BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

9 answers to this question

Every thing that is typed in this line is false.

Yes, this is possible. If you like playing with semantic (and it just so happens that I do).

Obviously, if the statement is true and the statement is in the line (which it is) then the statement would be false - leading to a paradox.

However, if the statement is false then it would be okay. So, to avoid a paradox, we need the statement to be false, which means that something in the line has to be true.

Fortunately, slayer gave us an out. The period. It is typed, but is not an integral part of the statement "Every thing that is typed in this line is false". See, I just wrote it without the period and it still held the same meaning.

Therefore, the period is true. This makes the statement a lie. Paradox averted. Universe saved. I'm a hero.

Every thing that is typed in this line is false.

Yes, this is possible. If you like playing with semantic (and it just so happens that I do).

Obviously, if the statement is true and the statement is in the line (which it is) then the statement would be false - leading to a paradox.

However, if the statement is false then it would be okay. So, to avoid a paradox, we need the statement to be false, which means that something in the line has to be true.

Fortunately, slayer gave us an out. The period. It is typed, but is not an integral part of the statement "Every thing that is typed in this line is false". See, I just wrote it without the period and it still held the same meaning.

Therefore, the period is true. This makes the statement a lie. Paradox averted. Universe saved. I'm a hero.

Clever. B))

You're correct in that the assertion's opposite is "something in this line is true", rather than "everything in this line is true" which would maintain the paradox.

And welcome back to the boards, cpotting - LTNS!

Well, it's only true if you're not yelling ;)

I am just thinking literally......

'Every thing that is typed in this line is false.'

Well my answer is No, there are other things (words) also.

There is just one false.

And welcome back to the boards, cpotting - LTNS!

Thanks. Been busy trying to switch jobs and almost having to move back to the other side of the continent.

I like answers from Lost in space and atulchaudhary as well. You just have to love the lattitude that English allows for interpreting sentences. Have you ever seen the apochryphal story of "time flies like an arrow"?