BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Twins

rookie1ja

Twins - Back to the Logic Puzzles

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time (Edit: of course, not both at once - one right after the other - you know what I mean ;) ), in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Twins - solution

The two babies are two of a set of triplets.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we say that that the two babies were born in different months of the same year (like one born in Jan, the other in Dec) as the question doesn't specify anything about the months.

Can't we say that that the two babies were born in different months of the same year (like one born in Jan, the other in Dec) as the question doesn't specify anything about the months.

Riddle amended - "months" added.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to be a stickler here... Unless a C-section happened, this is impossible. Two people cannot be born at the exact same time from the same mother. I happen to know triplets, and they are all about 8 minutes apart. Just being picky, I know.

They could also not be human-- if they were puppies for example, you wouldn't consider them twins. Not as elegant as the actual solution, but it's still a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

couldn't you still say that

AB are twins

AC are twins

and

BC are twins?

ABC are triplets, but separate, AB can still be considered twins, right? maybe not, i'm just saying.

your logic is correct but that becomes a completely different argument. but yea, definately not likely to be born at the exact same time, same day and year with same mother is enough, the time element falsifies the question.

If one child passes away, are they still called "triplets", or would you then refer to them as "twins"? I think two of the children could still be referred to as twins even if they part of a triplet set.

couple of things... I guess I am reading into this too far

1. can't be born at same time

2. no mention of human or not

3. a little farther out there - no mention of demensions

sorry spent some time on this and settled on # 2 (thought was a dog)

It does say in the same month

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time, in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

Sorry to blow up your thought

they took an egg from her and cloned her at the same time the clone was pregnant so ... when she gave birth, the clone was also allowed out of the growing vat and thus "born"

It does say in the same month

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time, in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

Sorry to blow up your thought

Sorry, Todaysdiscountdeals (yesterdays inflated price perhaps, actually you are not blowing anyone's "thought" but your own and only showing your lack of proofreading abilities! If you look carefully you will see that rookie1ja clearly acknowledges pranavojha's point and states that the question has been amended in light of pranavojha's comment!!! So pranavojha's was spot-on

Riddle amended - "months" added.

Perhaps in future you should think before you leap in with both feet to find fault with others!!! Just a thought?

Twins - Back to the Logic Puzzles

Twins - solution

The two babies are two of a set of triplets.

It is conceiveable that this could happen and the babies be born at exactly the "same time" without the trick trip up of it being triplets or quads or cat/dog or whatever.

If say two eggs were fertilised (or one fertilised egg split into two) and one egg became absorbed and part of the internal body of the other embryo, then it is possible that a baby would be born with another baby within it and these would be born to the same mother, on the same day at the same time in the same month and year and yet not be classed as "twins".

This has happened in reality but obviously the absorbed baby is no longer a living entity!

See this link for an example of such a case: <!-- m --><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/82927/baby_inside_a_man/" target="_blank">http://www.metacafe.com/watch/82927/baby_inside_a_man/</a><!-- m -->

I know its a long shot but obviously there has to be some type of answer so here is my solution: The second child is adopted... The birth mother was giving birth to one child while the other was giving birth "same time" also it would be said the the child was born to the same mother. Even though it would be a very very very very rare and meraculous coincedence it is possible!