BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Aaryan

Question

Baddies (BTSC +NK) WinCon=Majority

Baron Vengeous – Out to set free the Faceless ones, RID Kill.

Billy-Ray Sanguine – A crazy psychopath,his ability to move underground like a mole makes him able to follow the player of his choice undetected (follow spy on odd nights, role spy on even)

Dusk – A freelance vampire, he works for Vengeous. He can knock out the player of his choice (block).

Goodies WinCon=Eliminate Baddies

Skulduggery Pleasant – Has a grudge against the Baron, RID Kill every Night

Valrykie Cain – Still a novice sorceress, she cannot do much. Vanilla, but BTSC with Gordon. If Gordon dies, she gets his power. If she dies, the power is lost.

Gordon Edgley- An imprint of the real Gordon Edgely’s soul, he is only known to Valrykie. He has a silver tongue, and he can convince an Indy to join the BTSC and become a Goodie.

Tanith Low – An expert with the sword, she’s not a fan of killing. Block

China Sorrows – Enchantingly beautiful, she can get any character to tell her their role. Role Spy

Mr. Bliss – His superhuman strength allows him to trap the player of his choice. (Save+block target, target cannot vote or speak.)

Kenspeckle Grouse – A magical doctor, he can save the player of his choice.

Finbar Wrong - A Sensitive, he has the power to envision the future. He can also steal the power of one player.

Indies (separate WinCon, but if recruited their WinCon changes to that of their new faction)

Vaurien Scapegrace- WinCon: Last man standing out of Valrykie, Skulduggery, and him.

Calls himself the “Killer Supreme” but is really inept at murder. He has a grudge against Valrykie and Skulduggery for apprehending him. He is such a non-threat that it takes two lynches to kill him. If recruited, chooses between two-lynch or redirect.

Springheeled Jack – WinCon: Last man standing of Tanith Low and Sanguine

A mage with an obsession with killing, he is apprehended by Tanith Low and is tricked by Sanguine. Has a RID kill every night. If recruited he keeps his RID Kill.

The Torment – WinCon: Last man standing out of Valrykie and Baron Vengeous.

He hats the Faceless ones and the Ancients, and so neither wants Vengeous to succeed or Valrykie to live. He has a block every night. Keeps his ability if recruited.

The Grotesquery- WinCon: Survival.

Massive and almost indestructable. He has a NK and cannot die in the day. Cannot be recruited.

Edited by Aaryan

21 answers to this question

A few comments and questions regarding roles:

Valrykie Cain – Still a novice sorceress, she cannot do much. Vanilla, but BTSC with Gordon. If Gordon dies, she gets his power. If she dies, the power is lost.

Is the power lost if she dies while Gordon is alive? I imagine it isn't, but the wording is ambiguous.

Gordon Edgley- An imprint of the real Gordon Edgely’s soul, he is only known to Valrykie. He has a silver tongue, and he can convince an Indy to join the BTSC and become a Goodie

Is this a RID recruit? Or just a "choose-an-indy" recruit? If it's choose, can Gordon only choose one the whole game? If that's the case, when is the recruit chosen?

Finbar Wrong - A Sensitive, he has the power to envision the future. He can also steal the power of one player.

Steal or borrow? Does Finbar choose a new power each night, or whichever one he chooses N1 he keeps? Does he choose by player or by role? Does the player/role he steal from lose the ability for that night/the game?

Vaurien Scapegrace- WinCon: Last man standing out of Valrykie, Skulduggery, and him.

Calls himself the “Killer Supreme” but is really inept at murder. He has a grudge against Valrykie and Skulduggery for apprehending him. He is such a non-threat that it takes two lynches to kill him. If recruited, chooses between two-lynch or redirect.

Assuming recruit isn't pre-N1 (although I assume it is), what if Vaurien is lynched once and then recruited?

Massive and almost indestructible. He has a NK and cannot die in the day. Cannot be recruited.

Just an interesting indy. Does his wincon end the game? If not, I suspect that a Grotesquery + Baddie alliance would form. If I were a baddy, I'd out my faction to publicly recruit him.

Do any indy wincons end the game?

OOA? This is kind of important--the redirect might be powerful or it might be b/s. *Shrug*

What are your rules on redirecting spies? For example, if A spies B and X redirects A to Y, some hosts will tell A that B is Y's role. Other hosts will tell the spy that he was redirected and that Y is Y's role.

EDIT: Had a tag.

Edited by Molly Mae

A few comments and questions regarding roles:

Is the power lost if she dies while Gordon is alive? I imagine it isn't, but the wording is ambiguous.

If she dies while Gordon is alive, Gordon keeps his ability; but if he dies, the power is lost.

Gordon Edgley- An imprint of the real Gordon Edgely’s soul, he is only known to Valrykie. He has a silver tongue, and he can convince an Indy to join the BTSC and become a Goodie

Is this a RID recruit? Or just a "choose-an-indy" recruit? If it's choose, can Gordon only choose one the whole game? If that's the case, when is the recruit chosen?

RID Recruit. What I wrote was quite unclear about that, sorry.

Steal or borrow? Does Finbar choose a new power each night, or whichever one he chooses N1 he keeps? Does he choose by player or by role? Does the player/role he steal from lose the ability for that night/the game?

Borrow. When he chooses the person, he does not block them, and the next Night cycle he can use the ability and choose a new player's role to use.

Assuming recruit isn't pre-N1 (although I assume it is), what if Vaurien is lynched once and then recruited?

I figured it was a RID Recruit through the game. If he is lynched and then recruited he's pretty much vanilla.

Massive and almost indestructible. He has a NK and cannot die in the day. Cannot be recruited.

Just an interesting indy. Does his wincon end the game? If not, I suspect that a Grotesquery + Baddie alliance would form. If I were a baddy, I'd out my faction to publicly recruit him.

End the game

Do any indy wincons end the game?

All.

OOA? This is kind of important--the redirect might be powerful or it might be b/s. *Shrug*

RID Recruit > Save > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Baddie NK > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

What are your rules on redirecting spies? For example, if A spies B and X redirects A to Y, some hosts will tell A that B is Y's role. Other hosts will tell the spy that he was redirected and that Y is Y's role.

Y is Y's role.

Some unexpected answers in there, especially regarding these roles:

That might be a bit powerful, with three indies that can only be recruited to the goodies, especially if they gain BTSC.

Borrow. When he chooses the person, he does not block them, and the next Night cycle he can use the ability and choose a new player's role to use.

So his abilities stack? Can he use more than one action per night?

RID Recruit > Save > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Baddie NK > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

Is the baddie NK blockable? And I assume that RID Kills are blocking kills, as they are listed separately (yet continuous) in the OOA.

That might be a bit powerful, with three indies that can only be recruited to the goodies, especially if they gain BTSC.

hmm, maybe I could give baddies 1 recruit? Or maybe Gordon can Recruit them, but not add them to the BTSC?

For example: N1 he steals the power of X. N2 He uses X's and targets someone (not knowing X's power) and steal's Y's power for N3, etc. He does not keep the same power, and he cannot target the same person more than once.

Is the baddie NK blockable? And I assume that RID Kills are blocking kills, as they are listed separately (yet continuous) in the OOA.

Maybe. I think I will add that every Night the Baddies choose a carrier that could be blocked

Edited by Aaryan

hmm, maybe I could give baddies 1 recruit? Or maybe Gordon can Recruit them, but not add them to the BTSC?

*Shrug* That's your call. Perhaps making one Indy recruitable by the baddies wouldn't be terrible, as long as the indy hasn't been recruited (but the RID killer indy can't be recruited to the baddies?).

For example: N1 he steals the power of X. N2 He uses X's and targets someone (not knowing X's power) and steal's Y's power for N3, etc. He does not keep the same power, and he cannot target the same person more than once.

What are the advantages to targeting a player if you don't know what your ability is? How does this work for stolen day actions?

Maybe. I think I will add that every Night the Baddies choose a carrier that could be blocked

As it is now, the game could come down to 11 vs 3 vs 1 where the goodies have 5 in BTSC (clearly this is worst case scenario). I would leave the NK alone and leave it outside the OOA (with the exception of ... > Save [ > NK] ).

Edited by Molly Mae

*Shrug* That's your call. Perhaps making one Indy recruitable by the baddies wouldn't be terrible, as long as the indy hasn't been recruited (but the RID killer indy can't be recruited to the baddies?).

shrug.gifI don't really know. I guess I could make Jack recruitable to the Baddies.

What are the advantages to targeting a player if you don't know what your ability is? How does this work for stolen day actions?

I don't know. Seriously, I have no idea. I guess he could target a (goodie) role N1 and use it N1, etc. but he cant use the same role twice.

As it is now, the game could come down to 11 vs 3 vs 1 where the goodies have 5 in BTSC (clearly this is worst case scenario). I would leave the NK alone and leave it outside the OOA (with the exception of ... > Save [ > NK] ).

Ok.

RID Recruit > Save > [baddie NK] > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

Baddies (BTSC +NK) WinCon=Majority

Baron Vengeous – Out to set free the Faceless ones, RID Kill.

Billy-Ray Sanguine – A crazy psychopath,his ability to move underground like a mole makes him able to follow the player of his choice undetected (follow spy on odd nights, role spy on even)

Dusk – A freelance vampire, he works for Vengeous. He can knock out the player of his choice (block) and has the ability of RID Recruiting Springheeled Jack.

Goodies WinCon=Eliminate Baddies

Skulduggery Pleasant – Has a grudge against the Baron, RID Kill every Night

Gordon Edgley- An imprint of the real Gordon Edgely’s soul, he is only known to Valrykie. He has a silver tongue, and he can convince an Indy to join the BTSC and become a Goodie.

Tanith Low – An expert with the sword, she’s not a fan of killing. Block

China Sorrows – Enchantingly beautiful, she can get any character to tell her their role. Role Spy

Mr. Bliss – His superhuman strength allows him to trap the player of his choice. (Save+block target, target cannot vote or speak.)

Kenspeckle Grouse – A magical doctor, he can save the player of his choice.

Indies (separate WinCon, but if recruited their WinCon changes to that of their new faction)

Springheeled Jack – WinCon: Last man standing of Tanith Low and Sanguine

A mage with an obsession with killing, he is apprehended by Tanith Low and is tricked by Sanguine. Has a RID kill every night. If recruited he takes the cover of a random goodie when spied.

The Torment – WinCon: Last man standing out of Valrykie and Baron Vengeous.

He hats the Faceless ones and the Ancients, and so neither wants Vengeous to succeed or Valrykie to live. He has a block every night. Keeps his ability if recruited.

Massive and almost indestructable. He has a NK and cannot die in the day. Cannot be recruited.

OOA:

RID Recruit > Save > [baddie NK] > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

Edited by Aaryan

Okay, my last two questions (for now):

I don't know. Seriously, I have no idea. I guess he could target a (goodie) role N1 and use it N1, etc. but he cant use the same role twice.

This.....should be interesting, at least. Have you considered role steal where the player targets a role instead of a player? What happens if Finbar chooses to steal the action of player controlling Dusk and uses the ability on Jack--is the Indy blocked? Recruited? If yes, to which team? Is there BTSC? Same question(s) for stealing Gordon's ability?

Another query: Are players told that their actions is/was stolen? If so, when are they told (the night they were targeted by the role stealer or the following night when they don't get an action)?

I don't really know. I guess I could make Jack recruitable to the Baddies.

Would Jack still be recruitable to the Goodies as well? If not, I'd list in the RDs which roles are recruitable by which faction. If so, what happens if both factions recruit him on the same night? What happens if he's recruited to one faction and the other tries to recruit him? Will recruits show in the post?

Edited by Molly Mae

This.....should be interesting, at least. Have you considered role steal where the player targets a role instead of a player? What happens if Finbar chooses to steal the action of player controlling Dusk and uses the ability on Jack--is the Indy blocked? Recruited? If yes, to which team? Is there BTSC? Same question(s) for stealing Gordon's ability?

I'll add that in the Signups. He blocks Jack. Only Dusk can Recruit.

Another query: Are players told that their actions is/was stolen? If so, when are they told (the night they were targeted by the role stealer or the following night when they don't get an action)?

*shrug* I dont know if they'll be notified. And they will get an action. Finbar uses their role, but they can still use their role too.

I don't really know. I guess I could make Jack recruitable to the Baddies.

Would Jack still be recruitable to the Goodies as well? If not, I'd list in the RDs which roles are recruitable by which faction. If so, what happens if both factions recruit him on the same night? What happens if he's recruited to one faction and the other tries to recruit him? Will recruits show in the post?

I'll add that in the RD's in Signups. In the OOA, I'll add that Baddies go first. So if both recruits target him Baddies get him. If one faction recruits him and the other one tries to (and succeed's in the RID) it will tell the latter that they failed.

OOA:

Baddie RID Recruit > Goodie RID Recruit > Save > [baddie NK] > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

I'll add that in the Signups. He blocks Jack. Only Dusk can Recruit.

*shrug* I dont know if they'll be notified. And they will get an action. Finbar uses their role, but they can still use their role too.

Okay, seriously, last question--will you accept conditionals for this ability? Say I steal an ability from Cube on N1, but unbeknownst to me he has a day action (say vote mod x1-x3, as an example). I target Hirkala at night, but I'm also blocked (nothing happens). I don't know if I have a night or day action now. Can I say, "If applicable, make my vote x2" or would you not accept that, even if it was applicable? If yes, how many "if applicable" statements would you accept? If a RID Kill is stolen, will it always fail? Or will you accept a "target as role" (RID style) in case a RID ability is stolen? Can RID abilities be stolen? I'm gonna go read the RDs to see if this guy has any more strange conflicts...

Just as a compilation to show how this is grouped in my mind. So there is no day action. That clears that up. But RIDs and redirect (in the event that Scapegrace is recruited and chooses the Redirect)

EDIT: Where is the Redirect in the OOA? This was actually a big reason I asked about OOA....

Abilities that can be stolen (straight-forward):

Billy-Ray Sanguine – (follow spy on odd nights, role spy on even)

Dusk – (block).

Tanith Low – Block

China Sorrows – Role Spy

Mr. Bliss – trap

Kenspeckle Grouse – save

The Torment – block

The Grotesquery- NK

Abilities that might be stolen (confusing):

Baron Vengeous – RID Kill.

Skulduggery Pleasant – RID Kill

Vaurien Scapegrace - If recruited and chooses redirect.

Springheeled Jack – RID Kill.

Abilities that cannot be stolen:

Valrykie Cain – Vanilla,

Gordon Edgley- RID Recruit Indy to join the BTSC

Vaurien Scapegrace (if not recruited)

Abilities that, if stolen, would cause a paradox:

Edited by Molly Mae

EDIT: Where is the Redirect in the OOA? This was actually a big reason I asked about OOA....

Oopsie giggle.gif. Adding that.

OOA:

Baddie RID Recruit > Goodie RID Recruit > Save > [baddie NK] > Goodie RID Kill > Baddie RID Kill > Indy RID Kill > Redirect > Steal > Goodie Block > Baddie Block > Indy Block > Trap > Indy NK > Baddie Spy > Goodie Spy

Just as a compilation to show how this is grouped in my mind. So there is no day action. That clears that up. But RIDs and redirect (in the event that Scapegrace is recruited and chooses the Redirect)

Abilities that can be stolen (straight-forward):

Billy-Ray Sanguine – (follow spy on odd nights, role spy on even)

Dusk – (block).

Tanith Low – Block

China Sorrows – Role Spy

Mr. Bliss – trap

Kenspeckle Grouse – save

The Torment – block

The Grotesquery- NK

As for these, I cannot see a way out of it. So I guess it fails?

Abilities that cannot be stolen:

Valrykie Cain – Vanilla,

Gordon Edgley- RID Recruit Indy to join the BTSC

Vaurien Scapegrace (if not recruited)

As for Val and Gordon, it would say it failed.

If Finbar targeted Scapegrace would say it failed, but Wrong would take his 2-lynch ability in the day (unknowingly)

More or less a loop. And I would mod-kill whoever Finbar was if he did that. If redirected, we have a choice. Either he could simply not target anyone but I told he was redirected, or we can make him spontaneously combust and remove him from the game shrug.gif

As for these, I cannot see a way out of it. So I guess it fails?

I'd say accept actions from Finbar in the form of a RID. If the RID is required, you have it. If it's not required, don't use it.

More or less a loop. And I would mod-kill whoever Finbar was if he did that. If redirected, we have a choice. Either he could simply not target anyone but I told he was redirected, or we can make him spontaneously combust and remove him from the game

Where would you break the loop, though? Read it this way: If A blocks A, does A's action show in the night post? If it does, his action was both successful (it shows in the post) and not successful (his target wasn't blocked). If it doesn't show, his action was both successful (his target was blocked) and not successful (his own action didn't show in the night post). Yes, it's a loop, but it isn't one you can really break by OOA.

I'd say accept actions from Finbar in the form of a RID. If the RID is required, you have it. If it's not required, don't use it.

Sure.

Where would you break the loop, though? Read it this way: If A blocks A, does A's action show in the night post? If it does, his action was both successful (it shows in the post) and not successful (his target wasn't blocked). If it doesn't show, his action was both successful (his target was blocked) and not successful (his own action didn't show in the night post). Yes, it's a loop, but it isn't one you can really break by OOA.

It would say: Finbar found Player A and stole his action, or the same for anything else. It wouldnt do anything useful, so it doesnt matter.

Sure.

I guess this doesn't work for the redirect, though. Hmm..

I donno...

Maybe....

.....something....

...there has to be a fix for this guy. =P

Maybe the way you had it was good. He can't steal RID Kills or Redirect. Or role steals.

Pardon me if this was asked already it is kind of hard to keep track of everything.

Does the Indy's wincon change after recruitment? Otherwise recruiting the Indy gives them one of the ID's they need to outlive.

edit - nvm I just noticed it. You had it Green so my mind linked it with just that one character when it applied to all of them.

Edited by curr3nt