BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I was at a great party the other day to celebrate my friends birthday. At the start of the night she cut up an apple pie and gave everyone a piece. Since we had all just arrived when we were issued with the pie we didn't want to eat it. We left it on the table and went off to party!!!

Later on, when I started to feel a little hungry, I went to take a bit of my piece of pie but when I got to the table and found my plate I discovered that someone had already ate my piece of pie!!!

I ran to the CD player and stopped the music exclaiming,

"STOP! STOP! One of you have ate my piece of pie"

Then I went around the room questioning everybody to see if I could figure out who ate my pie.

Person A said:Well it wasn't me and C definately didn't do it.

Person B said:If I told you I ate it I'd be lying and anyway I arrived late. I never knew about the pie.

Person C said:B arrived late and didn't know about the pie and D didn't do it.

Person D said:It was not me! Oh, and by the way, C is lying.

Someone is lying! Only one person is lying and if they are lying then everything they say is a lie. Can you figure out who is lying and who ate your pie.

:thumbsup: Please enjoy solving this and don't spoil it for other people. USE SPOILERS if you think you know the answer!!

xx Good Luck xx :thumbsup:

20 answers to this question

This is impossible, perhaps you had a typo?

Reason this is impossible.

A can't be lying because if he was then two people would've ate the pie. If D was telling the truth then C is lying and B did do it, but that isn't possible. If C was lying then D must be lying too. If B was lying, then C is lying with him

This is impossible, perhaps you had a typo?

Reason this is impossible.

A can't be lying because if he was then two people would've ate the pie. If D was telling the truth then C is lying and B did do it, but that isn't possible. If C was lying then D must be lying too. If B was lying, then C is lying with him

If D is telling the truth, then "C is lying" is true. But if C is lying, then "D didn't do it" is a lie, so D is guilty. But if D is guilty, then D's statement "It was not me" is a lie. But we already established that D is telling the truth. Contradiction.

If D is lying, then "C is lying" is a lie, so C is telling the truth. But if C is telling the truth, then "D didn't do it" is true, meaning that D is innocent. But if D is innocent, then D's statement "It was not me" is true. But we already established that D is lying. Contradiction.

D & C statements cannot conform to the rules you laid out.

C - states D did not do it,

D - states D did not do it, and C is lying.

So if C is truthful, D is 1/2 truthful (about D not doing it), and 1/2 lying about C being a liar. this cant work, becasue the person is either all truthful or all lying

So if C is lying, D is 1/2 lying (about D not doing it), and 1/2 truthful about C being a liar. again D must be completely truthful or completely lying. No half and half per the OP

You are lying. You ate your own pie and claimed that someone else did.

Actually this does not fit entirely, as this means everyone else has to be telling the truth. As has been pointed out previously, it is not possible that both C and D are telling the truth. It is also not possible that only one of them is lying.

Edited by Magic Man

You are lying. You ate your own pie and claimed that someone else did.

Actually this does not fit entirely, as this means everyone else has to be telling the truth. As has been pointed out previously, it is not possible that both C and D are telling the truth. It is also not possible that only one of them is lying.

If Riddle_Lover is lying, then it doesn't matter if only half of C's statement is true. Riddle_Lover is lying about their veracity, as well as everything else.

If Riddle_Lover is lying, then it doesn't matter if only half of C's statement is true. Riddle_Lover is lying about their veracity, as well as everything else.

If the one making the accusation is indeed the one who is lying and the one who ate the pie, then everything he says could potentially be a lie. Maybe his recitation of the answers of the other guests is a lie. Maybe his claim that only one person is lying is itself a lie.

Therefore, I stick with my original answer. You are lying and you ate your own pie. You dishonest thief!

If D is telling the truth, then "C is lying" is true. But if C is lying, then "D didn't do it" is a lie, so D is guilty. But if D is guilty, then D's statement "It was not me" is a lie. But we already established that D is telling the truth. Contradiction.

If D is lying, then "C is lying" is a lie, so C is telling the truth. But if C is telling the truth, then "D didn't do it" is true, meaning that D is innocent. But if D is innocent, then D's statement "It was not me" is true. But we already established that D is lying. Contradiction.

That the person who is lying doesnt have to be the one who ate the pie. And to lie you only need one part to be a lie. So I think C is lying saying B arrived late and didnt know about the Pie. But telling the truth that D didnt do it and B ate the pie.

D.

just. assume A is correct, try check b,c,d to look concise.

Do it for b,c,d.

Only d is concise

I was at a great party the other day to celebrate my friends birthday. At the start of the night she cut up an apple pie and gave everyone a piece. Since we had all just arrived when we were issued with the pie we didn't want to eat it. We left it on the table and went off to party!!!

Later on, when I started to feel a little hungry, I went to take a bit of my piece of pie but when I got to the table and found my plate I discovered that someone had already ate my piece of pie!!!

I ran to the CD player and stopped the music exclaiming,

"STOP! STOP! One of you have ate my piece of pie"

Then I went around the room questioning everybody to see if I could figure out who ate my pie.

Person B said:If I told you I ate it I'd be lying and anyway I arrived late. I never knew about the pie.

Someone is lying! Only one person is lying and if they are lying then everything they say is a lie. Can you figure out who is lying and who ate your pie.

:thumbsup: Please enjoy solving this and don't spoil it for other people. USE SPOILERS if you think you know the answer!!

xx Good Luck xx :thumbsup:

Well done!

I really love that puzzle and want to say WELL DONE! to everyone who got it!

When people read the puzzle and find out that one of the people are lying, they assume that the lier is A, B, C or D

The puzzle says,"Someone is lying! Only one person is lying and if they are lying then everything they say is a lie"

It really means that the words that come out of the lier's mouth are lies.

When people read the puzzle and find out that one of the people are lying, they assume that the lier is A, B, C or D however there is another person at the party.

It is impossible for A, B, C or D to be lying without more than one of them lying so it must be the only other person at the party.

The only other person at the party is me. I am the one who is lying.

I say,"One of you have ate my piece of pie"

I really have ate the pie myself and am lying by saying that someone else ate my pie.

WELL DONE to everyone who thought that I was the one who was lying! :thumbsup:

Well done!

I really love that puzzle and want to say WELL DONE! to everyone who got it!

When people read the puzzle and find out that one of the people are lying, they assume that the lier is A, B, C or D

The puzzle says,"Someone is lying! Only one person is lying and if they are lying then everything they say is a lie"

When people read the puzzle and find out that one of the people are lying, they assume that the lier is A, B, C or D however there is another person at the party.

It is impossible for A, B, C or D to be lying without more than one of them lying so it must be the only other person at the party.

I say,"One of you have ate my piece of pie"

I really have ate the pie myself and am lying by saying that someone else ate my pie.

WELL DONE to everyone who thought that I was the one who was lying! :thumbsup:

Now then, if D is telling the truth, C is lying. If not, D is lying. That means 2 people lying....

Now then, if D is telling the truth, C is lying. If not, D is lying. That means 2 people lying....

That doesn't matter. The person who gave you the rules was lying. So their rules don't really count for anything. ie "only one person is lying" and "all statements made by the liar are false".

That doesn't matter. The person who gave you the rules was lying. So their rules don't really count for anything. ie "only one person is lying" and "all statements made by the liar are false".

I take your point. But if "only 1 person is lying" is false, .....well

Edited by fabpig

Well how could you conclude anyone was lying in the first place if the person telling you the riddle is lying.

Would it really be a riddle if the person telling you it was lying? It's always possible, but that's not the point of a riddle

]I'm so sorry I've just realised this now but I did make a mistake when typing.

I typed:

It's supposed to be:

Person D said:It was not me! Oh, and by the way, C isn't lying.

Once again, I dead sorry I've waited sooo long to realise my mistake.

When people read the puzzle and find out that one of the people are lying, they assume that the lier is A, B, C or D.

Person D said:It was not me! Oh, and by the way, C isn't lying. (Sorry for mistake)

The words that come out of my mouth are,"One of you have ate my piece of pie"

I really have ate the pie myself and am lying by saying that someone else ate my pie.[/spoiler

Really, really sorry for my mistake xx