BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

there are times when we are in a somewhat permanent bad mood. Then, a potential recall of a happy moment at the past seems to both relief us temporally beit subconsciously-, as well as to make things worst, for we realise that we can't re-live it at the (very) present.

On the other hand, there are times when we are in somewhat permanent good mood. Then, a potential recall of a sad moment at the past, seems both to temporally lessen the good mood -be it subconsciously-, as well as in essence to make things even better, for we realise that this sad moment has passed away. It seems like an antinomy in the psychological realm..

8 answers to this question

I think, though, that the good makes you more sad than the bad makes you happy. No?
I agree. If you're depressed, remembering something happy just serves to remind you how far you have fallen. Unhappiness is a more stable condition than happiness I think. We have to work at being happy. Or maybe that's just me :(

In a way, I think I'm the opposite? Anticipation of the future, whether good or bad, never ceases to depress me. It might just be because I've been kinda down lately, but something happy that's about to happen makes me feel worse than something happy that has recently happened. The build-up just makes everything feel worse, whether I know I'm going to get into trouble or I know something awesome is going to happen.

Meh. The past doesn't really bother me all too much.

In a way, I think I'm the opposite? Anticipation of the future, whether good or bad, never ceases to depress me. It might just be because I've been kinda down lately, but something happy that's about to happen makes me feel worse than something happy that has recently happened. The build-up just makes everything feel worse, whether I know I'm going to get into trouble or I know something awesome is going to happen.

Meh. The past doesn't really bother me all too much.

I'm kind of like that too. But instead of anticipating things I'm sure are going to happen, I often imagine good things that could happen, then I feel sad when I realize that they probably(most likely) won't happen.

I anticipate things that I have no reason to believe won't happen, and just deep down I feel the world can't possibly go my way even though things usually seem to. I just.. don't let myself get excited over things anymore, meh. I have no idea if that's a side effect of (minor) depression or one of the causes, and don't really care enough to look into it.

Example (not personal). Stressing out, about life, the universe, etc. This anxiety can be assuaged by a little miracle pill, d-amphetamine. You've set up a plan to obtain some, an easy enough exchange. Consequently, you freak out over everything that can go wrong: relying on the meds and then not getting them, wrong meds, wrong dosage, lose your money, the guy loses the pills, etc. If everything goes smoothly, great, but what if: your sleeping schedule gets too messed up, someone notices, you get kicked out of school for academic dishonesty, you get addicted, you want to start using meth instead, you die, etc. Or, if you don't get the pills, you end up twice as stressed as before because now you've halved the time you have to do the work.

Meh. This is why I'll actually be pretty pissed if there's an afterlife. It needs to *end* sometime.