BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

OmegaScales

Question

RECAP: Brian Marrilas hired you to find his girlfriend, Sarah Knight. After finding her in Brian’s father’s secret room, you learn that Matthew, Brian’s father, was trying to get Sarah’s parents, who are very wealthy, to give her money they had cut her off from. You left the hospital room and met up with the Chief of Police, who offered a consult position on the force, and a new case…

One more thing before we begin. I am going to name recurring characters as I think up names. Like the chief will be Gregory, although I haven’t thought of a surname for him.

“So what do you say, Leslie?”

You sigh and hold out your hand. “Fine.”

“I knew the case would do the trick,” he says, handing a file to you. You notice a large red stamp on it that says ‘CONFIDENTIAL’.

“C-confidential? You’re giving me a federal case?”

“Not me. My higher ups decided that you’re the right person to trust for this case. I don’t know why they trust you for it, since I don’t know what’s in there. All I can tell you is that if you don’t intend to play by their rules, don’t open that file. I’ve lost a few friends who simply got curious about something. I don’t want the same to happen to you.”

Even though you normally find him creepy, you’re happy he cares about you.

A note attached to the file said to open it at home, ‘where they aren’t watching.’ Inside you find several old newspaper clippings, along with some more recent ones. Some of the older headlines are: “Chief Found Murdered In Own Home”, “Cop Undercover, Or Under Covers?”, and “When You Thought It Was Safe At Home…” One of the newer headlines catches your attention: “Memorial Service to Be Held for Police Chief”. You remember attending it. Not out of respect, but because that man was your father. “What’s going on? Why am I looking at this?” you think out loud.

“That’s what we want you to find out.” You spin around, grabbing your gun, ready to pull the trigger. You see a man in the shadows of your living room, wearing a black Burberry trench coat, black leather shoes (you think they are Cole Haan), and a black fedora. “Everyone who has seen this file has wound up dead. We believe you may be able to do what they couldn’t: Find out why someone would kill over your father’s death, and bring in the killer.” The man steps forward and you can see his face. He has dark, custom-made glasses on, but you can see that he has a V-shaped scar running from his chin through the corners of his mouth and the centers of both his eyes. “Gregory was correct in telling you only to open the file if you are intending to play by our rules.” He puts a paper on the floor, and you see that he is also wearing black leather gloves. “Good luck, Detective.” The lights flicker off then on in less than a second, but the man is gone.

There’s no point in wondering how he got away (or in), but you really want to know who he was, don’t you?

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

1. Offer Greg some wine and hope he gets drunk.

2. Try to launch the wine into his gun to get the powder wet so it can't be fired. Not sure if it works that way.

3. Offer Greg some wine and hit him over the head with the bottle.

4. Attempt to shock him by arranging certain electronics on the floor along with the wine in front of the door.

I'm in favor of just hitting him over the head with the bottle.

I'll give you a hint from his perspective.

"So now she's handcuffed to the bed, and should wake up in a few minutes. Then, I'll give her a surprise that will stay with her for the rest of her life." Greg and his acquaintance laugh.

"Well, I wish you luck in your pursuit, sir. It has been an honor to help you."

"Thank you, Tartarus. I will reward you well when I come to power. Now be off with you. We both have much to do." Now, Leslie, I will take what you owe me, then you will never see the light of day again. I will toast to my victory, and you... you will feel the wind in your hair for the last time as you plunge to your death, he thinks to himself. He steps in front of the door, keys in hand...

What does Leslie owe him?

:blink: You don't want to know.

Use the TV to block the door. Then hit him over the head when he comes in. Maybe he'll run out of bullets by shooting the TV? Should I be trying something other than hitting him over the head?

That could work, except you would have to move the tv for him to get in, and he could shoot you before you're ready to hit him. But my plan does involve hitting him from behind on the head.

Well, since dying doesn't seem to have much of a consequence here, I guess it doesn't hurt to try. =.='

You can keep trying until you either get to my plan, or something I can't think to get around.

Hide in the dresser and when he walks through the room looking for you, surprise attack him and hit him over the head.

Throw a paper clip at him and while he's still confused as to why you would be so stupid to throw a paper clip at a man with a gun, hit him over the head.

If these two fail, try throwing him out the window.

Why does Leslie have to hit him over the head with anything? If I'm understanding this correctly, she's already called the police (Maggie) and told them to get over here with as many cops as possible pronto.

If that's the case, then just stall. When he enters the room, just get him talking. This guy sounds like your typical megla-egomanic villian that you see in so many B movies. Instead of just killing the hero, he prattles on and on and on about his evil plans for world domination and talks long enough for the hero to escape.

pour most of the wine out the window pretend to be drunk and about to fall out the window then when he goes to catch you knock him out with the bottle

That would work if he wasn't going to kill you later.

Why does Leslie have to hit him over the head with anything? If I'm understanding this correctly, she's already called the police (Maggie) and told them to get over here with as many cops as possible pronto.

If that's the case, then just stall. When he enters the room, just get him talking. This guy sounds like your typical megla-egomanic villian that you see in so many B movies. Instead of just killing the hero, he prattles on and on and on about his evil plans for world domination and talks long enough for the hero to escape.

You don't even know if your still in the same county. For all you know, you could be on the other side of the country.

He's similar to those guys, but he's not an idiot and won't waste time talking. Did you notice that he moved you after you woke up the first time? That's how agents and such are trained for certain missions; never stay in one place too long is one of the first rules, the very first being "don't get caught."

Hide and leave the window open. Hopefully he will go and look out of the window to see where you have gone. Then hit him over the head :)

This is the closest to my plan over all, but I'm going to say that the window only opens enough to slip your hand through. However, there is something faster than opening it...

Greg rushes in, going straight to the window. The wine bottle had done a good job at breaking a window designed to prevent sound from escaping. As he looks out the window, you hit him from behind on the temple, just hard enough to knock him out, but not kill him. Ten minutes later, local police arrive and take both you and Gregory into custody. With the evidence you gathered, including the recorded conversation, Greg is given 50 years in a high-security prison, and you are flown home. It turns out that he brought you three quarters of the way to the west coast.

A sudden discovery in the “hotel” you were held in extends his sentence to life. The discovery also brings ADX Florence in to pick Greg up. You try to investigate this discovery, but a piece of paper floats down in front of you before you can leave your office.

DO NOT INVESTIGATE. You will be placed on leave for a month. When you return to duty, a new case will be waiting for you.

–The Messenger–

~The End~

Don’t worry, there will be more ^_^ . I’m also going to try to use the SUDS Creator to make text-based games from these stories. Wish me luck! :D

P.S. If you can think of a name for Leslie's town that does not exist in the state of New Jersey, please tell me.

P.P.S. I also live in New Jersey. This is the only time I'll say this, and I will not tell anyone to check this post if they ask where I live, but anyone else can tell them to.