BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

What are the elements of a good puzzle or riddle? Do they need to employ logic, numbers or words? Should the answer be obtained only after taking multiple steps or should it be built upon the most basic of foundations? Is it best to be structurally complex or simply elegant? I think it was the artist Samuel F.B. Morse who first said “A puzzle should excite the brain and enliven the spirit” Later Pingala would take his remarks a step further and claim that “brain and spirit are the binary elements of a good riddle.

With the right ingredients an enticing riddle can always be formed, but is there one element that is a requirement? I think the clues to that may remain hidden.

XR,QA,YR,GK,NJ,B,KZ,CE,O,K,DY,CNT,N,MV,X,OU,ML,K,NOI,KP

Prof. T

15 answers to this question

spirit

its a nice puzzle........ i think it will take a lot of time to unfold the answer

Well, that's not the answer in this case. Judgments on this puzzle may have to wait until a solution is drawn out. Some riddles are surprisingly simple once the clues are known. We should probably discuss how one should go about giving adequate clues without revealing too much.

You're getting ahead of yourself. I personally think the clues should be established and highlighted first before proceeding on so there is a progression to the decoding.

Feel free to share your thought processes.

Well, the clues shouldn't be so obvious at first glance, but with a little research or understanding there should be some serious warning flags--mostly facts that aren't precisely truthful or are misleading. Those are the items that make you wonder "Why did the author include it in the puzzle?" And those are the things upon which you should focus. Of course, a doubly clever author could do the very same knowing that the reader would focus on those misleading tidbits (pun intended).

Another clue might be in the double meaning. A puzzle can have a complex structure, as you mentioned, and some words can have many meanings. This is something that I'll have to ponder.

am still pondering the final answer. this is a most excellent puzzle Prof. Templeton! fear it has not gotten the attention it deserves. seem to remember you suggesting outlining any processes along the way so thinking you won't mind the spoiler below.

highlight the OP to reveal the hidden cyphertext

am still pondering the final answer. this is a most excellent puzzle Prof. Templeton! fear it has not gotten the attention it deserves. seem to remember you suggesting outlining any processes along the way so thinking you won't mind the spoiler below.

highlight the OP to reveal the hidden cyphertext

That is indeed step one.

Two more steps needed, which are hinted at in the OP, and from there the actual word riddle is found. I assume, based on your previous guess, that you have gotten that far.

Molly Mae does have the answer.

Edit: sp

Edited by Prof. Templeton