BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sudden Death

Question

(Sorry if this has already been posted!)

A woman was halfway up a deserted escalator when she suddenly realised her husband was dead. There were no windows and she had no phone. How did she know?

13 answers to this question

She was going to visit his husband in jail... sentenced to death by the electric chair.

The woman was running late. When she arrived at jail, the execution procedure was already set in motion and by the time she was halfway up in the escalator, the lights went off for a second and then resumed, meaning a dramatic surge in voltage. At this point, the woman knew his husband had just been executed.

Very dramatic, but I think it works for an answer.

They were in the hospital, and he was on life support. The escalator stopped because the power failed, and she knew his life support had failed as well. (Although presumably in real life, critical support systems would have backup power?).

as windows are mentioned, i ws thinking, are we talkin about elevator - escalator difference??

but it is no way related to death of her husband as far as i can think... but then again it is mentioned "she realised".... does that essentially mean she got the news then???