Chaplam13

on the north wall there are ones and zeros written. these ones and zeros are binary code. if you take the numbers and reverse them, as they would be seen in the mirror on the south wall, they translate to "murder"

nihilish, please use spoilers next time.

Wow, you know I was fiddling around with that Earlier, but I didn't quite get to mirroring the Binary.

But know I see it, after rereading the clue.

But I'd like to know, are there people who can actually read Binary and know what it is in Text?

Not I, said the fly. I am only good at remembering numbers. Once I open up a safe, the world is mine.

Now I'll go and ponder what that could mean.... <_<

nihilish, please use spoilers next time.

Wow, you know I was fiddling around with that Earlier, but I didn't quite get to mirroring the Binary.

But know I see it, after rereading the clue.

But I'd like to know, are there people who can actually read Binary and know what it is in Text?

Sad to report I can read Ascii or Binary code. :D

Its the only bit I can remember from Modern Maths apart from the enduring phrase - 'all shends are umpty'. ;)

PS If you can remember that one, I deduce you must have been at secondary school in the 60's. B))

on the north wall there are ones and zeros written. these ones and zeros are binary code. if you take the numbers and reverse them, as they would be seen in the mirror on the south wall, they translate to "murder"

sorry but what is binary? :huh:

Besides the binary code, i wish i could read... there is a hint on the picture that the guy was not depressed, because i had to go to the gym frequently in order to become somewhat friends. Having friends is also another thing that makes you less depressed. So undepressed people dont kill themselves.

Hmm.. strange..

Why would there be such a long binary message? Would it not have been faster to simply write "murder" or, with that much time, write the name of the killer? Also, why would the photo of the aerobics instructor be taped lovingly on the mirror? If it was murder and the dead man was trying to say who did it, instead of finding a picture and taping it to the mirror then writing "murder" in backwards binary...

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but, is there more here than just backwards binary showing it was a murder and not suicide?

Binary numbers are numbers belonging to a number system , which have a base(radix) 2 . The numbers which we ordinarily use are decimal numbers , numbers belonging to a number system with base(radix) 10 . :)

There are 10 types of people in the world :

First , who give the answer straight without any trimmings , like me.

Second(10) , who like to twist the answer into a contorted version like rcjb . ;)

Binary numbers are numbers belonging to a number system , which have a base(radix) 2 . The numbers which we ordinarily use are decimal numbers , numbers belonging to a number system with base(radix) 10 . :)

There are 10 types of people in the world :

First , who give the answer straight without any trimmings , like me.

Second(10) , who like to twist the answer into a contorted version like rcjb . ;)

I'm more of a double helix? I can do hexadecimals too. <ahttp://brainden.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_wub.png' alt=':wub:'>

It's obvious that the man didn't slit his wrists, write binary in blood on the north wall, bleed all over the west wall, and then sit down in the sw corner and still be able to hold onto a suicide note. I've never heard of anyone that can do all that while losing that much blood.

First of all, I notice that even with his wrists gashed, there appears to be no crime weapon at the scene.

If the victim decided to commit suicide, the 'weapon' would more than likely still be in his hands (fallen to the ground, perhaps) but still in the room nevertheless.

Now we can deduce from this that there was probably a second person involved who is responsible for removing the murder weapon from the scene of the crime. That person is most undoubtedly the murderer.

Even if someone stumbled upon the room at first. I don't think they would remove the murder weapon. ;)

maybe the gashes are really paper cuts from the suicide note, still in his hands.

the binary probably reads something like "murder" or the killers name backwords, reflected off the mirror. the picture of the victim shaking hands is not a clue, just something to introduce the mirror. some people said that the hand he is shaking with could be a different hand used to slit his wrist, so that his dominant hand's wrist, the shaking hand's, would be slit, but he wouldn't be able to slit it with his less dominant hand, however, he could be ambidextrous, and if not, certainly able to hold a knife in his other hand, besides, the shaking hand could be the less dominant hand if he was left handed because you always shake with your right hand.

the binary does indeed say murder backwards when converted to ASCII, but it does not make sense as to why someone would, in his dying state, smear binary on the wall instead of just writing murder, and backwards at that.

I agree with dnae. It is impossible to slit your wrists and do all that writing of 0s and 1s, then decide to go to the chair and die, in addition to making sure the suicide note is still in hand.

One evident point is there is blood smeared on the window (west wall). So paper cuts are out of the question.

There is no mention of blood trail on the ground.