BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. A tear in time/space would be created, ending everything. lol

2. Depends on how this fountain works. If it works just by you being in contact with it then no. If it works by the water being swallowed then yes. If you breath it in, it is not neccessarily swallowed and therefore you could still die.

3. By accepting you fail, and by not accepting you still fail...So I have no idea.

4. Depends on what theory of time travel you believe. If you beleive that going back in time would change the future by everything being on the same timeline then it would create an infinite loop. If you beleive that going back in time would create a seperate timeline then nothing would happen and her grandmother would still be alive when she returned to her own time.

5. It's dependant on one's perception of cold. People at the poles probably wouldn't find 0 Degrees as all that cold.

6. Say "I will say no" and you'll have told the truth since the next word you said was "I"

7. I belive there would be light at the point where it is produced but the light would not go forward.

8. He would not be able to create a stone that He Himself could not lift or He would not be Almighty.

7.The real answer is that you won't be able to do it because nothing can travel at the speed of light...(If you want to know why Email me...)Even if it was possibale, In the speed of light nothing moves so if you will try to do it the only thing you will do is to start to move for turning them on, Only when you slowed down already, And I guess that you mean what happen if the headlights where realy on in speed of light and the aswer was that you wouldn't see anything you couldn't saw from before, Because the light wouldn't going any further from the car.(They were both travling in the speed of light...)
(English isn't your first language is it?)

To clarify this a little (because I find it fascinating stuff actually):

DummyNoob said "In the speed of light nothing moves"

What actually happens though is that when something moves at the speed of light (only possible for photons as far as we can tell) then it stops moving in time - that is from its own perspective time stops. You see even time itself is relative;

Lets imagine two people - I will use the same ones used in the book The Fabric of the Cosmos (Brian Greene) but the story itself is on my own words (so any errors are mine :lol: ) Bart Simpson on his jet powered skateboard holding a stopwatch, and Lisa standing there with another stopwatch

According to Lisa Bart zoomed around at the speed of light for one hour. From the perspective of Bart however he essentially teleported; at one instant he was at the start (ignoring the impossibility of instant acceleration from zero to light speed) the next he was one light hour away! The cool thing is that the stopwatches agree; one hour passed on Lisa's, none passed on Bart's at all!

How does that happen? Well it turns out that we are all (everyone and everything) moving at the speed of light through spacetime! When we are not moving at all in space (relative to the universe) then we are moving through time at the speed of light. when we move in space, that speed is subtracted from the speed we are moving in time! Move at half the speed of light in space, then we are only travelling at half the speed of light in time. From our two observers it would seem to Lisa that Bart has been travelling (at half light speed) for an hours, for Bart it has only been half an hour. And if we were to make this a longer voyage, say 10 years according to Lisa:

She would see him travel 5 light-years for ten years (half light speed for 10 years equals a distance of 5 light years) and she would now be 18 years old (Lisa being an 8 year old girl). For Bart however the trip would have only felt like 5 years long, and it would have been for him because he was travelling in time slower than Lisa. At the end he would be 15 (being 10 at the start). They could then meet up an Lisa would be 18 and Bart 15! Bart who started out as the older brother by 2 years is now the younger brother by 3 years! :blink: They really would have aged differently, it is not just that it appears so!

Another analogy is this:

Bart has a skateboard that can only move at one speed; 100 kph (or mph; doesn't matter) he travels north at 100kph. Then the road turns so he is moving in a North-Westerly direction. Due to the impossibility of him changing ihs total speed (100kph) this means that some of his Northerly speed is lost so as to be used for his Westerly speed. He is still moving at 100kph BUT is only moving north at ~70.71kph, plus moving west at ~70.71kph (that equals 100kph North-West [i hope ;) ]).

The trick is to see that the same holds true for spacetime. Think of "North" as "forward in time" and West as "any direction in space". Bart is stationary in space but moving at 100kph in time, he then "turns" to a direction of ~71kph in space, thus taking away some of his speed in time- now slowed to ~71kph as well! At both points he is moving at exactly 100kph in spacetime, but just as in the noth/west example some of his speed in one direction is shifted to the other direction, keeping the TOTAL speed constant.

The cool thing is that we ARE all governed in that way! We are moving at a set speed (the speed of light) but not in space, but rather in spacetime! When we only move in one direction we move at light speed in that direction, and ZERO speed in any other (that is obvious of course) So if we move ZERO speed in space then we are moving at light speed in time. And if we move at light speed in space (as in the paradox question) then we are moving at ZERO speed in time!

Does your head hurt yet? :lol:

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. One would disprove the other upon collision or maybe the universe would collapse lol

2. I wouldn't think so?

3. Uhh?? By not accepting the mission you would inadvertently accept the mission right? So, uhh... :wacko: :wacko:

4. I think it would have to lean on what version of time travel you believe in: Same timeline or split timelines.

Same timeline: If the girl goes back to kill her grandmother she would never be born to be able to go back to kill her grandmother which in turn would make it where her grandmother was still alive to give birth to her mother and would create some sort of loop

Split timelines: The girl would go back and kill her grandmother but would only affect the timeline she was currently in but not her own.

5. That's impossible to calculate an exact temperature since cold is up to each individual person's perception.

6. If you are restricted to just a one word answer: "Yes" or "No" then I'm not sure how to do that. But if not you could say, "My answer is no" and still be truthful.

7. I hate how everyone seems to use the argument "Nothing can go the speed of light." That's an excuse not to think about the question. Try to think about what would happen if it WERE possible. In that respect, I would think nothing would really happen. All one would see is the light at the filament but nothing would be coming from it in a forward direction.

8. I don't believe that God could create something that He was "Not capable of lifting" since He is God. He could, however, create a stone and say that He will not lift it.

A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother

This paradox could be solved in two ways...

1. She did not go back in time cause it is impossable.

2. She killed her grandmother after her mother was born.

Thank you ADParker! I am glad to hear there are more guys that find physics interesting.

You right I am realy not having english as my first language...

Contact me sometime if you may?

Ohh and agree with haldegon about 2 but with 8 its realy not sirius...

and about 5 you should notice that you can just use the avearge coldness feelings for all the world

Also you Laharl

Thank you ADParker! I am glad to hear there are more guys that find physics interesting.
You are most welcome. And yeah I love physics... and biology and... Just science, science is cool.

You right I am realy not having english as my first language...
Thought so :D

It did look like you understood it well, but didn't quite have the words for it. Your English is pretty bloody good by the way - I only speak one language, so you have me beat.

Ohh and agree with haldegon about 2 but with 8 its realy not sirius...
I agree that the answer to 2 is "it depends" but he is correct that the answer to 8 (if reworded as a question) is "No"

My answer to 8 (just so we don't go there again: by "True paradox" I only mean one that is really a contradiction)

and about 5 you should notice that you can just use the avearge coldness feelings for all the world

Also you Laharl

Indeed. My answer to 5

You are most welcome. And yeah I love physics... and biology and... Just science, science is cool.

Funny, That exactly what I am saying to my friends I realy like science but also other things as history, philosophy and actually almost all of the fields...

It will be nice if you will give me your messenger so we won't spam here too much XD

Ohhh and about 8 I think you were wrong because it is simple to compare it to a task for god as: "Can god make 1+1 to equal 3?" But what you are saying is that god couldn't be able to do it because this is a basic rule and he can't break it but the truth is that it is not to the human race wisdom to understand how he can do that because we can't "Get" the universe in another way than he is now.

Also you Laharl

What do you mean? Again...Coldness is up to the preception of each individual person. While I may find 32 F cold...Someone who lives at one of the poles would not find that cold at all since they are use to temperatures much lower than that.

Funny, That exactly what I am saying to my friends I realy like science but also other things as history, philosophy and actually almost all of the fields...
Love Philosophy as well (even got a degree in it.)

It will be nice if you will give me your messenger so we won't spam here too much XD
Ah, you can just send me a message by clicking on my alias you know. But I am not that interested in private conversations.

Ohhh and about 8 I think you were wrong because it is simple to compare it to a task for god as: "Can god make 1+1 to equal 3?" But what you are saying is that god couldn't be able to do it because this is a basic rule and he can't break it but the truth is that it is not to the human race wisdom to understand how he can do that because we can't "Get" the universe in another way than he is now.
No. You see the rock lifting problem is posed so as to appear to be a contradiction - it looks like doing both (infinite weight rock creations and rock lifting) are impossible - yes, just like making 1+1=3 or making a square circle is. But that is not the case.

I have discussed this before. Take a look at at these:

Refuting the Omnipotence of God

A simple question (that one was linked to in the earlier post in this thread I linked you to)

There is no "basic rule" being broken in this case. The mistake is in failing to see what the question is really saying, that is why I reworded in that post I linked you to, like thus:

Could God create a Rock that has a weight beyond the limits of his Stone lifting power?

in other words (as "god" is assumed tomean in the question):

Could "A being with no limits" create a Rock that has a weight beyond "the limits" of his Stone lifting power?

You see the question asks if god can do anything that exceeds his LIMITS, but it is assumed in the question that God has no limits at all! So the answer must be No!

Love Philosophy as well (even got a degree in it.)

Ah, you can just send me a message by clicking on my alias you know. But I am not that interested in private conversations.

No. You see the rock lifting problem is posed so as to appear to be a contradiction - it looks like doing both (infinite weight rock creations and rock lifting) are impossible - yes, just like making 1+1=3 or making a square circle is. But that is not the case.

I have discussed this before. Take a look at at these:

Refuting the Omnipotence of God

A simple question (that one was linked to in the earlier post in this thread I linked you to)

There is no "basic rule" being broken in this case. The mistake is in failing to see what the question is really saying, that is why I reworded in that post I linked you to, like thus:

Could God create a Rock that has a weight beyond the limits of his Stone lifting power?

in other words (as "god" is assumed tomean in the question):

Could "A being with no limits" create a Rock that has a weight beyond "the limits" of his Stone lifting power?

You see the question asks if god can do anything that exceeds his LIMITS, but it is assumed in the question that God has no limits at all! So the answer must be No!

I still disagree because if god is almighty then he could be able to break the "limits" i will show you a case for example if you take a circle and the get him infinite radious then he will have infinity longness so if you think about it realy good you will discover he will be 1 single straight line!

So how can it be it is impposible to human to understand that...

Just as it would be impposible to understand how gos is breaking those "limits".

And the true answer according to that is that he can creat a rock that he cant lift but also can lift it that because he have the power to do them both in some way that we won't be able to understand no matter how smart we are

I still disagree because if god is almighty then he could be able to break the "limits"
Well DummyNoob lies the very solution to the paradox. In this thought experiment God has no limits (that is implied by "God")

God can not create a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it. Not because he can't create a rock that heavy (he has no limits in rock creation) but because there is no limit to exceed (he can lift any weight also.)

You miss the whole point. You make the assumption that everyone who thinks there is no solution (and thus that it is logically impossible for there to be an all powerful god) tends to make - you think that any answer implies a limit, but my answer does not: It shows that there is no contradiction BECAUSE there are no limits, no limits to rock creating or lifting!

Perhaps another way of explaining it (which I thought of earlier today while doing the dishes) might help:

The paradox:

Can God (all powerful) create a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?

The typically assumed answers are

1. If "No" Then there is a limit to God's creating ability - his creating ability is less than his lifting ability

2. If "Yes" Then there is a limit to God's lifting ability, as he can create rocks that defeat it - his lifting ability is less than his creating ability.

Using Formal Logic and mathematics, which are related, we can quantify these results.

First we shall replace the abilities with variables:

A = God's Creating ability

B = God's Lifting ability

Thus we formulate the two numbered answers above like so:

1. (No) A < B (Creating ability is less that lifting ability)

2. (Yes) B > A or (A > B same thing) (Lifting ability is less than Creating ability)

BUT there is a third option isn't there? Something is missing. What if A is neither Greater or Lesser than B?! What if:

A = B

Well, that is what we have here is it not?

A is infinite (no limit to creating ability) and

B is infinite (no limit to lifting ability)

A does equal B!

The question asks can A be greater than B? (Roughly anyway) the answer is NO, because they are equally infinite. In other words those who assumes the result of answer "No" failed to take into account the situation of both abilities being perfectly equal!

i will show you a case for example if you take a circle and the get him infinite radious then he will have infinity longness so if you think about it realy good you will discover he will be 1 single straight line!

So how can it be it is impposible to human to understand that...

Just as it would be impposible to understand how gos is breaking those "limits".

Uh, that's nonsense, that's why it would be impossible for humans to understand that.

And the true answer according to that is that he can create a rock that he cant lift but also can lift it that because he have the power to do them both in some way that we won't be able to understand no matter how smart we are
No; that is the typical answer from the believer who doesn't actually understand logic but assumes the conclusion anyway. They try to make up a story that seems to fit their assumed conclusion - its backwards: They start with the conclusion and then desperately try to make the reasoning and evidence fit it.

A quick fix: Ignore the idea that this "God" is real, is really the being you might believe in - because this is a thought experiment, the existence of the stuff in it doesn't matter. Make the question this:

Can SuperRabbit who has two infinite powers - one of creating rocks of any weight, and the other of lighting rocks of any weight - create a rock so heavy that he can't lift it?

Your answer says that God can not lift this rock (he creates one that he can't lift, therefore there is such a rock) - it is you in formulating that answer, that has declared a limit to God's power, when as I have shown this is entirely unnecessary! But that because he is God he can lift it anyway - which just makes the former (that he can create a rock that he can't lift) A LIE! - well that is a claim that God can do contradictory things;

If you want a truly contradictory concept try trhis one:

God can make a square circle even though a part of the definition of "Square" is "has four, and ONLY four sides" and of "Circle" is "Has infinite sides, no less." Logically impossible.

The point though is, in this particular question you DO NOT HAVE TO worry at all about contradictions because there are none!

In failing to realise that it is like asking a theist:

Can God make a Ham and cheese Sandwich?

And them replying: Yes; God can because he is infinitely powerful (Yay God)!

Its just silly because there is no need to mention infinite power, as it is not needed to answer the question!

Edited by ADParker

Ok maybe I hadn't made my point clear.

While you are claming that god is so much powerful that he cannot pass his own level of other's infinite abilities,

Well you are still forgeting a very big problem Which is: In youre solution god is UNABALE of doing somthing!!!

because he still can't creat a heavier rock than he is able lifting so--->I am still agree with the point that the forces are equals but adding the fix that he also can creat a rock that he can't lift BUT also to lift her...

Now the powers are infinties and god is able of anything!

BTW: I realy hope you will understand this because I've been thinking of this a long amount of time in my life so it is very complicated so I might need to talk to you a long time... But I also saw that you are the cleverest guy I know so I do think it won't be a problem to you to understand that and even fix me if I am wrong. ;)

Ok maybe I hadn't made my point clear.

While you are claming that god is so much powerful that he cannot pass his own level of other's infinite abilities,

Well you are still forgeting a very big problem Which is: In youre solution god is UNABALE of doing somthing!!!

because he still can't creat a heavier rock than he is able lifting so--->I am still agree with the point that the forces are equals but adding the fix that he also can creat a rock that he can't lift BUT also to lift her...

Now the powers are infinties and god is able of anything!

BTW: I realy hope you will understand this because I've been thinking of this a long amount of time in my life so it is very complicated so I might need to talk to you a long time... But I also saw that you are the cleverest guy I know so I do think it won't be a problem to you to understand that and even fix me if I am wrong. ;)

You are wrong I'm afraid. I too have been thinking on this for some time; in particular from my studying of Formal Logic in University.

The problem that you imagine, and is assumed by most, hence the assumed contradiction, is imaginary.

You claim (as the "naive atheist", posing the question so as to stump the theist, does) that it implies that God is UNABLE to do something, which is contradictory as the term "God" implies infinite ability.

This is false, not because God can do contradictory things - even if that were true, it could not be proven in a logical argument, as it is contradictory to logic. It would have to be proven directly (we would have to see the contradiction occurring) -

But because the question itself makes a false assumption; namely that there is (even possibly) a weight of rock that is beyond the LIMITS of God's lifting ability ("a rock so heavy that he can't lift it" - that states implicitly that there is a rock beyond his lifting limits) that there is a limit there to pass in the first place!

BUT it is implicit in the thought experiment (although it is rarely stated which is a logical mistake actually, but never mind for now) that God has no such limits!

So; the question states/assumes (not asks) that God has a limit that it is also assumed he does not have! :blink:

This is known as the Complex Question by the way. So another way to answer it could be to point out that the assumption that there is any such rock (beyond Gods lifting capacity) is erroneous and directly contradicts the thought experiment's definition of God. In other words that this assumption has been ruled out beforehand by the setting of the experiment. Thus that the question itself is logically fallacious! (It's kind of like asking what colour invisible unicorns are!)

I could go on:

You said "cannot pass his own level of other's infinite abilities"

Well no he can't, one can not pass Infinity. This is not an inability either, it is not saying X is UNABLE to do Y. It is simply saying that passing infinity makes no sense, it is irrational nonsense. You can not pass infinity because "infinity" does not describe a set point (set weight in this experiment) but rather is a way of stating that there is no such point, no upper limit - nothing to pass, that it is in fact impassable.

havent you guys ever seen family guy? killing yourself if you go back in time doesn't mean you don't exist in the future, it just means that there's no longer 2 existences of yourself <!-- s;) --><!-- s;) -->

#4 I agree and in addition - The girl will only affect the FUTURE of the PAST she visited. In her PRESENT her granny will be still alive. The only parallel universe she won't exist in, will be the one she got back to.

:mellow:

1.If the bullet was not shot, there is no problem, but if it was, it would propel the armour with it. (I actually typed 'armour' instead of 'armor' accidentally.)

2. No, if by drown you mean die; unless the fountain only provides eternal life to those who drink from it. Then Yes, but it would be hard.

3. I couldn't possibly.

4. Physics say she would create a parallel universe in which she was never born, but in which she now exists.

5. The weather channel would be wrong, but for haha's, we must assume that by 'twice as cold' they mean 'half as hot'. 0 deg K is absolute zero, as cold as it gets. In the USA they use Fahrenheit, so tommorrow it would be -230 deg ( -229 5/6 to be accurate). If we're talking Celcius it'll be -136.575 deg tommorrow. Told you, the Weather Channel is always wrong, it'll probably be sunny.

6. If by say you mean spoken, i could answer on paper, then say the opposite. If you include that and the like in your definition of say ... I am a Swindlecant, I can answer either way. And in case you're wondering, I did answer truthfully :-)

7.According to Einstien's Special theory of Relativity 'the speed of light is the same for all inertial observers regardless of the state of motion of the source.' So the headlights would seem normal to me, although I would effectively be frozen in time (and infintely massive, pure energy)

8. I've spoken to a reverend on a similar matter, God could make a stone he could not lift. After all, he gave us free will.

• 3 weeks later...

there has been conversation about how the girl might murder her grandmother after she was born. ect. ect. this is what i believe

if she killed her grandmother, BEFORE she was born, i think that she would have succeeded, but similar to Back to the future, dissapear, or cease to exist. she has altered the future. whats done has been done, and a new stream of time has been created.

if she killed her grandmother AFTER she was born, i still believe the girl who had wanted to kill her grandmother would cease to exist, because once again, the timeline is altered, the little girl remains, but, changed. different. any little thing in our lifes can alter the course. i was driving home with my friend, he slowed down because he saw a deer cross the road. because of that, we have altered the future there, whereas if he didnt not slow down, we might not have missed that deer...but what about the rest of the ride, and rest of our lives? because we slowed down, we might hit another deer. we changed everything.

its funny how fragile life and time is. every thing we do has a monumental effect on the future.

Number 4

If you were to go back in time and kill your grandma, you would be trapped excluded from time until someone stops you from killing her. or you will live in another "realm" in which time never exists due to the fact that you were there by ripping time. and the present will stay the same just having the time traveler vanishing

1. This is simple. Neither can exist together.

2. Even simpler. Duh, of course you can drown, just don't swallow the water. Silly.

3. What mission?

4. Trick question. The girl is Eve(Adam and Eve?). She has no mother, nor grandmother.

5. I was going to say the Weather Channel was a lie, but I realized I can't make fun of the weather. If we didn't have it, 9 out of 10 people wouldn't know how to start a conversation.......

6. No, but I will type it: No

7. Who cares about the headlights?!??! I can't listen to my music!!!!!!

8. There is no god.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if the car moves faster than the speed of light then even if he turns the lights on he wont be able to see it , as the speed of light from his headlights would be slower than his speed. and actually the light from his head lights would be from past not present. so the turn on event would never occur as it never happened as it was past.

Edited by TRK

no#7:

this is a context issue- if the car turns the headlights on then goes the speed of light it would look exactly normal(if you cal a car going the speed of light normal, that is)

Edited by killerbee

idk. maybe it gets stuck within the barrier. it penetrated it but the barrier did not allow it to go through 0.0

yes. #1) could be spiritual (being just an entity w/ no physical body)

#2)No because he has an eternal life and cannot die.

yes. he/she nvr said WHICH mission.also, u have not yet accepted the misson so ,when u DO accept the mission, ur mission will be to say no but u have already answered to the mission so that mission would be invalid

I believe that all aspects of change to "time" will not do anything mostly becuz, when u go back in time, u means u have already done so. there is no past event that can be changed to changed events in the future. to my understanding at least

it will feel twice as cold

Say yes. then say no.

u will see the headlights becuz the light rays will also hit ur eyes as they bounce off the particles in the air. direct light should also reach ur eyes

imma eat u -.-

For number 8 if god wanted to make a stone which he could not lift why dosnt he go ahead. i dont see the paradox.

For number 4 if she goes back to the past and kills her grandma than it seems logical that the affects of her actions would not take place untill she got back. this seems like the only logical solution

For number 8 if god wanted to make a stone which he could not lift why dosnt he go ahead. i dont see the paradox.
Because it is meant to imply that:

1. If YES he can create such a stone, then there is a LIMIT to his lifting ability - does not have infinite power, or

2. If NO he can not, then there is a LIMIT to his creating ability - does not have infinite creating power.

So YES or NO seems to imply a limit to gods assumed to be unlimited power.

I think there is a solution however:

Post #198