BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

i might check into that. i say that the speed of light has no mass because i heard that from someone else' date=' i guess he was wrong.

A speed is a mesure of travel through space in a given time; the question of mass does not apply. It would be like saying my pants have an IQ of 130. It is true that light has no mass, and light moves at the speed of light. But for objects with mass, as speed increases so does mass, and so does the energy required to accelerate the object further. So much so that at the speed of light a massive object would be infinitely so, and thus require infinite energy to move. And that's why we can't go the speed of light. I think that's where the idea of no mass came from

Sorry, but I don't have the time to read all of the pages so this might have already been mentioned. About the girl killing her grandmother - who would kill their grandmother?!? Ok, that wasn't it. If you go back in time with any purpose and succeed then an eternal circle will be formed, not just by killing your ancestors. If I go back 1 year (any number will do) so that I can stop my pencil from falling out of my window and I succeed then in the new future I don't need to go back for that, but, if I don't go back then the pencil will fall, now I will go back... Besides, time travel is 99.9999999999999...% impossible. There is an infinitely small percentage possibility that time travel is possible. The only way that I know of that has proven that time travel is impossible is that humans have never been caught coming from the future. And, eventually, if we can travel through time, people would come back. Eventually someone would be caught. This is assuming that time travel is in fact impossible and not just humans are going to die out (along with the rest of the universe) before we discover it. This is wwhere there is a percentage of possibility. But it doesn't matter. Either way, no living or inanimate thing in the universe will ever travel through time.

Okay, I got to read a few more.

i might check into that. i say that the speed of light has no mass because i heard that from someone else, i guess he was wrong.

A speed is a mesure of travel through space in a given time; the question of mass does not apply. It would be like saying my pants have an IQ of 130. It is true that light has no mass, and light moves at the speed of light. But for objects with mass, as speed increases so does mass, and so does the energy required to accelerate the object further. So much so that at the speed of light a massive object would be infinitely so, and thus require infinite energy to move. And that's why we can't go the speed of light. I think that's where the idea of no mass came from

Light does have mass, however. If light has no mass, then explain a black hole. In the cwenter of the sun, where the light is made by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium atons, a small amount of mass is lost with each fusion. This mass is now light. But mainly with the black hole, we know they're real, we've "seen" them. So, how could they pull in the light if it has no mass? I know this all sounds quite rude and sarcastic, but it really isn't supposed to be, sorry about that.

But this reminds me of something I saw on a show on the Science channel. It said that if you could see someone fall into a black hole, then whenever they hit the precise spot where the hole's gravity is strong enough to pull in light, their image would forever be frozen so you would see them forever (if you looked at it forever). But this makes no sense to me. Their reasoning was that the light reflected by them at the last moment would be stuck there forever. I understand this, but I wouldn't be able to see it unless I fell through the exact spot that my friend fell in because the light has to move into my eye for me to see it, right? Well, I found a few other faults with the same series of shows, but I'll leave them alone for now since I can't remember what they were. But, can anyone tell me how the light would be stuck there AND I would be able to see it?

Okay, I got to read a few more.

Light does have mass, however. If light has no mass, then explain a black hole. In the cwenter of the sun, where the light is made by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium atons, a small amount of mass is lost with each fusion. This mass is now light. But mainly with the black hole, we know they're real, we've "seen" them. So, how could they pull in the light if it has no mass?

Light has an invariant mass of 0. Mass is what causes gravity, but why do you think light must have mass to be effected by gravity?? Gravity is not an attractive force between massive objects, gravity is a warping of spacetime. Massless light travels into a warped area, and while moving in a straight line from its perspective, bends to our perception. It really is very simple.

As for the sun, there is this crazy German, apparently you've not heard of him, but he has an outlandish formula that shows you can convert between energy and mass. He says that the energy inside any given sample of mass is equal to that mass times the speed of light times itself. In other words, there is a tremendous amount of energy locked up in every mote and particle in the universe. What the sun does in its celestial furnace is convert its mass to energy in an incredibly efficient manner. The result is the light and heat we enjoy so much on a midsummer's day.

If light had mass, how would you not violate the law of conservation of mass every time you switched on a light bulb???

What I don't understand is that all of these things are a two second google search away, why not investigate on your own instead of asking us to straighten you out?

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

It's simple actually. The bullet would hit the armor and both would keep traveling at the same speed as the bullet.

#7 is a Steven Wright joke. I asked my chemistry teacher about it and he said, because of relativity, your headlights would turn on, as normal, and the light would come out at twice the speed of light.

However, the question is impossible anyways, because for something to go the speed of light, ALL of it's mass must be converted to energy. The spaceship wouldn't even exist anymore.

Cliper first of all you should not asked a teacher , secondly you asked wrong teacher.The question wass from area of phisics not chemistry.Light is not a molecular form , but an energy.

see my answer below for complete explanation.

1.Hypothetically if such an armor would existed anything would be able to pas truth but withouth the penetration

of the pancir itself and without any damage to exterior or interior.

Explanation:

The purpose of the armor is not to actuly stop the bullet or disable the bullet from passing thru , but to keep the person

in it secured and unharmed as much as possible.

So hypothetically it would teleport the bullet behind it and both statements would be satisfied.

So theory that the shortest distance between two points , or dots AB is "the dots itself" must be used to makesuch armor.

2.it is a ferry tale.Nothing can't be ethernal , nothing lasts forever.

3.no , yes . whatever you chouse you can not complete it.

if you chose no than you didnt exept any mission

if you chose yes then a mission is a failure.

but what if the mission you wore supossed to not exept was not the one from the sentence.

(that was not a question that i dont know it is actualy used to make it more simple for you all to see the answer to the question above.)

4. The past exist only as the concequences of exsistens of something before the current time.Our memory , materia , energy , text and similiar.So there fore going backwards thru time is imposible.That is the reason why the answer to your theoreticly hypotheticall question is also imposible.

5.Zero multiplayed by any number iz Zero itself , and that zero used in temperatured is different than the one from the aritmetics.that zero ismade for the people in relation to the freezing point.

the real zero in temperature would bewhen there would be no temperature if the same aritmetic functions would be applyed to it.Becouse zero stands for nothing in maths.

6.impossible

7.It would be a miracle.Becouse everithing must be transformed into square zilions of different energy types so it would be ablle to be asembled into previous state.there would be no car , no one to "switch the lights on" and there would be no lights.

But hypoteticly when it would be possible the lights would not be as twice as wast as clipers

says that his teacher sad.(if true you got a very logicaly limited teacher.iq 80< at the particular point of time.How old are u clipers? , i dont think this is the forum for you , seriuosly let your brain develop before you start with this more - less endeles loops.)

the lights would not exist becouse the light speed is constant.And the light is an energy (as I already mentioned), so to move at that speed it would be neded much of an energy which would be manifasted as light based on fusion relativity.And one more thing : mass does not exsist only the force of energye.That is why the cosmic objects such as planets pull other objects.Not becouse of the mass.but becouse of the energy they posses.Ask your teacher to deffine mass and listen to what she will say.

And a question for you "if you fire a canon and a canon from the fired canon and another one, what will the speed of the last one be?

to be continued

* Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

answer: the bullet will not shoot through the armour. reason, the latest statement, which is the second statement about the armour being bulletproof dissolves the first statement.

* Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

no..a man can only live in the fountain of eternal life, if given the chance.

* Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

no i donot accept. mission accomplished.

* This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

if she went to past, she cannot go further than her own birth coz she doesn't exist before her birth. so however past she went, she went to a past where she and both her grandma existed. so she did the killing after she is born.

* If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

-8.8889celsius

0 degree celsius=32farenheit

double cold = temp becomes half=16 farenheit

16farenheit= 8.8889 celsius

* Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

no

* What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

no matter how fast you go ..your headlight is about 2 meter ahead of you always. so the light will always be in front.

* I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!

ok...let him do that.

re: number 7 what happens if you are traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

If you understand relativity, you will recognize that the speed you are traveling is meaningless in this equation. The light from your headlights will travel away from you at the same rate of speed as if you were standing still. You can never catch it. The same way you can drive a golf ball at 150 miles per hour inside an airliner that is traveling at 500 mile per hour. It does not mean that the golf ball is doing 650. It just means for "all practical purposes" you are standing still. Goodnite.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

Answer: a new universe

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

Answer:Now there is a question

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

Answer:yes I will not accept the mission, mission complete

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Answer:Well in Back to the future they seemed to fade out so it could happen in theory but then that de-stable the Temporal shift and we would all be trouble

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Answer: Colder than today by a factor of 2

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Answer: uncertain the word I am thinking is but the word I will more than likely say is hello when my wife comes home from work

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Answer: The light police will nick him and take away his driving license

8. I conclude with this challenge:Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

Answer: As if he is not busy enough already, let the guy be. As he all embracing he would see the futility of this act and not do it. Because if like me the stone would be somewhere in the way, like driveway.

This has already been answered: if a bullet exists that can penetrate anything then you cannot also have an impenetrable object exist (and vice versa). The existence of one precludes the existence of the other.

Also previously answered. He can die and then be revived by the fountain. Or it can be long agonising gurgle.

No.

And that does not then mean that I then accepted it. Just because the conditions of a job are met, that does not mean that you agreed to do the job. For example, if you order me to go south and I tell you stick it in your ear and walk away, does the fact that later that day I am found to be south of my original position mean that I obeyed your order. No.

Likewise, I refuse the mission - if it gets accomplished, even if it is by me, that's not my fault.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

This one relies on assuming that time travel is possible, alteration of the past is possible and that only one time line exists. Since none of these assumptions have been proven one way or the other, this one falls under the heading of "not enough information".

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Also answered earlier - "cold" is not a value with an implied base. You can have A cost twice as much as B because there is a cost value for A relative to a base ($0.00). X can be twice as hot as Y because there is a temperature value to A relative to a base (0 degrees Kelvin). But "cold", like "inexpensive" does not have a base. Items can't be twice as inexpensive, and they can't be twice as cold.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Nope.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Well, since it is not possible to a) have your car travel at the speed of light, B. be able to perform a time-dependent function while travelling at the speed of light, c) observe anything around you while travelling at the speed of light, then I file this question under "M" for moot.

8. I conclude with this challenge:Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

I answered this already. If he creates a pebble and then declares that he is not allowed to pick it up this meets all the required conditions.

If you want to take "Almighty" to refer to strength, then he could also create the "Ultimate Slippery Rock". He has the strength to lift it, but he can't get a grip on it.

If you want to take "Almighty" to mean "he can do anything", then he can attack the word "lift". Lift is defined as follows:

lift /l?ft/

–verb (used with object)

1. to move or bring (something) upward from the ground or other support to a higher position; hoist.

(<!-- m --><a href="http://www.dictionary.com" target="_blank">http://www.dictionary.com</a><!-- m -->)

So then, God creates a stone out of all the matter in the universe. Though he has the strength to lift it, there is nothing to "raise it above". He can't lift it.

re; God and the rock He can't lift.

All the replies are clever and really dance around the question. God is beyond time and space. The concept of him being in one place attempting to pick up (LIFT) an object He created is almost a paradox. He can't be confined, limited, or even self-limited because it is not in His nature to be so. His Power cannot be limited. His creative ability cannot be limited. His Presence in the Universe and beyond cannot be limited. Therefore there is only one conclusion; The one thing God cannot do is be who He is not.

OK, I can't remember where I read this but number 7 can't make any sense. Because Einstein states that anything with a mass cannot travel faster let alone as fast as light. Because if it has a mass, then it's speed cannot compare with light because that weight, depending on what it is you're making to try and make go faster than light, that weight will slow down itself no matter how light it is so that it can't compare it's speed at all towards light. Light doesn't have a mass, it isn't heavy, or light, it isn't any weight because it doesn't have one, it has no mass, weight or any friction to slow it down.

Oh and the number 4 one, that is a very bad idea. You'd end up disrupting the space time continum, possibly destroying the universe, possibly. The whole system would corrupt because of doing such a thing.

And as for the number 3 one, ehh, some person gave the same answer as I would have given a bit earlier in the post.

But how about this question: A genie who is forced to grant wishes and someone asks the genie, "I wish for you to not grant me this wish", what would happen? I got this question out of an Extreme Ghostbusters episode. No, I am not a child, it just happened to be on when I turned on the television a few mornings ago. SERIOUSLY!

But how about this question: A genie who is forced to grant wishes and someone asks the genie, "I wish for you to not grant me this wish", what would happen?
What would happen you say?

It would turn you into the Grandma from #4. Speculate from there.

<edit>I enjoyed the comments on all the questions.

I believe the multiple universe theory can apply to some of the paradoxes, as others suggested already.

As for the last one, God could make a rock out of all matter in the universe. Then there would be nothing left for him to lift it above, and he would destroy all of us in the process. You think he would do that?</edit>

it is possible to drown in the fountain of life..... u can only live forever if u drink from the fountain right then assume he seals his mouth and jumps into the fountain he could get the water into his system by his nose, he didnt actually drink it, so he would drown

But how about this question: A genie who is forced to grant wishes and someone asks the genie, "I wish for you to not grant me this wish", what would happen?

What would happen you say?

It would turn you into the Grandma from #4 . Speculate from there.

<edit>I enjoyed the comments on all the questions.

I believe the multiple universe theory can apply to some of the paradoxes, as others suggested already.

As for the last one, God could make a rock out of all matter in the universe. Then there would be nothing left for him to lift it above, and he would destroy all of us in the process. You think he would do that?</edit>

all the genie has to do is walk away

no #1 is actually easy.

Bullet is made that can pierce through ANYTHING (at the time, obviously, who knows what armor will be invented in the future)

Then armor is made that can defend against ANYTHING (even the bullet, no, it was probably made especially for the uber bullet)

Then a new bullet is made that can pierce ANYTHING...etc

it's like co-op evolution... the prey gets something so the predator gets something to match

about that temperature if it would be celsius you calculate it in fahrenheit multiple it by 2 en calculate back tro clesius then you got the double temperature of 0 degrees celsius: 0 degreees is 32 fahrenheit 64 fahrenheit = 17.77778 celsius taddaaa answer

1. In reality, these could never exist, for the sake of physics and chemistry and the fact that one must be an exception to the othern

2. Once again: Cannot exist! But if it could, I suppose not for the same reason you can't choke yourself. If you hold your breath you will be unconsious. Underwater you will swallow some water as you are unconsious and the magic will revive you. Further description cannot be provided without knowing the exact properties of this fountain.

3. "No comment."

4. While she was in the past fate would restrict her from killing her grandmother. This could never happen.

5. I suppose this refers to the difference between the temperature and room temperature which will double the following day.

6. "Negative"

7. This should have happened before you reached Mach1, but the photons of light would move against your car and cause it to deteriorate molecule by molecule. This should have happened through friction, or at the latest, when you tried to break the sound barrier. The vibrations produced by movement of the car would colide with the car itself causing what seems to be a collision with thin air causing a major wreck and a loss of a really fast vehicle.

8. Sorry, but what if you do not believe in god?

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. It could not be true. If there is a bullet that can go through anything, then there cannot be a shield that can protect anything, or vice versa.

2. There is no such thing as a "fountain of eternal life"

3. If your mission is to not accept the mission, than you would not accept. You have completed the mission - Even if you have not accepted it.

4. Saying that there is such a thing as time travel, the second the girl went into the past and killed her grandmother, she, her mother, her grandmother, and any blood relation would "disappear".

5. This one is nonsense. If it were 0 degrees, no weatherman in his right mind would say that it would be twice as cold tomorrow, as 0 times 2 is 0.

6. This is paradox and cannot be answered truthfully with only 2 options.

7. Nothing would happen. You are going the speed of the light your headlights are going, so it is like you have a car that goes 1 mile in one hour. Say you are racing the car, and you walk 1mph. Once both you and the car reached the mile-limit, you would be even. Once you "dropped out" of the speed of light, your headlights would come on.

8. This is absolutely impossible. There is nothing that God cannot do - And I pity you for thinking that there is.

2. There is no such thing as a "fountain of eternal life"

That doesn't matter. There also aren't liars that are incapable of telling the truth or truthtellers that are incapable of lying. Hypothetical situaations don't make riddles not valuable as brain teasers.

3. If your mission is to not accept the mission, than you would not accept. You have completed the mission - Even if you have not accepted it.

But you can not complete the mission without accepting it. The answer is the same as the answer you gave for question #6. It's a paradox.

4. Saying that there is such a thing as time travel, the second the girl went into the past and killed her grandmother, she, her mother, her grandmother, and any blood relation would "disappear".

If she killed her grandmother before giving birth to her mother, how could she exist?

5. This one is nonsense. If it were 0 degrees, no weatherman in his right mind would say that it would be twice as cold tomorrow, as 0 times 2 is 0.

You misunderstand what it means to be "twice as cold". When we say it's 0 degrees out, we're speaking in terms of either farenheit or celcius. If it is 0 degrees C outside and tomorrow it will be twice as cold, that means there will be half as much heat in the air and it will be -136.58 C

7. Nothing would happen. You are going the speed of the light your headlights are going, so it is like you have a car that goes 1 mile in one hour. Say you are racing the car, and you walk 1mph. Once both you and the car reached the mile-limit, you would be even. Once you "dropped out" of the speed of light, your headlights would come on.

This is another hypoithetical question as nothing can go the speed of light, but if it could, your answer is incorrect. The light from your headlights will go at the speed of light in your reference frame.

8. This is absolutely impossible. There is nothing that God cannot do - And I pity you for thinking that there is.

The question did not say anyone thought there is something God cannot do. It said the opposite (God Almighty). You didn't answer the question.

Do you have any evidence that there is a god that can do anything? Faith is not evidence, btw.