BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I have tried my hardest to search this forum for the answer but I can't find it!

A friend of mine is driving me crazy with a brain teaser. He asked me to multiply random unit numbers together until i got to a nine digit number, he then told me to remove one number, then within seconds he told me what that missing number was. I thought it was something to do with the number 9, but i'm told told not. The only clue he has given me is PI !!!!!!!! This has now been driving me nuts for about two months.

He also said it works if you have an 8 digit number!

Any help on how he does this would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance!

Kate

17 answers to this question

It actually does have to do with 9s. He is depending on you picking a 9 as one of your numbers or some 3s and 6s. Your 9 digit number will be a multiple of 9. When you took out your number and gave him the rest of the numbers, all he had to do was subtract the sum of those numbers from the next multiple of 9. So if your 9 digit number was 489888000, and you take out the 4, the total of what you give him is 41. The next multiple of 9 is 45. 45-41=4. If you pick one of the 0s, your friend has a problem though because he wouldn't be able to tell if you took out a 0 or a 9.

It was a trick performed on Pi Day.

Edited by Thalia

It was me! I really shouldn't tackle these problems after having a couple of glasses of wine! Thank you so much for your help! I am going to kill him when i speak to him next! Totally was throwing me with the Pi statement! lol!

We are currently having a discussion about BODMAS we were set the question of 5+5+5-5+5+5-5x0 which i say is 15 because of using BODMAS - i am right aren't i?

We are currently having a discussion about BODMAS we were set the question of 5+5+5-5+5+5-5x0 which i say is 15 because of using BODMAS - i am right aren't i?

Is BODMAS the order of operations? Sorry. I'm used to hearing PEMDAS.

5+5+5-5+5+5-5x0

There are no parenthesis or exponents so multiplication and division are first.

5+5+5-5+5+5-0

That leaves addition and subtraction

15-5+10=20 Close but not quite.

... use order of operations. 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 * 0 = x

multiplication and division first, in a left to right pattern

5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 0 = x

add and subtract like terms

15 - 5 + 10 - 0 = x

10 + 10 - 0 = x

20 = x

Unless I'm missing something and need to re-take basic algebra, the answer is 20.

Edited by Darth Legion

Okay now i'm not sure whether he is pulling my leg or not but he says that i'm wrong and that he would be able to guess the missing number even if i used multiples of 2 4 5 7 8 so how would that work?

He also said there is another trick using 7's?

Any help gratefully received.

Kate

Going back to my original post - i gave him the following numbers 55073176 (one number has been removed, this was originally a 9 digit number) and he still got the missing number, i purposely did not include numbers 3 6 or 9 when arriving at this number, so he hasn't used the Pi day trick!

Confused!