BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

Oh yes, and one more thing:

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

That depends on how you accept the mission. Do you accept by verbally saying, "Yes, I accept", or do you just do it, that being the way to accept it? Or you already have the mission, and then there'd be no more mission to accept, as I said before. :o

Question number six only seems to give you 2 choices - so you have to say either "YES" or "NO".

About the bullet and vest, I say they both shatter into dust.

Got an idea bout the 0 degrees times two sentence. Remember that celcius and farenheit are different, and so just because one is zero doesn't mean the other is zero. double the non-zero temperature. Hm. I'm sleepy, so I can't read other posts. Tell me if sum1 else took this guess already, I'm off for a nap. 8s 13:32 am here.

Heat(cold here) and temperature are two different units. So if it will be twice as cold, then we will get half the clories as we get from air at the same pressure and temperaure.

4. While she was in the past fate would restrict her from killing her grandmother. This could never happen. <!-- s:? --><!-- s:? -->

This is my first post here and I am not a physics major or anything so please be kind to me. I mean none of this in disrespect nor am I saying it to get a rise out of anyone.

I think there are 2 very big flaws in this explaination. (and I do realize I'm digging up a post from the past)

1. You can't use "fate" to discredit this solution as the existance of fate in itself is not a fact. Saying that fate wouldn't allow this and therefore it isn't possible is like me saying "fate dosnt exist therefore your explanation is incorrect"

To sum that up, you cant use a theory to absolutly disprove a theory.

2. Cutting off the fate part, I think people in this forum should stop answering questions by saying "This could never happen" its a hypothetical situation. The way I see it is that this is all VERY theoretical and therefore (**within reason**) No answer can be said to be 100% right or wrong.

My opinion: Again I'm not a physics major so this is just my use of limited understanding. I personally believe that what would happen is she would go back in time and kill her grandmother, she would cease to exist and time would continue as normal minus her existance. (Let it also be known that I do not believe time travel is possible, but that is my take on what would happen if it hypothetically were to happen)

Again, I mean no offence to the written of the post or his beliefs.

1. If the bullet will always penetrate, and the armour is inpenetrable, then they will cancel each other out. Transfering this into our world, with our physics, then first of all, the gun the bullet was fired from would probably break from the recoil. The bullet would lose speed and power the longer it is in the air. The armor is stationary, so it has no energy to lose. My guess is that it would knock the armor over, and leave a dent, but no much more.

2. This question would really depend on religious beliefs. I see that the question does not say where the eternal life will be. I take that to mean that one could drown, and then be reborn.

3. If my mission is to not accept the mission, then I don't know which mission is being mentioned. I could have already accepted this mission, and I am presented with a new one not mentioned. But, taking the question at face value, I would say NO, just to get out of some work.

4. The question nevers says at what time the Grandmother was killed. It could be before or after her mother was born. Even if the mother had already been born, the death would affect her choices in marriage. The killing of the Grandmother would not guarantee her never being born, but she would be literally a different.

5. First of all, I live in North Carolina. It doesn't get that cold. If it did, then I would think about the temperature yesterday. You could then double the difference and subtract that from zero.

6. "I would say no."

7. If the car were going at exactly light speed, then the light would turn on as usual. Einstien said that mass turns into pure energy at the speed of light SQUARED. The light there would be traveling at twice the speed of light (36 X 10^4 miles per second) The speed that this would not work is

324 X 10^8 mps, in which the car would be traveling at 323.9982 X 10^8 mps.

8. I would let Him, but far away from me. The statement doesn't ask whether it is possible or not, it just asks to let Him do it.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

No the bullet won't get through it, it will get around it!

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

Eternal life does not mean you can not be killed, it only means you will life without growth. You can still drown.

No and I complete my mission. But you can say if I do not accept how can I ever start? Well then that solve the problem too because if you don't accept then don't worry about it.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Well scientifically, time machines are hypothesized to be able to only go to the time when you first start the the machine. But Sci-Fi-ly, time will continue even if the past is rewritten. So killing her grandmother will only be a act of the past and she will still continue to live on.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Who knows! we can't ever trust the Weather Channel these days.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

no! i didn't say it i typed it

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

You will die before you turn your headlights on.

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

He can create a stone at the ceiling of the universe so he can never pick it up.

well for number one "the bullet can shoot trough any barrier in the past before there is a barrier like that" or "there is an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it in the past before it meets with the bullet" i dont know if it is true or not :huh::huh:

Edited by i am a liar

number 8:

if the god says that he cannot pick it he can still destroy it or create a creature that can pick it up, if god cannot break his promises then god will find a way to break his promises without breaking his promises :huh::huh::huh:

1. bullet and tank become one / bullet and tank become none

2. We have already an eternal life, not because of any God. The atoms I am made of will exist in another medium

3. Does it matter, we wait for next mission, Surely it should be "mission void" select next mission / What mission has no mission - it is not a mission

4. She stays in the past - may get caught though

5. I put on one pair of gloves at zero and two pairs if it gets colder than that

6. "YES" - just to be awkward,

7. Mmmmmm !- Your lights come on. What would you be able to see or not see if you went faster than the speed of light - the light can't travel fast enough to hit your retener - Mmmmm!

8.Who?

my tought:

1. They will vanish. Like matter vs antimatter, + vs - (personally, I like the spear-shield version.)

2. Yes. He drowned.

3. As a good soldier, just accept it. The chain effect will be discared, because the mission is completed. Or you may say no and they will assign you another mission.

4. If the past-present are connected, she dies. But, her grandmother already died because of her act, so she will not be reborn. Else, only her grandmother dies. If she can return to her present, her life will just continue in her dimension.

5. Based on what the channel tells about today's weather.

6. Nope.

7. Nothing changes, cause your car is also a light. Consider your car can hold into that speed, you will die before it happens.

8. That god almighty can't create that stone.

• 2 weeks later...
Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. The universe would implode? o_O But to be serious the 2 forces cannot exist...Upon collision one would disprove the other.

2. I would think not considering it is a fountain of "Eternal life." Though if this fountain did not take the pain and agony of drowning away then you would likely learn to swim to escape eternal torment of the feeling of drowning.

3. Of course you can accept it...You would just fail the mission.

4. This is a hard one and depends on your thoughts of what would happen during time travel. And if the girl is going back to before her mother was born then either one of 2 things would happen. A) If the past and present exist on the same plane: The girl goes back in time and kills her grandmother therefore causing her to not be born therefore making it where she cannot go back in time to kill her grandmother therefore allowing her to be born and causing an infinite loop. B) If the past and present existed on parellel but still different planes: She would go back in time, kill her grandmother and would return to see her grandmother still alive...YOU FAIL IT!!

5. This depends totally on one's preception of cold...And even then it's impossible to double cold since when something gets "colder" the number is therefore going and and you cannot double something in reverse.

6. Since it is not specified that you can only say 1 word and that word has to be either "Yes" or "No" then this one's easy...Just say something before you say no and you're cleared like, "Hmmm...I say no." Now if you were to specify the condition that all you can say is either "Yes" or "No" then it's impossible to answer "Truthfully."

7. The headlights WOULD come on, however the way I see it the headlights would basically look like they're shooting their light backward rather than forward. Since the car (if it were possible for it to travel at the speed of light) would most likely be going in a forward motion then the that would prevent the light from going forward since the car would be traveling the same speed, however this would not prevent the light from going up, down, left, and right in a 360 degree circle nor would it prevent if from going backward until the light hits the point that it cannot go back anymore since the car is going in a forward motion. I hope that made sense...

8. This is an impossibility since God is almighty and cannot possibly create something the He Himself cannot lift or it would basically be like saying He is not almighty since He cannot lift it.

I do hope that my rambling didn't confuse anyone...

for #7:

Assuming your speed is .99c, and not actually c...

The light would come out of your headlights at the speed of light. To an observer "stationary", he/she would also see the light coming out of your headlights at the speed of light. The time and spaces are relative, so you both see them coming out of your headlights at the speed of light. regardless of what your doing or how fast your going, light always travels at a constant speed in a vacuum.

There is a catch though, you might not be able to see the headlights, because everything you see would be going past you so fast that all the light would be doppler shifted to violet/ultraviolet/possibly beyond.

I've rethought my view on these paradoxes:

1. Super Bullet vs. Super Armor: Well, I don't know why it would "get around it" or have a "antimatter vs. matter" effect. I'm still sticking with a)Dent in the shield and partial breakage of a the bullet and b)super explosion with black hole, or total destruction of the universe and everything in it/around it.

2. Drowning in the fountain of eternal life: Well, eternal life does not mean life without growth, it means you can not be killed. So you can't drown. However, I like that other person's solution much better, where they said something along the lines of, "the technical definition of drown is to take water into the lungs, so yes you can drown..." ...but them I searched up the word drown on dictionary.com, and it gave me: "to die under water or other liquid of suffocation." I didn't see taking water into the lungs in any of he definitions, although I did find another alternative definition: "To drench thoroughly or cover with or as if with a liquid". You can be covered with the water, but not necessarily die - so there the answer would be Yes.

3. Accept this mission to not accept this mission: (I don't really like this one because in the way it's worded; it makes it sound as if you already have the mission in the first place) Well, I remember writing/typing something about verbally accepting it vs. just accepting it in your head. I don't think I explained that very well, so I'll say it here: You have 2 choices: To accept; To not accept. Unless you have 4: To say "Yes", to say "No", to just do it, to just not to do it. If you say Yes, you fail the mission, because you accepted the mission (excluding the fact that now there is no more mission to accept). If you say No, you've just done the mission anyways, btw, who cares!? - unless one of the ways to accept the mission is to just do it, so you just accepted and not accepted it with one word, would cause a paradox that I have no "solution" for. You could get around this by saying "No, I don't feel like it - well, yes, fine, I'll do it".

5.Double coldness when 0 degrees: I thought about this - and converting it into Fahrenheit isn't right. It's more like, "you'll feel twice as frozen tomorrow". Ignore the degrees, I think what should be doubled/spit is something else - like your body temperature :lol: . Oh yeah, and the weatherman should be fired.

6. Yes or No - will you say no?: It's annoying when people say "or", because "or" wasn't a choice. They gave you the choice and grammatically stated it in a fashion that is: 1) Say YES 2) say NO. I like the answer of typing NO instead :P . I think the best solution, if forced to respond verbally, is just to say "Yes no.". Meaning, "Yes (it is, and yes i do mean no), No(after this it isn't, but after the yes it was!).

7. Light speed car turns on headlights: I thought this was very simple - the light from the headlights would go twice the speed of light. It's like if you're driving and you throwing a ball forward, it'll go farther from the place from which it was thrown(assuming constant conditions) than if you threw it standing still. It seems simple...

8. I don't get this one... why is it a paradox?

Also, I've noticed this a lot when reading "answers" to paradoxes: Sometimes these paradoxes aren't taken hypothetically. True! - it is impossible in the first place to make an invincible shield, or an ultra-piercing bullet, or to time travel (from what we know), but these questions are hypothetical! I think it would be right to treat them as it is stated. When we "solve" paradoxes, I think we should actually "solve" them - not simply say, "there's no way this could happen in the first place". When we watch a sci-fi movie, we don't say "Well Bob couldn't of been captured by futuristic evil aliens and his comrades wouldn't have to try and save him; there aren't any aliens in space and it's impossible to time travel!". That's the movie: They've given you what's happening, and that's that, even if it is impossible/improbable. It's nice when people point out that it is for a fact impossible, but I "it's impossible" isn't the "solution" to a paradox. The hypothetical paradox is right there - you're given what you can do, and what you can't; what can happen, and what cannot; if you say Yes, or if you say No (or and maybe, in the wording of the paradox, were never a choice); and with those choices you try to "solve" a paradox - or prove it isn't a paradox after all. It doesn't mean you can't imagine up something unexpected (like converting it into Fahrenheit), but saying that the solution to a paradox or any other hypothetical question is "it's not possible to be in that situation" can be aggravating.

7. Light speed car turns on headlights: I thought this was very simple - the light from the headlights would go twice the speed of light. It's like if you're driving and you throwing a ball forward, it'll go farther from the place from which it was thrown(assuming constant conditions) than if you threw it standing still. It seems simple...

Nice try, but that's not possible. Nothing can go twice the speed of light. To you inside the car, they would come out at the speed of light. To someone standing outside the car, they would come out at the speed of light. The answer is that they would come out at the speed of light no matter what.

This is assuming that the problem means .99 c, not 1c as your speed

(Alright just so you know my theories are never developed on the principles of logic) If any such material existed and that particular bullet was shot at it, then they would both just disappear into space, hell if I know why it just would happen.

No one said there was water in it (or any liquid for that matter)

You didnt specifically state which mission so yes.

Maybe she made her mother/father with her grandfather thus becoming her grandmother then killed her grandmother.

-44 degrees celcius, i do not know why do not ask me.

I cant tell you that because I typed it I havnt said it yet

The light stays in the same place yet still exists

Well this is impossible because there is no god. Because if there is a Magic Man in the sky that knows what I did do what im doing and what Im going to do then Im the reincarnation of Ghandi

"7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

The light stays in the same place yet still exists"

How do you mean? It can't do both. It either stays in the same place or exits.

Since the question is hypothetical it would not need a real answer and could be answer in hypotheticals.

It depends on how it is needed to aquire the eternal life, if by drinking he could die.

No, therefore I have no mission to complete

Time paradoxes would prevent this, so she would not exist to kill anyone.

They could be in a different area or have the wrong data

I donot need to listen to the truthful part. One does not have to listen.

A car can not travel light speed it is physically impossible.

God does not always listen to man.

Riddle Man...I think the point here is to answer hypothetically...As stated here by Eugenia:

Also, I've noticed this a lot when reading "answers" to paradoxes: Sometimes these paradoxes aren't taken hypothetically. True! - it is impossible in the first place to make an invincible shield, or an ultra-piercing bullet, or to time travel (from what we know), but these questions are hypothetical! I think it would be right to treat them as it is stated. When we "solve" paradoxes, I think we should actually "solve" them - not simply say, "there's no way this could happen in the first place". When we watch a sci-fi movie, we don't say "Well Bob couldn't of been captured by futuristic evil aliens and his comrades wouldn't have to try and save him; there aren't any aliens in space and it's impossible to time travel!". That's the movie: They've given you what's happening, and that's that, even if it is impossible/improbable. It's nice when people point out that it is for a fact impossible, but I "it's impossible" isn't the "solution" to a paradox. The hypothetical paradox is right there - you're given what you can do, and what you can't; what can happen, and what cannot; if you say Yes, or if you say No (or and maybe, in the wording of the paradox, were never a choice); and with those choices you try to "solve" a paradox - or prove it isn't a paradox after all. It doesn't mean you can't imagine up something unexpected (like converting it into Fahrenheit), but saying that the solution to a paradox or any other hypothetical question is "it's not possible to be in that situation" can be aggravating.

I may have said that 8 is an impossibility on my answers but I gave a reason why I said so. At least give a reason why you think it's impossible...but do it a way that removing the part about being impossible would still leave you with an understandably hypothetical answer like mine.

1. The bullet stops, goes around the armour and then continues - Since it was hypothetical, I figured I would use a magic bullet like the Warren report did........

2. Sure he can, but his cells would live on.

3. Maybe, Can you clarify the parameters some more?

4. No prob. That is how we came into existance to begin with - some pyscho with a time machine went back in time to prove the big bang really did occur, and wanted to record it, but went back to far and the containment field on the matter anti-matter generator failed causing a big bang....... Obviously, when the girl did this, her grandmother died, she dissappeared, having not been born, and the case ended up an unsolved murder.....

5. Way too easy -32 since 32 is freezing (which is cold) and 0 is 32 degrees less than freezing, it is obvious that twice as cold is -32....

6. If I have to answer, then No.

7. the front of your hood starts glowing.... You figure that out....

8. He did, and then he planted it into a few select heads.... you will know them when they speak, :)

8. Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!
Okay I love that one.

But to rephrase as it is usually put if I may:

Could God create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?

Answer: NO

Based on these assumptions:

By "God" we mean an entity that is all powerful - In two areas at least in this hypothetical situation;

He can create any weight of Stone,

He can lift any stone of any weight.

Could he create a rock of any weight? Yes, as stated in the attributes of this hypothetical God

Could lift any weight of stone? Yes.

The question is not a true paradox (as creating a square circle would be) as the solution is to be found in a simple rewording of the question:

Could God create a Rock that has a weight beyond the limits of his Stone lifting power?

No, of course not, he has no limits to his stone lifting power. Thus there is no limit which he could exceed.

For more, I argued for this on another forum and got into quite a little debate over it :lol:

The thread was called A simple question

The question is not a true paradox (as creating a square circle would be) as the solution is to be found in a simple rewording of the question:

Could God create a Rock that has a weight beyond the limits of his Stone lifting power?

No, of course not, he has no limits to his stone lifting power. Thus there is no limit which he could exceed.

Nice. That question always irritated me because it seemed obvious that I should be able to answer No without somehow limiting the power of God, but I wasn't very convincing. You made it simple and clear.

Nice. That question always irritated me because it seemed obvious that I should be able to answer No without somehow limiting the power of God, but I wasn't very convincing. You made it simple and clear.
regarding the original wording, the question (which is not a question - it's a challenge) is put to God/supernatural entity or am I missing something - actually i sort of did because i put an answer in previously.