BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

For #1, when the bullet hit the armor, they would both be completly destroyed, in such a way that their imploding mass might create a black hole, but otherwise, for a time, have no effect on those around it. Thus, if humanity was stupid enough to create these two items, they would destroy themselves.

For #4, this is the classic 'grandfather paradox' of time travel; the only way to continue to exist is to kill the grandmother AFTER she gave birth to your mother. This way you have a chance of still existing, as fate has a way of bringing this around.

For #7, it is true that the photons would pool in the headlights, but the number of photons in the headlight area when you energise them is very finite when your vehicle is traveling at the speed of light, and so either A) the headlights would simply cease to emit light within a short period of realtime, or B) They would be destroyed, if headlights made from pure energy, as anything must be to go that fast, can be destroyed at all. I speculate that if they can, they might eventually produce a 'mini-big bang.' As such, when you are traveling so fast, don't turn on your headlights, or if you must, not for more than 10 seconds of realtime (or a distance of 10x180,000 miles.)

#4: The implacations would depend on what point in time she killed her grandmother; say she goes back and kills her grandmother after her mother is born, then she safley (*cough*) home free. But if it takes place prior to her mothers birth then there is a definit issue.

#7: If the car was traveling at the speed of light it wouldn't matter anyway, because that is the point of activation for matter to be converted to pure energy, you either wouldn't have (due to total breakdown of matter) headlights, the car, the driver or any combination of the three.

Edited by malleusdei53

As to the God lifting a stone one, there are actually things that God cannot do. This may offend some Christians, but it is true. He cannot lie, he cannot sin, he cannot make a square circle or a circle square, and he cannot not love someone. So stop trying to play "Stump the Christian".

~Squid~

Perhaps I'm not understanding the question here. However, it would seem to me the obvious issue and advice here would be to say: "You'll eat the child Mister Crocodile." Remember: this is an ancient beast more known for clamping down and rolling around in muddy pools of water than for it's scholarly dissertations on high energy physics. In the confusion where it doesn't know if it should consume the kid and thus have to return him, unharmed, or fail to and thus be compelled to do so - grab the child and run away. If you are very kind you might leave behind an aluminium crocodile hat/heatsink as the poor guy tries to figure out what just went wrong.

1. Both the bullet and the armor would be totally distroyed due to the colision

2. Yes because he didn't drink it it filled his lungs and he couldn't breathe

3. No i don't accept the mission but i'll do it anyways

4. Dueto the affects of the time rip the grandmother will die before giving birth cause the girl to be erased form excestance. It would be an unending time cycle skiping every other time phrame.

5. somwhere in the negitives

6. Will the next word you say be no? Yes saying is diffrent then the after mass. A.K.A i said no first then relized the answer was yes.

7. Nothing you just woun't see the lights

8. Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

;) as jesus there were many stones in which he could not pick up

Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met.

You stated "He is capable of lifting it". If this is true, Then he can not create it. As for the statement reads "He can not lift which means, is not capable. Conditions not met.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

That's what makes it a paradox. These two things cannot exist.

Edited by aliz8

• 2 weeks later...

My ideas:

1 The bullet and the armour would either be blown apart and neither of them harmed, or they both explode.

2 He would die and then come back again with eternal life.

3 I accept if I decline, or I simply don't accept.

4 Both would die

5 -2 degrees

6 Never!

7 The headlights would still go in the speed of light

8 Well he puts Untearoffable GlueTM to stick the stone down

For number 5.

If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?

Basically, i worked this out as -8.888888889 degree's celsius.

However, because it didn't state whether it was 0 degree's celsius or fahrenheit. It could be -35.5555556 degrees celcius.

Hmmm,

0 degrees Celsius = 32 degrees Fahrenheit

So, twice as cold would be 16 degrees fahrenheit, which makes -8.88888889 degree's.

or

0 degrees Fahrenheit = -17.7777778 degrees Celsius

So, 17.777778 * 2 = -35.5555556

So, the new question, how is it possible to have two seperate temperatures for the same equation and question?

Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met.

The wording says "cannot," not refuses to, or won't. He must be incapable of picking it up.

Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

For all of these answers I dont know if people have said something similar or even the exact same thing, but I will answer these anyway.

For this one, the armour could be invented without there being anything in existence during that time period that could penetrate it. Then the bullet is created. This meets the conditions.

Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

This isnt really a paradox. There can actually be many ways to argue this. For one, you could just say that you dont even hear about or be confronted about the mission, that way you are neither accepting it nor not accepting it.

Another way is that the statement doesnt say whether or not you must successfully complete the mission. If you accept the mission, you are failing the mission. If you dont except, then you are completing the mission even if you meant to or not.

This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

This is not a paradox either. Because there is no referrence of time for the statement, this has many easy answers. For one, if the girl went back a week ago and killed her grandma, nothing would happen because she was born before her grandma was killed. If you really wanted this to be a paradox, it would say 'she went back and killed her grandma/mother before they were born.

If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

You cant have 'twice as cold'. Cold in fact doesn't even exist as a measurable object. It is simply an adjective we use to describe the lack of heat. That is like saying twice as black. Black is as black as you can get it. You would have to say 'half of the amount of heat'.

Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

"The next word I say will not be no."

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

I would look at the nearest town that had a minus figure, double it, then add the difference between that town and mine. (I know my town might not have dropped exactly relative to the next, but hey, it should be close!)

But the weather people are wrong a lot of the time anyway, so I would get my sun glasses and floppy hat at the ready!

Edited by BlackDuke07

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

This seems to me to fail as an argument for the doubt about God existence, or as an argument that lead to the conclusion that God do not exist. For, if we accept the premise that God can do everything, then it comes as a quite logical conclusion that among the infinite things (and combination of things God can do) is the fact that God can't create a stone, which he can not pick up. So, instead of considering this as an argument that lead's to the conclusion that God can't do anything (an argument which -in theoretical terms- would doubt God's existence), we are obliged to consider it as an argument that God, INDEED CAN DO EVERYTHING:Yes, one of the infinite things God can do is the fact that God CAN"T CREATE A STONE HE CAN"T PICK UP.

This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

I have a question, how does the girl go back in time?

Edited by Mystery

Let's say there is a bullet which can shoot through any barrier. Let's also say there is an absolutely bullet-proof armor which no object can penetrate. What will happen if such a bullet hits such an armor?

Both could not possibly exist at the same time. If there is such a bullet which can shoot through any barrier, then it must be that it could shoot through the bulle-proof armor, and thus it does not become an "absolutely bullet-proof armor" anymore and vice versa for the case of the armor.

Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

A fountain (by default, of water) spews out water. A fountain of eternal life spews out either eternal life, or life eternally. Either way, a person could not drown in any object other than water. A person may lose breath by other objects(plastic bags) but that is suffocation already. No paradox.

What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on?

According to Einstein's Theory, it will still travel along with its normal speed, even for the person in the car's point of view.

A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother.

What if time is "branched"? Example: The girl going into the past to kill her grandmother causes time to deviate from its intended path (the path by which the girl was born) and create another "branch" where the grandmother does not exist, the mother will not be born, and so will be the girl that will kill the grandmother. But, the grandmother was killed by the girl from another branch. I've always wanted to share this view of time.

Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?

I can answer it in many ways.

THE next word I would say is not no.

I do not think so.

just use a negative statement or word that does not start with no or is not no.

• 2 weeks later...

there are a couple of answers to #2

1. If she went back in time after her mother was born nothing would happen but if it was before then she wouldn't exist

2. If she never existed then she never killed her grandmother, if she never killed her grandmother then she does exist and it just continues from there.

I hope I explained MY answer #2 clearly :)

Edited by Cariaian

there are a couple of answers to #2

1. If she went back in time after her mother was born nothing would happen but if it was before then she wouldn't exist

2. If she never existed then she never killed her grandmother, if she never killed her grandmother then she does exist and it just continues from there.

I hope I explained MY answer #2 clearly :)

pls disregard MY answer #2 I wan't paying that mch attention.

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

#1: neither can exist while the other one does