BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

For paradox #7=

(I'm in 8th grade okay, still I've been studying Quantum physics since i was 5) If a car traveled the speed of light and it's headlights were on, the light from the head lights would stay inside the particles which were vibrating fast enough to emit Electro-Magnetic Radiation Quanta until the car slowed down at all, then all the extra Electro-Magnetic energy would be released. And to address the infinite mass problem, aren't electrons a form of mass and energy? If all mass is brought to infinite and electrons mass was brought to infinite and if we assume the energy would be directly related to the mass of the electron, the energy of the car would be brought to infinite allowing the car to maintain it's speed.

--C. Niel DeMencha

(thats a pseudonym, LOOK IT UP and no I'm not quoting him thats my pseudonym)

For all answers to life read Eregon.

1. Time would collapse in on itself

2. Yes but not die. He continues to suffer and drown until somebody pulls him out or another situation occurs.

4. cycle continues until another person is thrown in the mix and the situation changes.

6. nope

7. c^2 (speed of light squared)

For the Stone Paradox: We discussed this one in my philosophy class.

With God being all knowing, he knows it is logically impossible. Asking God to do things that are logically impossible is not asking him to do anything at all, it makes no sense, it's an incoherent task.

Therefore, this doesn't mean that there is something that God cannot do. He is still Omnipotent, because he can do everything there is to do that is logically consistent.

By the way, that was taken directly from my Intro to Philosophy notes, therefore these are my instructor's words, but I will not post his name here. We discussed this paradox while going over Perry's dialouge "Good, Evil, and the Existence of God." I definitely suggest reading it.

Your reply about God not attempting an "illogical task" seems to posit the existence of a task giver, or another entity that sets God the incoherent challenge.

If i follow correctly, then what you are saying is that God cannot do an illogical task, and this does not conflict with her omnipotence, as the task itself does not make sense. Which is fair enough. If it were an impossible task, by some objective rigor of logic.

Except that it is possible.

As someone said earlier, God could create a pebble, then say/claim/state, "i shall never pick this up".

What i am trying to say is, the notion of an objective logical system based on human standards is false, especially when applied to a hypothetical omni-suffix being. Whether a task is "logically incoherent" is a matter of perspective. And semantics.

Anyway my point concerns the definition of logic, and the ramifications of an imperfect system of logic when considering the actions of a perfect entity.

By the by, "with God being all-knowing, he knows it is logically impossible". I am assuming that you are not an omniscient being, therefore to attempt to infer what an all-knowing being could know is impossible. What you call logic is a mode of argument between human beings.

Anyway you could disregard what i said, but I.M.Ozorz paradoxes are not questions that require answers, they are mirrors from which we can interrogate conceptual prejudices we otherwise be unable to analyse.

I.Mofo.O

ok , dude who asked your teacher wut would happen if u turned the lights on on a car that goes the speed of light, your head lights would definatly not go twice the speed of light since nuthing goes the speed of light. the speed of light is constant no matta how fast the car wuz going. the lights would turn on but never leave the car since they are going exactly the same speed. ur teacher obviosly does not no anything about the relativity of the speed of light. if u want to ask someone that questionb u should as albert einstein himself by reading the realivity of the speed of light.

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

The bullet, it would be intangible making it not hit the armour there for this never happened

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

Ahh but is it a fountian of gas? In which it instills immortality? A fountain is an origin of somthing.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

Which mission does it speak of? The one to kill yourself?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

The girl would be lost forever at the point she goes back in time.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Switch the temp to Celcius or kelvins i do not know the answer to it thou

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

No, the next word i will say is dragon. Writing is not speaking.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

The light will go bunch up, slowly engulfing your car in radiation.

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

He created an unwritten law that forbides him to pick up this pebble and uses his divine power to embed it into the univerces universal laws.

and rrfxxxr what if the furtilized egg was givin to another carrier?

So for number 7:

Forgive me if someones already mentioned this, im a newb to this...

I think it depends on who is the observer.

If you were driving the car (or moving along with the car), the light would appear to come out of the headlights just like normal.

If you are outside the car (AND not moving with the car. ie. stationary with respect to the car), the light will not escape its source.

Ive only taken one class in modern physics so thats just my best guess.

EDIT: reading back through this Gopher of Pern already mentioned this. So kudos to him and whoever else

i have not read all the pages but I am sure that answer has already been given being it is such an easy conclusion

the answer to number 4 simply is that she went back and killed her grandmother after her mother or father was born. Therefore she still can exist.

As for number 4, I have another question. If the girl were to go back and kill her father before she was born, and her mother remarried, would she be born as someone else or would someone else be born?

Someone else would be born, because different sperm would enter the womb.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

The bullet would pass partway through the armor.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

No.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

No, I don't!

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

*disappears* *appears* *disappears* *appears* *disappears* *appears*

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

-17 farrenheit

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Maybe...

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

The light would stay at it's source.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

It's ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

* Let's say there is a bullet which can shoot through any barrier. Let's also say there is an absolutely bullet-proof armor which no object can penetrate. What will happen if such a bullet hits such an armor?--Its a catch 22 they will repell eachother

* Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life? he could but itd be like immortality

* Your mission is not to accept the mission. Do you accept?No i will not accept the mission to not accept this mission.

* A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother.Actually it is like a circle--She can keep trying to kill her gm but she will not exist anymore then her granmother will have kids, who will have kids (her) and she will do it again.

* If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be? -42° Celcius(-32°C is 0°F, double would be -42° C. or -44 °F

* Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'? OR

* What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on? Good question

* I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!If he cant pick it up then how can he create it, he has infinite power. duh.

What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on?

This paradox is actual not a paradox at all. To follow the laws of physics is extremely simple and to follow the stated paradox is an error. If you are traveling at the speed of light and turn the headlights on, the headlights will use the car as a reference frame and will move at the speed of light from your vehicle. There will be no difference.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour? Whatever happen you can state that one statement is false OR consider that the bullet-proof armour is not a barrier.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life? yes eternally drowning

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept? If I accept this mission I have to say NO to the mission. If I do not want to accept this mission I have to say yes I therefore do not do what I am asked to do.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born. Unless all times exist at the same time

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be? hmm!

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no? Yes since the question is "will the ...)

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on? The light does not shines in front of me --

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)! I assume God cannot pick up anything anyway as I did not see God as having fingers.

Answer #2 - Yes a man could drown in the Fountain of Eternal Life because to drown is to have fluid fill your lungs. You are not asking if he would die only if he would drown. The water in your lungs doesn't kill you it is the lack of oxygen that kills you.

Answer #4 - First of all there is no such things as a paradox. A paradox is what a scientist or person calls a problem they can not figure out. With that stated yes the girl could travel back in time and kill her grandmother. She would still exist in the past. If that would trigger a ( paradox ) then she would never do it because she would never be born and so on and so on which would then make the whole scenario moot. Which if we are stating that she is born and does go back then in fact the paradox doesn't happen and so it proves the plausibleness of her actions.

Answer #5 - That would depend on what temperature scale you are using. The scale which places zero degrees at the absolutely coldest point is called Kelvin. It has the same degree divisions as Celsius does. "Absolute zero," or zero degrees Kelvin, is the coldest temperature possible. This is the temperature at which all molecules stop all movement.

So, if you are measuring in Kelvin, twice as cold is not possible. (0/2=0) However, if you are using the Celsius scale, zero degrees is actually 273.15 degrees above absolute zero. So, twice as cold would be -136.575 degrees Celsius. Similarly, absolute zero in Fahrenheit is -459.67. Thus, from zero degrees F, twice as cold would be -229.835 degrees F.

Note that, due to the different scales in Celsius and Fahrenheit, just as zero degrees C and zero degrees F are not equal, neither is "twice as cold."

Answer #6 - The answer is yes because the next word I will say is no because the next word I say will not be no.

Answer #7 - The answer that the light emitted would appear to stay at its source because you would be traveling at the same speed is correct.

1) If there were an irresistable force (in this example, in the form of a bullet), and it were to come into contact with an immovable object, (in this case, armour) then the result would be a source of energy powerful enough to destroy the universe.

4) A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother.

a) Therefore, the girl has travelled from some point in the fourth dimention, back to another, undetermined point in the Fourth Dimension (see "b"). If we are to assume the point is before both she, and her parents were born, a new line would split into the Fifth Dimendion. Since the line in the fifth dimension does not have the capability to produce the events that caused its creation, it would cease to exist, and the original timeline, with the living grandmother, which would have been running parallel to the Fifth Dimensional timeline, would allow the birth of the girl, and allow her to kill her grandmother. This, in turn, would create and endless cycle of the time replaying itself, in both timelines endlessly.*

B.) Because the point in time that the girl travels back to is undetermined, she could have killed her grandmother at any time. If this was after the grandmother had children, then the girl could still have been born. A split into the Fifth Dimension would still be created, but unlike in case "a", it would have the capability to recreate the circumstances that resulted in it's existence, and would therefore it would not necissarily result in a loop in Space-Time. The closer the point in time where she travelled back to is to the point she originated from (wether it be one day, or one year), the less variation there will be in the Fifth Dimentional split. Which would result in higher chance of the timeline continuing and not looping, as in case "a".

7) What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

The light would acellerate at the speed of light, relative to its source. Seeing as the source, the headlights, is travelling at the speed of light already, the headlights would move at twice the speed of light to the stationary observer.

To demonstrate that Faster-Than-Light-Speed-Travel is possible, I ask you to to picture a light source at point A. Some distance away, the light hits a wall. Halfway between the wall and Point A is an electron, moving back and fourth between two points, D and E. This electron causes a shadow on the wall, which moves between points B and C. Because the shadow travels between B and C in the exact same time as the electron moves between points D and E, and the length of line BC is double that of line DE, we can state that the shadow is moving at twice the speed of the electron. If the electron is moving at near light speed, then the shadow moves at a speed which is greater than the speed of light.

*For an explaination of the Ten Dimensions, see <!-- m --><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI</a><!-- m -->

• 2 weeks later...
To number 7, the headlight will turn on yet it will be trapped at it's exact source so long as you go EXACTLY the speed of light any slower and it will be ahead of you.... the real question i believe should be:

"What happens if you are in a car going 'faster than' the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?"

As to that question, the light is already going speed of light, yet if it moves at the speed of light, it is going 2*speed of light.

It's like if you're waking on a moving sidewalk, what's your speed? Your beginning speed+the speed of the sidewalk.

As to that question, the light is already going speed of light, yet if it moves at the speed of light, it is going 2*speed of light.

It's like if you're waking on a moving sidewalk, what's your speed? Your beginning speed+the speed of the sidewalk.

I'd agree that the light from the headlights would, at first, be going twice the speed of light. As the light moved away from the vehicle, it would slow down until it reached the speed of light, though it would still be visible to the driver as it would have made it's way ahead of the car before slowing down.

Think of it as if you are driving in a converatable at 60 MPH and throw a baseball 60 mph strait ahead of you. The ball will initially be traveling at 120 mph.

The question also assummes you are driving the car on earth, not in space, so in that case, as gravity takes hold, the light would eventually slow to it's normal speed. I would imagine that if there was no gravity, the light would travel at twice the speed of light indefinately.

• 2 weeks later...

as for number 4.....it depends on whether she is traveling on the same time-line as the one she lives in or a parallel time line. If she kills her grandmother in a the same timeline then she would kill her grandmother repeatedly and never advance past the time in her life when she left her place in time (similar to bill and teds excellent adventure haha) if she traveled into a parallel timeline then killing her grandmother would have no effect on her.

Edited by scottyboy91

1. Those two things can't exist at the same time.

2. No, because most probably, the fountain of eternal life isn't really a fountain with water and all, but is a portal or vortex to a dimension where another possible life exists.

3. Stupid question. You can still take on the mission, because the what that mission entails does not yet take place UNTIL you take the mission.

4. Two cases: 1. The Grandmother she kills is just her mother's aunt, therefore, she still lives. 2. The Grandmother she kills is her mother's mother, therefore the whole thing cannot exist.

5. Convert the temperature to Fahrenheit or Celsius. OR, think about temperature as a variable not having a TRUE ZERO (a zero value for the variable does not mean its absence). Therefore, a twice 0 degrees is just 2 degrees.

6. Yes, I said no. So?

7. Most interesting question of this bunch. I honestly don't know what's gonna happen. <_<

About the bullet and vest, I say they both shatter into dust.

Got an idea bout the 0 degrees times two sentence. Remember that celcius and farenheit are different, and so just because one is zero doesn't mean the other is zero. double the non-zero temperature. Hm. I'm sleepy, so I can't read other posts. Tell me if sum1 else took this guess already, I'm off for a nap. 8s 13:32 am here.

Edited by Creed_Angelus

This one's fun. Isn't there some kind of fable about an impenetrable shield against the ultimate shield?

Anywho, I'd imagine the extreme solution to this would be something scientific, likely ending in some cosmic event.

For fun, I'll speculate. Without reguard to destructive force, the perfect penetrating bullet could not exist by my logic, as it would have to become infinitely thinner/move infinitely faster. The most impenetrable material for armor would have to achieve a level of density such that it was completely seamless, and due to my (admittedly basic to put it lightly :lol: ) comprehension of mollecular physics, this would also be impossible. The way I could see this going is:

- The bullet is becoming infinitely sharper at an infinitely ever increasing rate, and gaining speed likewise.

- The armor is accumulating density in the same way, refining its molecular bits to ever smaller sizes and closing them in infinitely tighter together. Cutting the 1, cutting the 0.5, cutting the 0.25, etc. forever.

- Our bullet wants to find its way between the cracks of the smallest particles in the armor.

The bullet's success depends on its point of refinement relative to the armor's point of refinement. Though they both grow infinitely better at what they do, thier strength in relation to eachother depends upon thier moment of thier creation and thier strength in that moment. Assuming they were formed in the same instant as a precisely equal match. At the point that they should collide, the impact would (I think) destroy the universe as we know it. As for the bullet and the armor.. who knows? They may both be destroyed?

One strategy is for the armor to move away from the bullet's trajectory to lessen the impact, or since the bullet must make a straight line in order to maintain its velocity, to the side, or a combination of both, should the bullet decide to take the risk of veering.

What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on?

This paradox is actual not a paradox at all. To follow the laws of physics is extremely simple and to follow the stated paradox is an error. If you are traveling at the speed of light and turn the headlights on, the headlights will use the car as a reference frame and will move at the speed of light from your vehicle. There will be no difference.

It's light itself that poses the paradox. Yes, relative to the car the light would leave at the exactly speed of light. The paradox is that relative to a stationary observer outside of the car, the light would also be traveling at the exactly speed of light and to another observer moving at half the speed of light, the light would still be traveling at exactly the speed of light. That's relativity in a nutshell.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?: It trully does not matter of the bullet - it matters of the gun. Still, if you were to interperate this the way it's meant to be, then the bullet will simply leave a dent in the armour, althrough the armor would repel the bullet. If one or the other did what it was supposed to (bullet did get through, or armor did not even dent), then it can not be said that one or the other has the abilities that it is said to have.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?: This is a tricky one, because it really depends on what you mean by the Fountain of Eternal Life - what the fountain does could be interpated many ways. If it causes you not to die of old age, or it gives you you Eternal Youth, then you would die. But this sounds more like immortality - You would not die if this were interperated as a Fountain of Immortality. Or to go even further, you might die - but turn into a ghost and not "spiritually" die...

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?: The way I see it, this really says: "the mission is to not to accept this mission, will you accept?", then it depends... If the mission were accepted, then there would be no more mission to accept again. So I might as well accept it (just for fun). But if it were, "the mission is not to of have accepted this mission", then no, because then I would automaticly fail.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born. Time travel - of course. Well, it really depends on how exactly time works. But I think it wouldn't matter - the girl killed herself in another dimension.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?: Zero degrees again. But converted to celcius/farenheight, then doubled... well, then it would make a difference.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?: Now THAT is a true paradox.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?: The light then goes twice it's speed, or the same speed as the car. Hard to say - I don't know much about light.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)! : Uh... no clue. :P