Colorful Elephants

Question

Posted · Report post

There are 1200 elephants in a herd. Some have pink and green stripes, some are all pink and some are all blue. One third are pure pink. Is it true that 400 elephants are definitely blue?

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The remaining 2/3 can be evenly split into 400 blue and 400 pink and green, but it is also possible that there are 23 blue elephants and 777 pink and green. There is no "definite" here.

Posted · Report post

The remaining 2/3 can be evenly split into 400 blue and 400 pink and green, but it is also possible that there are 23 blue elephants and 777 pink and green. There is no "definite" here.

your 'observation' is only valid if those were the only colors allowed. For all we know, there is one blue, one pink and green and 798 grey elephants.

Posted · Report post

your 'observation' is only valid if those were the only colors allowed. For all we know, there is one blue, one pink and green and 798 grey elephants.

If there are other observable colors, my observation is still valid; it need merely be adjusted to fit the amount of colors. Unless, of course, there are at least 400 other discernible colors, then it is obviously not true.

If there is only 1 other color, I could observe as such: 400 Blue, 200 Grey, 200 Pink and green.

If there are 399 other colors, I could observe: 400 Blue, 1 Pink and green, 1 each of 399 other discernible colors.

Like I said: There is no "definite" here.